Trumatic Gas Heater Ignition

ramsay

Hi

The ignition would not work on my gas heater I replaced the battery on the ignition box. That worked perfect gas heater now works.only other issue I have with the heater now is the ignition constantly clicks even when the gas flame is on? It's been like that since I bought the motorhome 2 years ago Fiat Ducato roller team 2ltrD 2003 Does this effect the ignition box anyway, ? Does the ignition box need replaced? Thanks.

I think your 2003 “Auto Roller 2” has a Trumatic S-3002 convector heater (for which operating instructions can be found here)

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/service/self-service/product-family/truma-s-heaters?workspace=products&render_object_id=4f663bd1-e184-464c-9a56-6d66fa8d31e2

as that appliance has a small compartment in the 'ignition box' to contain an AA battery that provides auto-ignition for the gas burner. (drawing attached below).

I’ve no hands-onl experience of these Truma heaters, but there will be a ‘sensor’ on the gas-burner assembly that stops the ignition process once the gas-burner has properly lit. The igniter will click each time it produces a spark and the clicking should stop when the ‘sensor’ recognises that the gas has lit.

These (silent) videos show an early model S-3002 heater being disassembled and re-assembled

and the 1st photo attached below shows the burner-unit with the gas-ignition 'sparker' arrowed in red and the flame-sensor 'probe' arrowed in green

This video shows the burner unit removed from the heater for bench-testing and the gas-igniter can be seen sparking

(2nd photo below refers)

I don’t know what will need to be done to stop the clicking in your case. It may just be that the gas-burner assembly needs a good clean - do you know when the heater was last serviced?

690171808_batterycompartment.png.bb86306fc15a4d18ac34826b1c958680.png

burner.jpg.1ebd4aab16bff60e4dead8095724a78f.jpg

burner2.jpg.95821bf661fe59009816e7f1d084e224.jpg

I notice that there’s quite a lot of online talk about Truma heaters ‘clicking’.

In this late-2017 MHfun thread (that doesn’t exactly cover what your heater is doing)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/truma-s3002-gas-heater-problem-battery-ignition-starts-ticking-when-fire-heats-up.166145/

Dave Newell advised

"When the "ticking" starts can you still see a flame in the window? If yes then the ignition module probably needs replacing. The thermocouple controls the gas valve, the ignition is controlled through "flame rectification". The ignition module is not terribly expensive and is very easy to replace . The fire would also probably benefit from a good clean and service.”

The ignition module (ignition box) currently costs £80-£100, but that might not be the culprit in your case and it would be a pity to shell out for a new ignition module and then find the problem persists. The problem does want addressing though, as besides running down the AA battery that provides power for the sparking, the continuous sparking won’t be doing the burner any good. Probably best for you to have the heater properly serviced, when the technician should be able to confirm whether or not the ignition module needs replacing.

Archived