Headlamp bulb regulations

Derek Uzzell

Within the "Stardream Lamps" thread beginning 10 April 2007 the subject of headlamp bulb maximum wattage arose.

I contacted a senior engineer in the Transport Technology and Standards section of the Department for Transport and asked if he could clarify the situation.

I said:

"Two years ago you kindly provided me with valuable information on GB headlamp regulations for imported vehicles. Could you now advise me, please, on another headlamp-related matter?

Let's use my 1995 VW Golf as an example. Each of its two headlamp units carries a H4 12v 60/55w bulb (60w high beam/55w dip beam), plus a H1 12v 55w bulb that operates only when high beam is selected.

I am aware that both of these bulb types are marketed in 'high performance' versions where the voltage and wattage remain unchanged but the improved bulb-design provides greater light output than the standard product. Such bulbs are advertised as being fully "street legal".

I also know that both bulb types can be obtained in higher wattage versions (eg. H4 100/80w or H1 80w), but such bulbs are advertised as being suitable for "off road use only".

I have been trying to find out what makes a vehicle headlamp-bulb legal for road use in GB. The general view seems to be that there are GB (or European) rules that define maximum wattages for specific bulb types used for particular vehicle lighting applications, but nobody seems able to tell me exactly what these maxima are or where the relevant regulations can be found..........I'm guessing that, when a headlamp is type approved to European regulations, the type and wattage of the bulb chosen by the headlamp manufacturer falls within the scope of that approval. On that basis, as my Golf's headlamps would have been type approved with H4 60/55w and H1 55w bulbs, then only H4 and H1 bulbs with those specific wattages may be legally fitted to the car's headlamps. Essentially, it's a headlamp's type approval that restricts the wattage of the bulb(s) that can be fitted to it rather than maximum limits on the bulbs themselves."

The DfT engineer replied as follows:

"To sell a headlamp bulb for road use, it must be approved (which means tested to a particular European regulation) and 'e-marked'.

You are close in what you surmise, but not quite correct. The category of bulb determines the wattage - e.g. H4 is always 60/55w. H1 is 55w - a H1 100w is not allowed.

Some manufacturers take the H4 'base' (the bayonet fitting) and add a higher power bulb. That is not legal for road use. (See second attachment - ECE Regulation 37 contains the bulb ('filament lamp') specifications for all bulbs that are road legal.)

When a headlamp is type approved to headlamp regulation (e.g. Regulation 112) the manufacturer selects the type of bulb that will be used."

To sum up then, it appears that the only bulbs that can be used legally in a motorhome's headlights are bulbs with the same approved technical specification (and hence the same wattage) as those originally chosen by the manufacturer of the headlights.

So, if your headlights originally have (for example) 'ordinary' 60/55w H4 halogen bulbs, you can legally swap these for (say) Ring UltraXenon 60/55w H4 bulbs (claimed to provide 60% more light on the road).

However, you can't legally change the original bulbs to 'unapproved' Ring SportzBlue 100/80w bulbs, even though the latter (because they are dimensionally identical to an 'approved' H4 bulb and have the H4 bayonet fitting) will actually fit in your motorhome's headlamp-units.

Excellent Derek!  Also reassuring the old grey matter isn't quite duff yet; I'd a feeling those higher wattages were "illegal".

Beyond legality, there rest the matters of possible warranty invalidadtion should the headlamp or wiring be affected by the higher wattages (and hence currents and temperatures), involved, and whether the generator can keep up with the extra demand while charging two (or more) batteries, the fridge, the radio, the heater fan, all those pretty marker lights and, possibly, the wipers!

If the headlight outputs seem too low, might it just be our peepers' night vision failing, rather then the headlights not having enough power?  They do, you know, depressing though it is!

Thank you very much Derek for clarifying that. I had (mistakenly now it would seem) always beleived that 120Watts was the maximum main beam wattage for a single bulb. AAhh well, we live and learn.

D.

P.S. mine are actually legal 'cos I've got the Ring ultrxenon 60/55 bulbs fitted, sure about the claimed 60% improvement but they are definitely better than halogens of the same Wattage.

D.

Hi

Do bulbs get tired? I've had a couple of cars where the lamps seem less effective than I would have expected the original customer to be happy with.

Not my eyes getting tired, cos lamps have been okay when I've driven other vehicles.

I've also met heavy steering, and wondered how they managed to sell those cars to women, when they were current.

W3526602 - 2007-04-19 5:31 PM Hi Do bulbs get tired? ..................... 602

Apparently, yes they do.  The loss of output is gradual, but after a few years it is probably worth changing the standard lamps for new, even if of the same type/wattage.  You should see an improvement in output.

However, the reflectors and "lenses" also suffer from blooms, scratches and a gradual loss of transparency and reflectivity respectively.  If this is the cause, generally, new headlamp units are the only real remedy.  Ouch!

Couple of years back there was talk of changing regs to test for luminosity of lamps because of the brighter newer types of bulbs, have not heard of anything lately.

When driving van, others having overly bright lights is not too much of a problem, but in my phaeton its a real pain, anyone using 100w bulbs, not dipping or having lefthand drive dipping headlamps risks a head on colision as I guess where to drive, unfortunatly due to lack of crash protection I will come of worse :-(

Archived