Travel health Insurance

BS20

I expect a lot of you have been planning next years trip abroad, but prices seem to be a lot higher than last years premium for a person over 60 with a previous health condition.

So as you expect I am looking for recommendations for good cover in Europe for short trips of 2-3 weeks at a time, single trips or annual cover.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Have you considered Civil Service Insurance Society (CSIS), via National Federation of Pensioners (NFOP).

Pre existing conditions not excluded, and no age limit AFAIK, provided you get in before an age bar, and keep paying.

Depends on what you call expensive £375 for the two of us last March. As you also have to pay the NFOP membership, it works out at about £410 annual total. We are both considerably older than you, and both of us have pre existing conditions.

Alternatives could be bank or credit card insurance, but with pre existing conditions? Possibly with additional premium, but it did not work for mine.

Be warned that health insurance premiums rise sharply when you attain the age of 65, 70, 75.

Alan

Alanb - 2021-10-16 9:04 PM

Have you considered Civil Service Insurance Society (CSIS), via National Federation of Pensioners (NFOP).

Thanks Alan - that's who we were with!!!!

We never claimed but had good reports from one who did need to for a short hospital stay.

NFOP Insurance is no longer available in its past form. You needed to be a member for a qualifying period (a year if I recall) before you could join the insurance scheme.

It might have been regarded as expensive if you were in your early 60s with few medical issues, but the nature of the communal scheme with one premium for all becomes better value as age increases and health deteriorates.

It was ( is) generous in that it was for world cover for virtually limitless trips.

NFOP recommendations new members contact CSIS or covermystay.com for those with medical issues.

Existing members policies are currently protected.

Davy

Have used Caravan Clubs Red Pennant for years.

Around £300 for vehicle and two adults health per year.

However it rose at 80 to £900 which we declined!

Had a repair in France a few years ago and they were excellent....plus the cover pays part of the cost depending on vehicle age.

FWIW :-S

Alanb - 2021-10-16 9:04 PM

Alan

Do you get a lower price with NFOP than if you go direct to CSIS. I done a quote direct with CSIS but it excludes existing medical conditions unless cleared via phone call to CSIS.

Just reinforcing the information in a post above.

The NFOP scheme is currently unavailable to new purchasers, regardless of whether or not they meet the scheme's criteria. (The current underwriters will not take on new business).

Existing policyholders will be covered until the expiry of the policy at the end of February 2022.

At the moment, it is not at all clear whether the scheme will continue beyond that date with a new underwriter, and if it does, what any terms and conditions will be.

As I understand it the NFOP insurance has been suspended for new customers. Previously one could pay the premium at any time during the year – however the insured period was always 1st March to 28th February. At present new customers are not being accepted before 1st March 2022.

Apparently, the underwriters have changed.

Policies are still available through the CSIS

Cattwg :-D

...membership of the NFOP is still open, and they are having a membership drive.

The insurance plan however, not being a part of the core membership but an additional cost option with various eligibility criteria attached, is currently closed to new business (as above) and its future for existing policyholders, beyond the expiry next year, is indeterminate.

After searching various companies, as well as the ones mentioned here, I found M&S covered previous ailments and we are both covered for £95 for single trip and l if required less than £400 for annual including USA. £100 excess.

Archived