Very empty dealership

GandJP

I visited a dealer on my way home yesterday after a couple of days away to get a couple of things from their shop and I have never seen them as empty with so very little on show new or secondhand. Is this typical with other dealers or have they just had a busy time and not been able to restock?

Stock of used vans seems to vary greatly. Todds usually have a full indoor showroom, there website shows a stock of 3 at the moment and 2 due in, Spinney have reasonable levels of stock , 4front in Sussex show 50odd on their website including 22 Auto-sleeper used vans and they aren't AS dealers. Their prices are always high but maybe that's the reason, perhaps they are prepared to pay higher prices to get stock.

GandJP - 2022-01-28 4:28 PM

I visited a dealer on my way home yesterday after a couple of days away to get a couple of things from their shop and I have never seen them as empty with so very little on show new or secondhand. Is this typical with other dealers or have they just had a busy time and not been able to restock?

They're 2 main reasons for the shortages.

There has been a couple of major fires at the largest "Chip" manufacturing plants. So chips for cars/ trucks/ and computers are in short supply. The supply chain is now trying to catch-up with regards of lockdowns during the pandemic, and are only now starting to try and catch up on manufacturing.

The other reason, is that in the UK, dealers have "benefited" by the so called Staycation effect. The majority of stock has been sold. The next scenario, will be a surge in 2nd hand stock as people sell their recently bought vehicles, and getting back to going abroad for their beach/sun holidays, without their vans/ caravans.

paulmold - 2022-01-29 9:23 AM

Stock of used vans seems to vary greatly. Todds usually have a full indoor showroom, there website shows a stock of 3 at the moment and 2 due in, Spinney have reasonable levels of stock , 4front in Sussex show 50odd on their website including 22 Auto-sleeper used vans and they aren't AS dealers. Their prices are always high but maybe that's the reason, perhaps they are prepared to pay higher prices to get stock.

Yup 4Front always have a good stock level but pay well for their stock.Recently sold them mine for what I was expecting to get privately.They sold it with 2 weeks for almost what I paid for it new 3 years ago.Now waiting for our new A class with no real expectation it will arrive e when expected.

Archived