Paris quandry

Mel B

Hi gang

I'm looking for a bit of advice from the more well 'travelled' out there please.

We've going to France in a few weeks time and are trying to plan a visit to Paris, a bit of info about us first:

1) we have 2 dogs & and 24" motorhome

2) we like to ride our bicycles rather than walk when looking at towns etc (as you get to see so much more in the time available and it is less tiring)

3) all the campsites are quite a way out of Paris (naturally)

4) parking the motorhome in or near Paris will probably be a no-no.

The problem is that we can leave the dogs for a good few hours in the motorhome on a campsite but by the time we've travelled to Paris we don't want to end up rushing around it trying to see lots of bits and pieces and not really doing any of them justice. We can of course stay in the area for a few days but as we've only got a couple of weeks break we want to enjoy some more of France as well.

Is the campsite likely to complain if we leave the dogs in the motorhome, even though they wouldn't cause any problems?

If we stay at a campsite and leave the dogs in the motorhome there, will we be able to take the bicycles with us on the public transport? We were thinking of staying at the Maison Lafette (or some such spelling!) campsite, is this feasible and still be able to do Paris justice bearing in mind we need to get back for the dogs?

If we decide to take the motorhome closer to Paris centre will we be able to park and peddle in for the last couple or so miles? If so where can we park? Ideally we'd like to start off at the Chailot Quarter (near the Eiffel Tower) and work our way around from there but is there parking in that area as it is an open parkland area and near the racecourse. Is it likely to be prohibitively expensive?

Any help gratefully received.

Mel B

hi we went there a few weeks ago, (remember france first timer) we stopped at Camping and caravan site about 30 miles from Paris for two nights caught local train to Criel then on to Paris spent day and returned, now I know this does not meet your critea, but the owner of the camp site (which is basically a very large quarry), very wild and not neat hedges etc spoke excellent english was really really helpful, how about a phone call or he may be on the web, and ask if he would mind dogs I know it sounds cheeky, but that way you could catch early train (about every half hour in morning) and be in Paris by nine then have day and return by nine. Owner lives on site in big house in middle of quarry, The site was not busy and although by town not in it. Just a ten min walk to train station. We took tour bus round Paris , so saw loads, I admit though we could have done with several days there, but going back to dogs, site is ideal for them. Would not think bikes a brill idea in Paris as from what I saw the underground was the main Public transport and down three levels and then on to double decker trains, others may disagree.

Guest JudgeMental

sensible advice from mrs p hancox

Paris is BIG, tour bus or metro best way. bikes not a good idea

dogs a problem I am unsure how to deal with.

Hi Mel

Can't help re dogs, no experience in that department!

Maisons-Lafitte (still not sure of spekking, but I think mine's closer!) is a good choice, as there's a pretty good train service into town from there, but I must say agree with Mrs PH about the bikes.

Last time we were in Paris (admittedly a few years back now) we bought some kind of travelcard-thingy which allowed us on both buses and Metro. We used the Metro for scooting across the city, and the bus to go through areas we wanted to look at and enjoy. Eiffel Tower, Arch de Tr., Grand Arche de la Defense and Montmartre all in one day - not bad eh? Couldn't have done that on bikes!

I assume your MH is 24 FOOT, as I don't think Rimor do a 24-inch one (and anyway there wouldn't be room for the dogs).

Love always (except when you contribute "funnies!")

Tony x

Hi Mel,

I made a note some time ago of a suggestion that somebody made regarding parking in Paris.  In fact it was said that it was possible to overnight at the place?  Apparently not far from the Eiffel Tower on the riverside at Port Debilly off Avenue de New York.  Might be worth a look to see if there are motor caravans there.

Roy.

Hi Mel,

Our suggestion would be either of the two following sites on

http://www.campingparis.fr/

We have stayed at both and both are well into the Paris suberbs. Bois de Bologne is 15 mins from the Champs Elysees and Paris Est is 20 mins from the centre or 20 mins from Disneyland in the opposite direction.

There is a camp provided 'shuttle' bus from BdB and for Paris Est there is a scheduled bus service from the gate that takes you to the nearest RER/Metro station that takes you into the centra of Paris. All day all use get o get off travel cards for these available at the camp reception (one day use 8 Euro last year and relatively cheaper if you have a two day or longer ticket).

They accept dogs on site but I have not the need to be aware of the needs for pets so didn't really look.

We would recommend either of these sites being of a fairly high standard though they appear fairly pricey for France but bear in mind they are located in what is the Capitol City. Both have good walks around the site and along the rivers Seine and Marne respectively, good resturants and drinks establishments on the Marne river banks!

Bas

P.S. Unless you are fluent in French click on the Union Jack on the first page before proceeding to look at the sites, English is spoken at both sites and they are freindly and welcoming!

Hi Mel,

We stayed at La Belle Etoile last year http://tinyurl.com/2p2a32 using camping cheques so good value at £10.30 p/n inclusive with one free night 6=7, travelled into Paris by train in 25 mins, and took one of the open bus tours.

