Campingcar-infos CD for locating aires.

kevandali

Hi all

We are not off to France till August (I know its not the best time to go) and wanted a bit of info.

I have got a sat nav with aire de service poi's on and was thinking about getting the aire de service cd from the site below as we are taking the mac laptop with us.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

My question(s) are:-

Has anyone used the cd, is it worth getting?(if so, where do I click for the Mac version)

Would I be able to find information on the cd about the aires and then just tap in the co-ordinates into the sat nav?

Or is it not worth it and just go for the paper map/sat nav combination?

Alternatively, for the teckies out there (Terry) maybe I could attach a sat nav receiver to the Mac and plan routes on there then transfer them to the PDA??

thanks again in advance for any help

Kevandali

Guest JudgeMental

won't it be the same information you already have on your GPS unit ?

what sat nav have you?

and what Aire file does it have?

I would think if you want additional files it would be easier to install everything on your GPS....

but if you want to browse on your laptop as well sure - we have the ACSI camp site guide installed on ours along with autoroute 2007 and navteq V9 maps....

regards holidays, we always go July/August and have never had problems?

JudgeMental - 2007-04-22 2:12 PM

won't it be the same information you already have on your GPS unit ?

Yea, thinking about it i suppose it will, I have got tomtom6 on a Loox PDA and not really used it before, I suppose when I get used to it I could do all the planning on it.

It has got all the aire files of France and other places in Europe, curtisy of Mel.

I think the first post was panic induced, on reflection I will just try it out when we get there.

sooo much easier to use those bits of paper, specially when they're joined with that spiral wire thingy, all bonny colours, lots to look at and think about, all kinds of obscure roads off to explore at your leisure (lol)

B-)

Hi Kev,

I do recommend the the Camping Car Info DVD, I found it very useful when used with both Autoroute and the Mio 269+ satnav, Autoroute for planning and satnav for getting there, especially if your divorce fund is a bit on the low side.

The DVD I believe is for both PC and Mac, with Autoroute on your MAC you may input the co-ord directly, if you have a USB receiver like link http://tinyurl.com/33h795 , you can navigate straight to your Aire with it. If you are buying a stand alone satnav, make sure that it allows you to input the GPS co-ordinates, as addresses and postcodes are sometimes not accurate enough.

You do need a fairly fast PC/MAC if using autoroute with a USB2 satnav receiver, I found an IBM pentium 2 would hang sometimes, whereas a 1.5Gh laptop was okay.

I have had a look at the Camping Car DVD PDA version on their web page, because of the limited storage of a PDA, they have divided France into four zones, you either preload each zone onto one of four cards, or you need to take a laptop to overwrite a single card as required.

You can download all the GPS cordinates and addresses info free of charge, scroll down to the bottom of their web page "COORDONNEES GPS" and download it, make sure you have plenty of paper in your printer!

They have a bug on the page, doesn't show UK at first on the country combo box - so when ordering the DVD, bottom right of the four frames choose the frame headed "A l'étranger (16,50 €)", click any country - say Ukraine, wait for the page to be updated, then select United Kingdom from the combo list, follow the instructions from then on.

I think I have answered all your questions now, to the best of my ability.

Regards Terry

speaking of Aires, just come across this:

http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk/view_product.php?c_id=4&sc_id=&p_id=39

aka http://preview.tinyurl.com/2l75fq

looks like a good idea, 'specially if it gets you a freeby or discount. Must say I've never seen the Aire at St Valery so quiet 8-) we invariably head for the little campsite at the other side of the bay, at least you get breathing space - and great views

B-)

Archived