Selling motorhome

qwark

I don’t think you’ll find any one best way to sell, it all depends on your risk propensity and what you would regard as success factors.

Writing personally, I bought my motorhome via Ebay and would sell it via an Ebay classified advertisement. That way it would reach the largest market place and give me the potential to maximise the sale price (my success criteria). But then I’m familiar with Ebay buying/selling and would know how to protect myself against scammers.

Alternatively you could sell to a dealer, which would probably be both hassel free and low risk and would achieve the lowest price; or sell via an agent which would probably in both risk and price terms sit somewhere between the two.

qwark - 2022-02-06 7:50 PM

Thanks for your advice. Is ebay problematical with bank transfer.

Regards Tom

I’d advise against using Ebay for payment. Much better to state your own payment terms. If it were me I’d state that I’d only accept an offer to purchase from someone who has viewed the vehicle and was UK based, that they must pay a non returnable deposit of £500 or £1,000 via Faster Payments system within 24hrs to confirm their purchase and must complete the full payment and collect the vehicle within ten calendar days. Final payment would have to be via multiple Faster Payments system or CHAPS and in my account before the vehicle was released. So no cash, no cheques of any kind, no BACS transfer.

Just read Bruce’s reply and was surprised to see Bacs payments not being ideal.

I take bacs all the time and when I spoke to the wife, she said they can be reversed.

Doesn’t seem right they can pay in and ask for it back.

I’ll certainly be more careful in future.

I heard that when the pandemic was on, motorhomes & caravans were selling at silly prices, so I put mine on ebay for a silly price and someone bought it.

I asked for a Bacs transfer after viewing for a deposit and as soon as the money went into the account I moved the money to another account which left the original account almost empty. Done the same when the balance went in so it could not be returned.

I think that by mid 2022 loads of motorhomes will be market as foreign holidays will be back on so I will look for a another one and I hope a newer one than the one I sold.

Den - 2022-02-07 11:09 AM

Just read Bruce’s reply and was surprised to see Bacs payments not being ideal.

I take bacs all the time and when I spoke to the wife, she said they can be reversed.

Doesn’t seem right they can pay in and ask for it back.

I’ll certainly be more careful in future.

I'm not sure why Bruce would refuse a cash transaction.....unless i'm missing something. :-S

As for BACS transfers, they can only be reversed on the day it's made but once funds have cleared, it can't be reversed. I've used this payment method numerous times for many things without any problem whatsoever. Here is a Q & A on BACS; https://tinyurl.com/ycksu9c9

I think your wife may be confusing it with cashback scams on credit/debit cards.

BACs was designed for cheque clearing so whether done electronically or via paper the banks have up to six weeks to reverse the transaction. CHAPS and I think Faster Payments is irreversible. If dealing with honest people BACS is fine. Good luck identifying honest people though.

Re cash, firstly you run the risk of being party to money laundering/tax evasion and secondly to receiving conterfiet notes. As I mentioned, it all depends upon your risk propensity.

Just picked up Bulletguy’s link. I think that there’s a difference between an individual attempting to cancel a BACS payments (one day) and a bank reversing it – the later can take place for a number of reasons including perceived fraudulent funding.

Archived