Early Adria twin "near-equivalents"?

pepe63xnotuse

Good morning all.Hope you and your loved ones are all keeping well...

Just a quick question if I may.

We like the look of the Pre-X250 Adria Twins and wondered if there are "similar" layouts of that era produced by other manufacturers?

As it would only be used as a festival/picnic/dayvan, the budget would only be (approx) £20,000?

We do need a total of four belted travel seats, with the cab seats swivelling to face the dinette table (and seats 3-4)

(We don't want the second pair of belted seats to be at the very rear of the vehicle, as per the usual VW Transporter layout).

We don't necessarily need a permanently "fixed" bed, it could be made up of small rear sofas,but we do want it to be at the rear.

So, any thoughts of possible models? or links to decent *model finder websites? (* I haven't had much success finding stuff that "old", hence the post).

Thanks..

I think I'm right in saying that the Adria Twin was the original motorhome conversion of a Fiat Ducato/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer to exploit its greater than average width to create a layout based on a rear transverse bed, mid kitchen and washroom and forward dinette comprising a forward facing banquette seat/dining table/rotated driver's-passenger's seats layout.

As such, and as it was a commercial success, pretty well every manufacturer in Europe, including several who had not previously marketed panel van conversions (PVCs) adopted the layout with tweaks here and there (slightly larger/smaller tables, washrooms, gas lockers, hobs, fridges, wardrobes, etc), so your problem will not be to find near equivalents, but selecting whose near equivalent best suit your preferences.

Ours is just one such.

Your budget will limit the range to older vans, as you imply - which will narrow the range somewhat - but you should still find a wide range within which to choose. You might do worse than combing Autotrader for examples.

But, with older vehicles, as ever, you will need to view what is on offer to gauge their condition (fit out, mechanical and corrosion). I think I'd be inclined to focus on condition over brand in the hope of minimising future repair costs, although re-upholstery can be a reasonably economical way to brighten up a tired interior.

Hi Brian. Thank you for responding.

Yes, Autotrader does have a pretty good "filter" system for it's searches..I was just curious in case I was missing some obvious model names, that I could be "googling"..

I have purposely set the budget low in order to help us avoid "mission creep"! :-D

(if we started out with it at 25K, we'd be looking at vans closer to 30k, which in turn gets us looking at 32-35k etc etc..)

Besides that, rightly or wrongly, by considering pre-X250 (X244?) era base vehicles, although they may well be slightly cruder and lower tech, I do like to think that they will have been well sorted by that point?

(Whereas the likes of early X250s may well be at the stage where expensive sensors/valves/looms are/have been playing up?...)

I could be wrong of cause.

My better half would quite like another coachbuilt ("..oow look at that one...and that one's got a bigger wardrobe.." etc. Hence the "mission creep"!) and although we didn't have any major horror stories with the coachbuilts we had before,they were, and will still be, overkill for what we'll be using it for, couple that with the age of vehicles we would probably be looking at now, we could end up with no end of issues (damp/botches repairs etc)?

It's all a bit "thinking out loud" at the moment..Thanks again.

pepe63 - 2021-10-25 2:23 PM

Besides that, rightly or wrongly, by considering pre-X250 (X244?) era base vehicles, although they may well be slightly cruder and lower tech, I do like to think that they will have been well sorted by that point?

(Whereas the likes of early X250s may well be at the stage where expensive sensors/valves/looms are/have been playing up?...)

I could be wrong of cause.

As a long time 'admirer' of the Twin layout I would point out that IMO it took a big step forward with the change from x244 to x250, but if the x244 suits then you should be able to get one significantly cheaper.

Archived