Upgrade weight for cheaper road tax?

Ronnie63

simian - 2022-02-28 12:35 PM

Paul F - 2022-02-28 11:20 AM

simian - 2022-02-27 3:49 PM

Possibly the greatest downside applicable when uprating to > 3500kg class is the requirement to

sport 'ANGLES MORT' stickers in France !

Jeez they're ugly, glad I have the 3 easily detachable magnetic variety.

Don't forget the equally ugly 200mm diameter '80', '100' and '110' stickers on the rear!

Agreed, although I must say I don't think I've ever noticed a UK reg. vehicle displaying a set.

Certainly I've never done so, I'm not even sure non French vehicles are required to.

I did display the Angles Mort signs though, being a safety related issue. Whether or not they are effective only time will tell. Ive just returned via France and I'm sure I didn't crush any cyclists, so it may well have worked for me. Although there could be anything hidden in the crud underneath the van, jet wash needed !

I think you are correct - UK registered vehicles are not required to display the stickers - although obviously are expected to adhere to the lower speed limits. My motivation for displaying them is based on the reputation of the gendarmerie, and their apparent willingness to impose on the spot fines on UK drivers based on their own interpretation of the sometimes ambiguous french law. The Angles Morts stickers on the other hand are required by all, and and seem to be fairly diligently applied. They do look a complete eyesore on the vehicle though!

The French organisation FFCC advises as follows about the signage required on foreign-registered 'heavy' motorhomes being driven in France.

Foreign HGV motorhomes in France and signage

Are speed limit discs and blind spot stickers compulsory for foreigners driving in France?

Speed limits for heavy goods vehicles are governed by a European directive. Their application and the signs on vehicles come under the highway code of each Member State. Thus, out of the 26 members, only about ten impose specific marking on the vehicle, including France, and for vehicles registered in France . The Order of 23 November 1992 relating to the indication of maximum speeds on motor vehicles defines the conditions.

On the other hand, the signalling of blind spots, a specifically French regulation, applies to all vehicles circulating on public property in France, regardless of the country of registration. This is specified in its first article of the Order of January 5, 2021 implementing article R. 313-32-1 of the Highway Code relating to signs indicating blind spots on heavy vehicles.

Thus, foreign motorhome owners traveling in France with a motorhome whose GVW is greater than 3500kg are not subject to rear speed limit discs . However, they must carry blind spot warning displays.

Attention, this obligation is imposed on the vehicle (reference to the PTAC) driven with a category B license or not (B79 in France).

https://ffcc.fr/actualite/camping-cars-poids-lourds-etrangers-en-france-et-signalisation/

It's often said that no matter how diligently you drive that within 10 miles you've broken or infringed some law and/or regulation, at least as applies in the UK and probably most countries.

I daresay that the same thing applies (when considering all the documentation and paraphernalia involved) in order to legally comply 100% with the laws and regs. of any EU country.

Most of us travel blissfully with varying degrees of ignorance.

Archived