Credit Card Charges

ChasB

I am planning a trip to France at the end of May and it was my intention to use my credit card similar to previous years to make purchases such as fuel, food, site fees etc. However I have just found out that I will be charged 2.75% on all transactions within the EU. This is a new charge since this time last year.

This applies both to my Nat West Access and Caravan Club Mastercard. I know I could use cash for all purchases but then there is a risk of a substantial loss in the event of theft. I resent giving the banks and credit card companies 2.75% of all I spend.

Does anyone know of a credit card company that does not make these charges.

Try looking on the Martin Lewis website www.moneysavingexpert.com

He has several article on which credit card is best for you and a specific article on which card to use on holiday. Think this will cover all the info you need.

It's also an excellent site for all other financial issues - big and small.

Jaz

Hi,

I opened a Flexaccount with Nationwide.There are no charges world wide. I use their Debit Card. It requires an opening amount of £1. I transfer money to this account before travelling and move it out if necessary when I'm home. You can obtain a Nationwide credit card which also doesn't attract charges. It's getting harder all the time to find cards which don't charge. The Caravan Club card used to have no charges in the EU but was taken over by another bank and since October 2006 has charges for overseas use.

Bill Ord

Bill Ord - 2007-04-20 5:31 PM Hi, I opened a Flexaccount with Nationwide.There are no charges world wide. I use their Debit Card. It requires an opening amount of £1. I transfer money to this account before travelling and move it out if necessary when I'm home. You can obtain a Nationwide credit card which also doesn't attract charges. It's getting harder all the time to find cards which don't charge. The Caravan Club card used to have no charges in the EU but was taken over by another bank and since October 2006 has charges for overseas use. Bill Ord

But Bill, they pay half reasonable interest on your balance if you leave the money in!

Chas B

Just used my Nationwide credit card in USA, no charges on purchases, also used Debit card for withdrawing cash, no charges. So will use it exclusively in France during June.

Used to use caravan Club card but since they introduced charges have not used it and will probably end account.

Doug

colin - 2007-04-20 7:31 PM

Isn't there a debit card from the PO that has no charges?

Just had a look at the Post Office website:

0% on balance transfer for the first 8 months (2.5% balance transfer fee)

0% on purchases for the first 3 months

0% commission on purchases abroad

More info from:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19400177&mediaId=34100665

As for Caravan Club, yup that's why we've applied for the Nationwide card to get free purchases abroad but we'll still use the Caravan Club card in the UK as we get the free night vouchers which come in handy.

We have a Euro debit card with Lloyds Bank. We opened an account off shore in the Isle of man, (you can do it through your local branch of LLoyds), then before we go we change sterling into Euros and then we can draw the money straight from the account at an ATM machine like you do in the UK. The charges are worked out in advance so you know what you are paying. There are no commission charges as it already is in Euros.

We have used it widely in Spain in shops, cafes and petrol stations with no problems at all.

Be aware though that all Spanish banks will charge you for drawing out cash from an ATM, even if you have an account with them and you are in credit! So don't keep going back every couple of days!

I don't know what bank charges are levied in France.

ChasB - 2007-04-20 5:03 PM

I resent giving the banks and credit card companies 2.75% of all I spend.

Does anyone know of a credit card company that does not make these charges.

Yes, Nationwide make no extra charges for use in the EU. :D

One othere aspect to this - if no actual flat or %age fee is paid, check if the rate of exchange is less favourable! It's the old story of any 'product ' having to be paid for, one way or another, and 'credit' is no different. You merely choose where you buy (whether it's goods or money) and pay the price at that particular 'shop'.......

For several years now, we've used a Euro Credit card account with Cater Allen (part of the Abbey Group), send them funds in UK£, they convert at a 'commercial rate' (better than the tourist rate), and we can use the card in Euroland without fees, whether for cash form the ATMs or for purchase of goods/fuel etc.

Tomo3090 - 2007-04-20 9:30 PM

Be aware though that all Spanish banks will charge you for drawing out cash from an ATM, even if you have an account with them and you are in credit!

I've got an Abbey International Visa CC and there are a few banks that don't charge commision on cash withdrawals here in Spain.

Also there is no charge for using as a CC and you get interbank rates worldwide.

With my Spanish bank account, some banks here in Spain charge 2.80 euros for a withdrawal!!

MOTORHOMER - 2007-04-21 12:12 PM

Yes there is a Post Office card that is free from charges for EU countries . It is fairly new so know little about it.

Motorhomer

According to the Post Office website there is a 2% cash withdrawal fee. Quote:-

Charges

Cash Advances are subject to a handling fee of 2% subject to a minimum of £2.00.

A cross-border fee of 0% will be applied to any Transactions taking place outside the UK.

Most consumer sites - like Which and moneysavingexpert recommend Nationwide, we've been with them for years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as well. They don't have shareholders - just members and so I guess don't have the same driving need to rip everyone off!! :->

B-)

I assume that everyone knows there is a charge made for every credit card transaction in the UK, not just in europe? Its just that this charge is not usualy shown sepperatly on a bill and most shops and garages in effect charge debit card and cash customers a little extra to sub the credit card users, those shops like travel agencies etc that charge you extra for credit card use are in fact being fairer.

Hello

A cash advance is borrowing money you have not got so yes there would be a charge if you use any credit card ie visa to do this even in France etc. . Drawing money out from a cash machine via Nationwide flex card is your own money so there is no charge. In France etc most credit card companies charge commission when making purchases whereas the post office visa card as far as i am aware do not and neither does nation wide. The post office card as faf as i know is a credit card only .

Motorhomer

Archived