Towing Over 70 Years Old

Fred Duck

I realise this comes up regularly but I'm receiving confusing advice.

I'll turn 70 in January and therefore will have to renew my licence. I passed my test in 1969 so have BE, C, D etc on my current licence. The gross weight of our Motorhome is 3300Kg and I tow a trailer plated at a gross weight of 1400Kg. although the actual load including the actual weight of the trailer is usually about half of that. Will I be able to continue to tow the trailer with the Motorhome with BE on my renewed licence or do I need to also retain C with the associated medical? I can see no time when we'll have a Motorhome with a gross over 3500Kg.

FD

No you don't need a C licence for the set up you have.

You will retain your B+E and be able to drive any car or van that is up to 3500kgs, and tow anything that vehicle can tow; there are maximum limits but these are way beyond normal car towing capabilities.

Plus, should you along the line decide to go for a heavier vehicle, you can then apply to regain your C if you pass the medical; not taking it up now does not end it forever.

edit: this 3500 kg limit applies only to the vehicle actually been driven, not what it tows or any part of that.

Just like caravanners you can tow whatever the towing vehicle can legally tow, as long as the vehicle you are driving is somewhere up to 3500Kgs maximum plated vehicle weight.

Many thanks. That's all as I had understood things but I was being told differently by someone who's just gone through the same process. In addition, I've also found this on the C&MC web site that confirms the situation.

'What happens when I turn 70?

Your driving entitlement for Category B and Category B+E (provided Category B+E was held prior to the expiry date of their driving licence). Category B+E means you can drive a motor vehicle (i.e. car, van or 4x4) not exceeding a 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass towing any weight trailer or caravan within the prescribed maximum towing weight.'

Thanks again,

FD

Archived