any makes to avoid

carol b

Hi all, first post for us. just looking to purchase our first motor home, previously caravanned for about 5 years.

Can you tell us the best places to find out which makes are recommended/to be avoided? have started to gather magazines and brochures and began to look this weekend.

on a first glance, we did like the Auto-trails, but on speaking to another customer at a showroom today, he wasn't impressed by them.

have £20K to spend.

maybe we should approach anyone we see with a M/H and ask their opinion?

thanks, Carol

Autotrail - We got a new one - Scout on a Merc base - ten years ago come August this year. We still have it and have just returned from a long week end in the New forest.

Its done us proud and the first failure occured this week end, the Fridge stopped working on gas, OK on 12 volt (mobile) or mains but only gets chilled on gas where B4 it was perfect. But I cannot blame Autotrail for a problem with a Dometic/Electrolux product can I.

I would suggest you come to one of the shows, look around and talk to people who have vans that tempt you. Peterborough in 2 weeks time perhaps or Newbury a couple of weeks later. Questions like

"Had it long?"

"How long do you intend to keep it?"

"Why did you chose that when there are so many others nowadays!"

"Had any mods done?"

Etc.

Also have in the back of your mind that peoples pride precludes most from admitting they made a mistake.

Then make up your own mind.

Broadly you get what you pay for.

For £20K you could buy a quality used coachbuilt (like mine - er no not yet!)

Or a new bargain basement van with small engine etc.

Look lots and ask lots B4 parting with any cash or signing on any dotted lines

Guest peter
Buy continental, British ones interior woodwrk too much like caravans of the 1980's. Just my opinion. I have a rapido so am slightly biased. :D

I also, looked long and hard before making purchase. Read umpteen magazines and websites, searching out the clues as to what suited MY needs. Then went looking at actual vans in dealers. Most were seemingly overpriced, or inferior quality, when comparing by prices and sizes. Did hire a newish one, an Elnagh, to try out the whole concept.

The right finding but wrong 'van. Found the overcab bed too restrictive and difficult to climb into, especially up a metal ladder !

The dinnette was also found to small for us, both being over 6 foot long !

So next was to reply to MMM ads for sale. Far too many ads were found to be out of date, with sellers saying the 'van had gone months ago.

However, the good thing was, many sellers gave their own opinions on makes and dealers, so I inadvertantly became more informed as to what to look for. Went to view a few private ones. I particularly liked the Autocruise versions. Layouts were good (for us) finish fine, mileages low, but many too tight behind the wheel for driving. Long legs need room to operate the pedals, especially if venturing away for long journies.

The one I really wanted had already had a deposit placed on it, so missed that sale.

Eventually, after 12 months of searching, found my ideal.

A Laika/Fiat 2.8 Ducato of 2004 vintage. Private sale, 10 thou miles only.

OK, the price is more than you aim to spend, but the vehicles are sound and have been around for a while, so you may find what you want by going Laika hunting.

They come very well finished, good layouts, many little praticalities, like extra storage shelves and cupboards in bathroom, plenty of lockers around interior, fixed bed of generous proportions, practical layout for dinning, heating, plumbing, cooking, exterior access for gas, water,waste,

odds & ends store, windows, roof vents, lighting and much more.

I have since been invited into other m/homes and reciprocated, and found, when comparing each others 'vans, the Laika is favourably commented upon by owners of other brand names, well known for their qualities!

So look around and be in no hurry, so you get it right first time, as we did.

Hi carol b

One thing to remember when taking other people's experiences into account is that models/manufacturers change over the years. By that I mean that what could very well have been a good make or model ten years ago may not now be the same. Manufacturers tend to have good and bad years and the same applies to models. I have heard some people swear by a particular model but others say that the newer version is not as good. Above all, what suits one persons needs does not necessarily mean it will suit yours.

Two years ago we bought a new model from what we had come to believe was a well respected manufacturer with probably the best reputation for after sales care in the UK. We sold it a year later, disillusioined and disappointed when the manufacturer failed to rectify a fundamental problem that they had repeatedly promised to put right.

The decision to replace the van was not entirely as a result of that problem but the decision not to go back to that manufacturer definitely was. In the end, after committing to paper all the aspects we wanted in a replacement and shortlisting the vans that provided most (if not all) of those things, we went for a continental van too.

Wingpete is right in saying try out as much of any van as you can in addition to just looking at the fit and finish. Not just a test drive of the base vehicle but try making, and lying on, the beds. Stand in the shower and bathroom and pretend to wash - you will be surprised to find that some of these facilities just don't work for you! Try to imagine how you would use the van for cooking, lounging and sleeping - not forgetting that you may be in the van for long periods when it is wet outside. Think about what you would need to take with you and where you would be able to store it - this will also influence you with regard to overall size and, crucially, the amount of payload you need and the particular van has.

Finally, none of this is intended to be nagative but turn it into a positive, enjoyable part of the buying experience. Getting the right van is the holy grail for motorcaravanners and can be difficult but taking some time now and thinking about what you want will help you get there.

Good luck with the search, David

We too did all the perusing of magazines, but as we are in France we could only use the UK ones, but it gave us some idea. We made a list of our requirements in order of preference, we went round the Dealers and finished up with a van with only one requirement not fulfilled, that was a separate shower within the washroom. If we had gone for a longer van this wouldn't have been a problem but we wanted to stay somewhere around the 6m, in the end our van is 6.2m. There is always a compromise.