The on site lady owner speaks good english, will look in on your dogs when left in the MH, free minibus to station, although its only 30 mins slow walk.

Regards Terry

Maisons-Lafitte would be fine.  You can walk to RER which will take you to various city centre stops.  If you stick within the centre, Paris is quite small, and easily walkable.  La Defence is a bit out so would be worth a metro ride.  You should be able to buy a "carnet" of tickets which is a little book of, I think, five tickets, you just use on a per trip basis.  Arc de Triomphe is basically a huge traffic roundabout so unless you go to the centre (eternal flame for unknown warrior etc), it is interesting but probably won't detain you long!  Boulevard Housmann and Printemps and Galeries Lafayette are much more fun.  Have lunch at the Petit Flo in Printemps.  Simple menu and good food and value.

Thanks guys for the info so far. We went to Paris a couple of years ago for a very brief overnight visit to the Bois de Bolougne site and proceeded to have a drive round Paris on the Thursday evening thinking it would be quieter then .... so I know all about the roundabouts etc!!! It was an experience but not necessarily one I'd like to repeat in a large motorhome!

Seeing as the BDB site is closer we've now pretty much decided to go there instead (and to hell with the cost!) and cycle in. We'll be arriving on Saturday afternoon with our main 'Paris visit' day being Sunday - apparently there are lots of cycleways in Paris and on a Sunday the various tourist websites say it is pretty much 'the day' for cycling and walking around. The only thing we have to remember is not to lock the bikes to any street furniture, apparently it's a real no-no. We're quite experienced cyclists and every time we go on holiday, both abroad and in the UK, we do a lot of cycling into and around towns and cities so it doesn't phase us, we just have to be careful and remember that there are lots of idiots in vehicles bumbling around, plus as I tire very quickly when walking (chronic fatigue) but can ride a bike for miles usually without a problem, this is why we are keen to use the bikes. It also means that we can peddle back to the campsite and see to the dogs and then go back again if we want later in the day, or even take them with us if we feel like it (we've got a dog 'trailer buggy' now!).

Last time all we had time for was the drive around with me taking lots of snaps as we went, popping in and out of the camper whilst hubby kept the engine ticking over, got some good piccies of Notre Dame with the sun going down behind it and the Eiffel Tower coming out of the top of the camper, this time we want to have a really good shuftie, or as much as we can,we'll stay an extra day if necessary and again just peddle in and back as we feel.

Next question: is there anything there that you'd recommend we MUST see? More than likely going up the Eiffel Tower, to Notre Dame and the Louvre, anywhere else really good? Not into stuffy museums as a general rule, more into architecture.

Looking forward to your suggestions .... :-D

Architecturally, we were really impressed with the Grande Arche de la Defense, but as Brian says it's quite a way out. Easy to find though - it's the far end of a straight line from the Louvre (with its "mini-arc") through the Arc de Triomphe.

It's so big it gets clouds forming inside, and they put a fabric sheet across the middle to stop the rain!

The Arc de Tr roundabout used to be called the Place de l'Etoile, referring to its star-shape, which was also picked out in black and red paint on the roadway. I wonder why the French now insist on calling everything after Charles de Gaulle? From what I've been told (which may have come from biassed sources) he spent most of the war over here, letting lots of unknown people take all the real risks. Oh well, that's France for you - vive la difference!

This business of a dog-trailer behind the bike - aren't you putting the cart before the horse? Why not let them earn their keep by towing you?

Tony

Paris is best viewed from a LARGE OLD motorhome, this way you get a good view and respect from the little car drivers. Hope you enjoy the Perifipherique.

I have "duffed up" Paris twice many years ago but generally try to stay away from towns.

But if its your poison ......

C.

hi Mel

We've been to PAris a few times, intially staying centrally in hotels, but latterley in 2005 at the Bois de Bologne site with the motorhome. Its a good location, easy to find, and as previously mentioned they is (may be?) a shuttle operating from outside the site entrance, although the Paris Travel card is not usable on this.

the main bus service is 5mins walk around the corner. and links up with teh metro. The Longchamps racecourse is also just around the corner, and there are excellent walks accessible from the site, suitable for the dog/s.

We don't feel Paris City is particularly large, and most of the main sites are quite easy walking distance once in the city. in fact the first afternoon we were there, we had an 'orientation' walk from the site, and ended up at the Arc de Triomphe...!

personally we wouldn't go anywhere near a city to try and park, not only due to the usual difficulty with such a vehicle, but also it is far more secure on the campsite than on the side of a road or in a car park.

Whilst the Bois de Bologne site is not the last word in luxury, and is well below the standard of the CC sites in London, it's quite acceptable, and you may even be lucky enough (as we were) to get a 'riverside' pitch.....!

Enjoy - we love Paris, and have always been lucky with the weather - even over Christmas!

Archived