Solar panel controller

Grumpy Grandad

When we purchased our Rapido motorhome it had already been fitted with a roof mounted solar panel of unknown wattage. It also has a Duo Solar controller. I am considering replacing the panel with a 200w. The Duo Solar controllers come in two sizes, 10 amp and 20 amp. I realize that for a 200w panel I would require a 20amp controller, but looking at mine, and also new ones, there doesn't appear to be any distinguishing features.

Can anyone help please.

Regards

Stuart

The specification of the solar panel may be required before making a decision on a PWM controller, the nominal panel voltage and the panel maximum current.

If the controller you have is similar to the link,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EPEVER%C2%AE-Duo-Battery-Charge-Controller-Indicator/dp/B07RPZK2NT?th=1

Then this is a PWM type and will only pass current from the panel to the battery, not all the panel power.

A typical 200 watt panel may have the solar cells connected to generate maximum power at around 18 volts or 36 volts, both formats are available. The respective maximum currents would be 11 amps or 5.5 amp.

The alternative type of solar controller, a maximum power controller, MPPT, will take the maximum panel power and convert for a voltage suitable to charge the battery. Besides being more efficient in transferring panel power to the battery, MPPT controllers have much better charge control software.

Expect to pay over £100 for a MPPT solar controller for a 200 watt panel. Victron Smart 75/15 or Votronic MPP 250

By far the best solar controllers are the Victron smart range. These are single output. Use a battery master for maintenance charge of the starter battery.

Mike

hi. Sorry for the delay in replying.

On top of the solar controller there is a sticker showing percentage charging capacities for both Sealed batteries and Gel batteries. No mention anywhere as to whether it is 10 amp or 20 amp. I will take it off the wall to see if there is a sticker on the reverse. Doubtful though.

Stuart

Archived