Spare Wheel

kevin hawkins

I have just had a gas conversion done on a Pinto engine tranny caravanette. It now runs really well. However, I have lost the space where the spare wheel sat. My problem is now where do I fit the spare wheel or do I go for chemical injections into the tyre to prevent puncture. Has anyone fitted the spare wheel to the back door and if so does the weight affect the hinges and also where did you get the brackets from? Does anyone know of a thinner wheel, known as an emergency spare wheel? I have thought about putting it on the bull bars on the front but suspect that it would restrict the air to the radiators. Again has onyone tried this? I have also thought of having ultraseal fitted but have now heard that it is not that brilliant and when you come to fit a new tyre there is residue all over it and no-one wants to know. Halfords do an emergency kit which injects a solution into the tyre, has anyone had a go with this product.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

kevin :cry:

Hi Kevin,

I have had "Ultraseal" injected into our Hymer for the last 18 months and recently had 2 new front tyres fitted, this was a job I was dreading as our tyre fitter has had a sense of humour by-pass and built like the proverbial brick s**t house, not a person you knowingly upset. With this in mind I approached collection of vehicle with some trepidation, however I was greeted by the said tyre fitter with what appeared to be a big smile on his face but just to be sure I stood up wind of him, looks can be deceiving, it could be a terminal case of wind.

When he showed me the old tyres the "Ultraseal" was spread evenly around the inside of the tyre, NO GOOEY MESS, plus one tyre had picked up a screw and had been sealed unknown to me.

Tyre pressures are checked regularly and have not adjusted tyre pressures in 18 months.

With the tyre fitters blessing I am now having all the company vehicles injected with "Ultraseal" and that includes the spare wheels.

One of my fitters was forced to use the "Halfords" puncture seal some while ago and although it sealed the puncture it did not fully inflate the tyre, this was on a Citroen van. When the tyre was taken for repair my friendly :D :D tyre fitter was not impressed by the mess inside the tyre, resultant new tyre fitted and my fitter sent on his way wearing half the contents of the tyre and the words "Dick head" ringing in his ears.

I must admit I did enjoy the outcome of this incident and for once did not mind picking up the bill.

Hope this helps but "Ultraseal" is NOT a replacement for a spare wheel.

John D.

We're hoping to have Ultraseal fitted to our new Motorhome tryes, as NO spare is provided - just the can of temporary repair stuff! Inteersetd in teh reply about this, and most of the information I've so far gathered on this product has been positive.

fred grant - 2007-04-22 7:41 PM

no spair wheel on a new motorhome keith - you are joking arent you?

what van are you buying?

fred

Hi Fred - no, not joking....Burstner, amongst others I belive, fit no spare wheel as standard. I think this is a weight saving excercise, as well as possibly ocost saving! I have to say though, that with the inacessability on the old Fiat, it is probably no great loss, and indeed having researched, with much help from this forum, the Ultrseal and similar products, they are probably more useful than the spare, as in most cases they prevent the puncture/flat tyre in the first place.

In fact, the only time I ever needed to use the spare on previous motorhomes, was last year, in France, and it took two burley Frenchmen some considerable effort to access it and return the punctured one to the carrier underneath the vehicle.

I have to say at the outset I was quite surprised to find there wasn't one provided, but on reflection, can live with this. I feel the use of Ultraseal or similar is in any case better than either using the 'mini' spare on lots of cars, and certainly better option than the 'can' which is provided in place of the spare to get you - in thoery- to the next tyre depot!

I've fitted the spare on the back door of my 1989 Transit. However, I couldn't source a bracket for the job, and ended up cutting down the original cradle to use as a mounting, then using long bolts, each with several nuts at various points. I can explain in more detail if you're interested. It's passed an MOT since.

The wheel is MUCH easier to get at in emergency (I think it was getting that cradle down & back up on the hard shoulder in Italy that brought on my hernia a few years back!).

BUT the door is heavier, and tends to rattle unless I shut it very firmly & push the inner handle well home. I suspect I've bent the door skin a bit by overtightening the bolts.

So it's really a matter of preference and priorities - a sort of "cost-benefit analysis.

Tony

eddie123 - 2007-04-23 6:41 PM

£510 from memory, to include the provision of a spare wheel. German logic or what?

£510 Quid for a spare wheel !!!!!! was it Gold Plated !!

I think that a Spare wheel is an ESSENTIAL part of any motor vehicle, why we are accepting 'tins of gunge' instead is beyond me. The EU are very quick at legislating on most details relating to motor vehicles, why then do they allow 'space saver' spare wheels , which are damn dangerous (when driven on 'fast'), or vehicles with NO spare which may be stranded 'Just around the next bend' waiting for assistance ! STRANGE priorities ! :D

Rayjsj - 2007-04-24 3:50 PM

£510 from memory, to include the provision of a spare wheel. German logic or what?

I think that a Spare wheel is an ESSENTIAL part of any motor vehicle, why we are accepting 'tins of gunge' instead is beyond me. The EU are very quick at legislating on most details relating to motor vehicles, why then do they allow 'space saver' spare wheels , which are damn dangerous (when driven on 'fast'), or vehicles with NO spare which may be stranded 'Just around the next bend' waiting for assistance ! STRANGE priorities ! :D

Hello Eddie and Ray,

The spare wheel, tyre AND Carrier for spare is £368 for 15" and £516 for 16", Burstner Factory Fit Option price. These are not an option on Delfin, Delfin P and Megavan where presumably the carrier cannot be fitted. Probably best to source a wheel from Fiat or Renault accordingly have a tyre fitted and then solve where/how to carry it.

This practice seems to be common now with many of the latest Motorhomes offering a can of gunge and a 12v pump in place of the spare.

Weight saving ???

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Chapman - 2007-04-24 6:43 PM

Rayjsj - 2007-04-24 3:50 PM

The 'options list' also shows the weight of everything added, and bear in mind this will take 30kg off you total available......for me, I'm quite happy to stay with the lack of the spare, espacially the difficulty of access, and use the Unltraseal or similar.

We've done quite a bit of investigation, and it seems to come well recommended, and the price expected from the local suppliers/fitters (in Plymouth) is no more than £60 for all 4 wheels.

Hello Eddie and Ray,

The spare wheel, tyre AND Carrier for spare is £368 for 15" and £516 for 16", Burstner Factory Fit Option price. These are not an option on Delfin, Delfin P and Megavan where presumably the carrier cannot be fitted. Probably best to source a wheel from Fiat or Renault accordingly have a tyre fitted and then solve where/how to carry it.

This practice seems to be common now with many of the latest Motorhomes offering a can of gunge and a 12v pump in place of the spare.

Weight saving ???

Regards,

Mike.

I cannot understand the thinking of not supplying a spare tyre, IMO when you encounter a puncture on the move, by the time you know it as deflated and pulled into a safe place to stop, the tyre WILL be a ruined, then what do you do? Sods law will dictate that punctures happen on dark wet nights probably on busy motorways, with the next exit 10miles away. chas

Archived