Comfort Insurance - rather limited cover?

DavyS

I have my motorhome accident and breakdown insurance with Comfort and was pleased to read on this forum that they now use The AA. I understand that the AA can read fault codes (saving you £50 at the repairers) and can contact AA central for advice. So that's good.

But before renewing I checked that the breakdown insurance met my needs.

There is no mention in the policy document of:

- lost keys replacement

- recovery if stuck in mud, snow or sand

- punctures

- flat starter batteries

Also they will only recover you to your home if your home is nearer than their contracted repairer. Nothing about recovering to a main dealer/repairer.

Anybody with Comfort Breakdown who can confirm this - or not?

yorkist - 2021-10-30 2:57 PM

We had a flat battery whilst on a caravan site, excellent service from the AA. New battery was needed, he left the site,

sourced a new one and fitted it.

All covered with Comfort.

Yorkist, there was a BBC consumer program criticising the RAC for always replacing the battery and then of course charging you for it. Evidently its a big money earner for them - they carry a stock of them in the van. They love to be called out to flat batteries!

Me, I'm fussy about what battery is fitted, so when the five years was up on my original starter battery I replaced it with a Varta EFB. Not cheap but good. I would just hate to have a battery of unknown make fitted at an exorbitant price.

Recently, due to a fault in my B2B system, my starter battery voltage, unknown to me, declined until on attempting to leave the site I found that the engine would not turn over. I just needed a jump start.

DavyS - 2021-10-30 2:18 PM

I have my motorhome accident and breakdown insurance with Comfort and was pleased to read on this forum that they now use The AA.

Davy, can you point to the post in which you read this please?

I believe Comfort switched their breakdown cover from RAC to DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd some time in 2018. The cover provided is described in a separate booklet published under Comfort's name as M/C Assist Breakdown Insurance Policy which, at least in my copy, is undated. The scope of cover appears adequate, but the booklet lacks the clarity of the earlier AVIVA/RAC drafts, especially where definitions of the terms used are concerned.

If they have now switched the cover from DAS to AA I would be grateful for confirmation, as ours will be up for renewal next month! :-)

Maybe if you compare the cost of the insurance linked cover to the cost of AA/RAC/Green Flag etc cover you may discover why the cover is less extensive?

'Orses fer courses - whatever suits the buyer's needs best is probably the best option to pay for?

We did once suffer a failed starter battery, fortunately on the way home near Calais, and a quick swap with one of the two leisure batteries soon got us going again in time to catch the ferry!

I've not tried it, but jump leads might have been easier, and certainly worth a try, isolating the leisure battery from it's connections first would seem sensible?

Brian Kirby - 2021-10-30 4:45 PM

DavyS - 2021-10-30 2:18 PM

I have my motorhome accident and breakdown insurance with Comfort and was pleased to read on this forum that they now use The AA.

Davy, can you point to the post in which you read this please?

I believe Comfort switched their breakdown cover from RAC to DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd some time in 2018. The cover provided is described in a separate booklet published under Comfort's name as M/C Assist Breakdown Insurance Policy which, at least in my copy, is undated. The scope of cover appears adequate, but the booklet lacks the clarity of the earlier AVIVA/RAC drafts, especially where definitions of the terms used are concerned.

If they have now switched the cover from DAS to AA I would be grateful for confirmation, as ours will be up for renewal next month! :-)

Brian this forum entry from Apr 2021 states that Comfort use the AA in two separate posts.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/comfort-breakdown-cover.236447/

That does not make it true though. The Comfort website is coy about who they use but has an AA logo at the bottom.

The cover provided is described in a separate booklet published under Comfort's name as M/C Assist Breakdown Insurance Policy which, at least in my copy, is undated. The scope of cover appears adequate, but the booklet lacks the clarity of the earlier AVIVA/RAC drafts, especially where definitions of the terms used are concerned.

Brian, I have that booklet but it does not mention the items that I listed in my OP post, lost keys, stuck in mud, etc

We are with Comfort Insurance. Regarding punctures, the policy says that they will not change a wheel if the vehicle does not carry a serviceable spare. This would seem to cover punctures. I agree there’s no mention of replacing lost keys or recovery if stuck. The flat battery scenario I would expect, and hope to be treated as a normal breakdown.

I’ve needed to call the AA on about six occasions over twenty years and have always had good service. But I heard a rumour recently that they now have to be called out by email, I do hope this is not so.

I did the same “get you home” trick many years ago when we were not with any breakdown service. Using the leisure battery for a one-off engine start did not seem to harm it.

Cattwg :-D

DavyS - 2021-10-30 5:28 PM

The cover provided is described in a separate booklet published under Comfort's name as M/C Assist Breakdown Insurance Policy which, at least in my copy, is undated. The scope of cover appears adequate, but the booklet lacks the clarity of the earlier AVIVA/RAC drafts, especially where definitions of the terms used are concerned.

Brian, I have that booklet but it does not mention the items that I listed in my OP post, lost keys, stuck in mud, etc

Thank you on both accounts, Davy.

yorkist - 2021-10-31 10:55 AM

Our battery was definitely dodgy, we had been having problems with it not holding a charge. He replaced it with a Bosch which we are more than happy with. The guy that came to us was really helpful, didn't feel we were conned at all.

Thank you Yorkist, it's reassuring to hear that AA has not gone down the route that the RAC were criticised for.

So you got a Bosch battery, I recommended a Varta which is the same as the Bosch under a different label - you got a top quality battery.

You say the fitting was provided by the AA under your Comfort insurance. As you might have seen form several posts on this subject, there is some confusion about whether Comfort Breakdown currently use the AA. Can you state how recently your experience was?

Although not part of the original query about the limits of the cover provided by Comfort Breakdown, this thread has in places wandered off onto the subject of which organisation actually performs the rescue. If that is something you would be interested in then you might be interested in the thread called "Comfort Breakdown insurance is AA in UK; DAS in Europe"

Archived