The only thing I would say about continental vans is look for a gas fire as most continental vans don't have them and rely on the blownair heating which runs off the 12volt.

In the end we bought a 1998 Rapido and we are very pleased with it except at the moment we are having a problem with a cracked shower tray but this problem exists on other makes as well.

Randonneur - 2007-04-16 10:30 AM We too did all the perusing of magazines, but as we are in France we could only use the UK ones, but it gave us some idea. We made a list of our requirements in order of preference, we went round the Dealers and finished up with a van with only one requirement not fulfilled, that was a separate shower within the washroom. If we had gone for a longer van this wouldn't have been a problem but we wanted to stay somewhere around the 6m, in the end our van is 6.2m. There is always a compromise. The only thing I would say about continental vans is look for a gas fire as most continental vans don't have them and rely on the blownair heating which runs off the 12volt. In the end we bought a 1998 Rapido and we are very pleased with it except at the moment we are having a problem with a cracked shower tray but this problem exists on other makes as well.

Just a clarification re the above.  It is not strictly accurate to imply blown air heating is peculiar to continental vans, or that it runs off 12V.  Many UK made vans also use the Truma Combi blown warm air and water heaters.  Also, these heaters run off gas, and it is only the fans, both air circulation and flue, that run on 12V.  The electrical load is relatively small, and shouldn't put you off, unless you intend doing a lot of cold weather camping with no electrical hook up.  You'll get through far more 12V electricity running the 12V halogen lighting, or the telly, than those fans use!

May be so Brian but the killers are the Eberspatcher heaters and second worst I guess Propex.

If you want a van that you can support totally with solar panels then you need to steer towards Truma (or Carver) gas fires that work without the circulating fan running and when its at a sensible price LED lighting. Plus of course they are so much quieter than any of the blown air systems, especially Eberspatcher.

I had a brand new Eberspateher heater and sold it!

Clive

Brian Kirby - 2007-04-16 2:12 PM
Randonneur - 2007-04-16 10:30 AM We too did all the perusing of magazines, but as we are in France we could only use the UK ones, but it gave us some idea. We made a list of our requirements in order of preference, we went round the Dealers and finished up with a van with only one requirement not fulfilled, that was a separate shower within the washroom. If we had gone for a longer van this wouldn't have been a problem but we wanted to stay somewhere around the 6m, in the end our van is 6.2m. There is always a compromise. The only thing I would say about continental vans is look for a gas fire as most continental vans don't have them and rely on the blownair heating which runs off the 12volt. In the end we bought a 1998 Rapido and we are very pleased with it except at the moment we are having a problem with a cracked shower tray but this problem exists on other makes as well.

Just a clarification re the above.  It is not strictly accurate to imply blown air heating is peculiar to continental vans, or that it runs off 12V.  Many UK made vans also use the Truma Combi blown warm air and water heaters.  Also, these heaters run off gas, and it is only the fans, both air circulation and flue, that run on 12V.  The electrical load is relatively small, and shouldn't put you off, unless you intend doing a lot of cold weather camping with no electrical hook up.  You'll get through far more 12V electricity running the 12V halogen lighting, or the telly, than those fans use!

No all I was saying Brian, is that of all the vans we looked at here in France, very few had a gas fire most of them were blown air. If we were spending most of our time in the UK in winter I would prefer to have a fire especially if we were not on electric hookup. It is just one of the things to possibly put on the list.

thanks all for your input, hugely helpful. we are not in a rush, and to be honest, are enjoying the hunt! I think it helps that we have caravanned, so know what its like to be on site, living in a confined space, just got to find the right model now. have a list on the fridge that we keep adding to and know we will have to compromise on something, but some things are non compromisable (is that a word?)

A good way to get an honest assessment from an owner - approach an ex-owner, after we sold our last van thro MMM I would add, I had several calls from people who were thinking of buying a similar model and would I mind very much if they asked a few questions. They were polite and friendly and we chatted about pro's and con's for a while.

B-)

Just an update on my fridge,

The fitted model 4271 is obsolete and any that may be on offer are well past any guarantee from Dometic. The replacement fridge the 7271 is about £650 - ouch! Makes you think! So I took it out and by a process of elimination and bodges with pipework to by-pass any other controls identified a deficient flame. It was a nice little flame but should have been a nice medium flame! When the burner unit was removed and pipe disconnected the small pressed stainless steel jet fell out - took some finding. But a poke through with a thin bit of copper wire cleaned it out. All works perfectly again now and back in the camper! Phew.

Continental vans tend not to have cookers. If you are planning to use it abroad in the heat of summer, its not a problem. BBQing outside is all you need.

In the cold depths of northern weather its quite warming to have something in the cooker. ( I was going to say oven, but that might be misunderstood :$ }

It's a case of look and see.

We have a Hymer & much prefer the woodwork inside.

Look around and speak to people at shows, we are all friendly folk, but it's all a matter of preference, and waht you feel comfortable in.

Good luck hunting

thanks for that, have just today found the dealer in Kent to avoid!

severe attitude problem, overheard him telling another member of staff, whilst he was ignoring me, to lie to a customer, who coincidentally I bumped into outside and shared with!

How lucky they are to be able to turn away business!

even if it was the only MH in the world I wouldn't get it from there!

Archived