Split waste water hose

rooster63

Whilst cleaning van after recent trip noticed that the corrugated flexible waste pipe for the bathroom sink had basically split in two, just hanging on by a thread. The sink is a tip up model and it had split where the pipe has to flex when the sink is raised and lowered I suppose as the van is nearly 10 years old the pipe had become brittle.. I have removed the plug hole/drainer with the broken pipe and got my wife to wiggle the pipe that disappears down behind the toilet hoping to be able to spot the pipe as it emerges from the floor of the van. No luck on that front as the 2 pipes under the van (the other is the shower) are sealed in solidly with Silkoflex or something similar. Had hoped to thread a new pipe through and connect to the waste tank. Plan B is to buy a short section of new pipe and using a ribbed connector and jubilee clips to connect it to the existing pipe behind the sink. With a ribbed waste pipe (but smooth inside) will I get a watertight connection? Secondly when I re-attach the plug hole do I just rely on the sealing rubber, not that I can see one? Will probably buy a new plug hole as the pipe the waste pipe slips onto is quite distorted. Do they usually come with some sort of washer?

Well plan B sounds like a reasonable repair to me, and a lot Simpler, if you can see the repair when looking for it you can keep an eye on it for leaks, I think I would probably wrap the joiner connection with PTFE tape to be sure of a good seal and as the waste water will be under very little pressure I see no problems regards leaks, as for the drain plug hole I would expect some sort of O ring rubber seal of some sort but if not use an O ring of the right size easily obtained plus a squirt of Silicon sealer or Sikaflex sealer or something similar to be sure of a good seal ? good luck

The usual arrangement with tip-up washbasins (even when the basin has a plug-hole) is for the water to drain into a 'trough' behind the basin and for the trough to carry a drain hose. But if your 2013 Timberland Destiny has the washbasin shown in the attached photos, the basin's off-centre plug-hole seems to be connected to a dedicated narrow-bore hose on the left that - as you've mentioned - would flex when the basin is lowered or raised.

Without seeing the installation in the flesh it's hard to know exactly how best to carry out the repair. If the elderly flexible pipe has become brittle below where it has broken, you'll need to be very careful using jubilee clips to attach a new pipe to it. And you'll need to be VERY VERY careful at the washbasin end as these basins can be easily damaged and it's quite likely that finding a new replacement will be impossible nowadays.

washbasin2.jpg.1a7e044fb825fe62971f9d415a77b652.jpg

washbasin.jpg.d36e8499209dda48f3b781922864c8b7.jpg

Thanks for your replies, spot on Derek that is the sink I have. I think the fiddly bit will be trying to manoeuvre the sink drainer back into the hole. Hopefully the pipe isn't too brittle further down for when I attach the new section of pipe.

Although I am very please with my Destiny one glaring design fault in the drainage system is that the single drain hole for the shower is on the right hand side and the drain for the sink is on the left so unless the van is perfectly level water either drains the shower or the sink and if there is any water left in the sink when it is tipped up it pours down the side of the toilet and onto the floor.

Will let you know how I get on.

I have thought about my earlier reply to your question and I think just joining the hose as you plan could create a pinch point in the hose as there will be a rim inside the hose due to the joiner ? and could become blocked at a later time with hair toothpaste and soap residue ? just a thought ?

Good point but looking under the van it would be a major undertaking to remove the old pipe, certainly would need to be on a hoist to gain good access. Maybe try the temporary repair and book in for a professional job at some point. If the pipe does get blocked it wouldn't be too difficult to access the join and clean out.

Will order parts later today so will be a couple of days before can report back.

Job done I hope although when I removed the sink drainer realised that the outlet pipe was quite distorted due to the jubilee clip maybe being over tightened. Sent for a new one but wrong size, hole in sink is only 36mm in diameter and can’t seem to find a replacement part. After 3 attempts I think I have got a water tight joint. Don’t want to use any sealant as I may have to remove the drainer at some point so need to be able to detach the hose. Except for where the split was the rest of the old hose seemed in good condition, flexible with no obvious cracks so was able to join a new bit of hose to the old using a ribbed connector. Hopefully it is all water tight, not sure if anything leaks where the water will end up, hopefully it will find its way out of the van without doing any damage

I assume you've used the type of connector shown in the 1st image attached below and shown on this advert

https://www.spares2you.co.uk/caravan-hose-connector-28.5mm-00078?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcm_q-CI9gIVjQCLCh0NmA29EAkYAiABEgL7evD_BwE

I appreciate your wariness about using a sealant in case you wish to remove the washbasin in the future, but I suggest you use Ferrnox LS-X externally at the joints to ensure you get a watertight seal and still be able to disassemble the connections easily if you ever need to.

https://fernox.com/product/ls-x-external-leak-sealer-50ml/

I can't help with the washbasin fitting without seeing the original, but if it's the type with a 'side outlet' (example in 2nd attached image) a GOOGLE-search on "caravan wash basin outlet" produces plenty of possibilities. As the hole in the basin is 36mm-diameter, Timberland may have used a 1.25" fitting.

connector.jpg.d0a9f52141669fae4cf1ae8faea2f772.jpg

1703199062_drainoutlet.png.c09f52d0f1c56deff82ee733a070c4b0.png

Thanks Derek, will look into the sealant. As for the sink waste I sent for a waste from camperinteriors and it is labelled as 1 1/4” and yet it is far too big. Searching the internet high and low has produced no valid results so far.

And yes I did use the type of connector pictured with jubilee clips.

Archived