Gas bottles

Bazhornet

I am off to France via Eurotunnel for the 1st time this year and their T&C's state that all LPG tanks must be no more than 80% full. I read an article in MMM recently regarding Gaslow refillable bottles only being filled to 80% capacity. Is this the case with regular propane/ butane bottles, as I was expecting to have to part use my new one before travelling and was then wondering how I would know if it was less than 80% full???

Hi bazhornet

Your Calor bottles will come filled to 80% capacity. This is required to allow sufficient space for the liquid to gas and not send pure liquid petroleum to your equipment.

Some of the early refillable bottles on the market did not have an automatic shut off when they filled to 80% but Gaslow do have.

Have a good trip, David

Interesting one this, I have never found out if this information is correct but according to the tunnels rules, as stated on

www.ukmotorhomes.net/archive.shtml

down the page post dated 09/07/04

any gas tank for domestic services must be part of the 'standard equipment of the vehicle' and also must have a contents guage. There are few if any Motorhomes that would comply with this I would have thought.

Clearly they don't adhere to this if it is correct as how many vans have gas cylinders or tanks as 'standard' equipment and how many have contents guages?

Bas

I agree,

Providing the cylinder is turned OFF and that it is securely retained in position then they should be satisfied. They don,t like gas propelled vehicles because (unless its duel fuel) the gas has to be turned ON to be able to drive the vehicle.

I have never and have no intention of using the tunnell anyway so its all accademic to me. From my viewpoint and knowing what the fire precedures are (should they ever do it right) its only fit for freight.

But if you want to risk it its your decision.

Anyway, without going on a boat surely it cannot feel like "foreign" can it?

C.

Clive - 2007-04-20 5:50 PM

My bulk tank became standard equipment when I fitted it. It was standard from that point in time onwards! The kit from MTH included a fuell gauge which is accurate.

Hmm, I don't think that is the definition of standard equipment. Obviously you will have informed your insurance company that you had it fitted as they usually want to know anything that is fitted affter construction because it is non-standard!!

Bas

Archived