Gas drop hole

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody - 2022-02-06 2:42 PM

OK. We're getting there, I think. It's astonishing what you see but don't register - the notice on this cover, for example is what the issue is and I hadn't picked up. Should that pipe insulation be around the cold water pipe? What will happen if I remover it? I will send the photo the Elddis to get their view. Either it was done by them on conversion or by the first owner before we bought it.

..your guess is as good as mine, but, if the rear edge of the "black box" is open, and there is a void and grid underneath (passing to clear air), I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had been built like that, using a convenient floor hole for two purposes.

If there is enough cross-section of free air-flow, it would probably suffice for gas safety.

I’d concur with the above. I suspect that a hole was drilled in the top of the gas drop hole cover to allow pipework to make use of the gas drop hole underneath the cover. To be effective the gas drop hole must be flush with the floor so as indicated by Robinhood it’s worth checking that the aperture at the rear of the cover is indeed clear of obstruction – fingers and/or a torch and a mirror might be appropriate.

The 1st attached image shows the position of a 2019 Elddis Majestic 120's oven and the large drawers beneath.

The 2nd image is a copy of one of Alistair's photos and the blue item I've marked with a green arrow is a Whale "Watermaster" water pump.

The Majestic 120's specification indicates that a Whale "Expanse" underfloor appliance was used for water heating, and I'm guessing that the blue water hose (with the pipe-insulation wrapping) leads to the "Expanse" and the red hose returns from it.

As has already been advised, if the raised plastic cover with the "DANGER" notice on it is open at floor level on the far side of the red and blue hoses (and that aperture connects to a hole beneath the vehicle) the cover should act as a gas-drop vent. If the only opening in the cover is the one in its upper surface through which the water hoses pass, then the cover cannot be considered to be a gas-drop vent, and removing the pipe-insulation won't convert it into one.

oven.jpg.d1aacc8229e92204c90f1cf23a53b2c0.jpg

1.jpg.9c40ef5958abe239d63f5a2f000a062d.jpg

The blue pipe is on the suction side of whale pump & will go to the water tank.The plastic cover allows you to put things in the cupboad without covering up the gas dropdown hole.In one of the pictures you can see the hole has been enlarged to fit all the pipes in.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Robert.

Thanks for the explanation - tweaking the last of Alistair's photos shows that, on the far side of the cover, there is a hole in the floor into which another blue hose disappears (green arrow on image attached below). Presumably this is the gas-drop hole and (as you've said) the plastic thing that carries the "DANGER" warning is just for protection. If that's correct and the pipe insulation does not protrude into the floor-hole itself, there should be no real obstruction.

4.jpg.1b0d7a3a0726192943cefab482f31ec4.jpg

This just in from Elddis. “ I have spoken with our technical team and they have advised that the insulation is fitted by us in production to insulate pipes that travel under the van, to prevent pipes from freezing, it should have been terminated under the floor area and the slight excess can be trimmed off.”

Thanks again folks.

Archived