N623 Santander to Burgos.

Delfy

Usually use The Tunnel so Brittany Ferries is a new experience.

Please can you tell me if the N623 from Santander to Burgos is a Motorhome friendly route on our way south to Murcia and Cartagena at the beginning of April

If anyone can fill in the rest of the route then two old ladies would be very grateful. Thankyou

Delfy

Thanks Derek. Have you driven this one.? .I looked on YouTube and it didn’t look too bad .. but you can’t always tell. Got caught in Morocco on high, steep roads that came as a shock and now I want easier drives.

The N623 is a great road passing through some glorious scenery - ample width although a tad rough in parts. Almost lorry free as they tend to use the N627 and A-67. It's really nice - do take some time to enjoy it.

The contrast as you climb out of the lush green Cantabrian valley and crest onto the arid plateau at Embalse del Ebro is breathtaking.

No there's nothing 'squeaky' at all.

When heading North on the 623 the descent down off the Sierra into Cantabria needs heavy engine braking to save the brakes, but that's because it's a very long descent rather than particularly steep.

It's a road you can enjoy without any concerns.

If you follow the first part of the route then the next part would take you south to the east of Madrid, then Albacete then to Murcia if that is your final destination. The mid part of Spain can be a little short of stopping places for the night, but it an easy route to drive but do plan your stops in advance, generally no booking necessary. Enjoy the trip.

Archived