Italy via the Gotthard Tunnel

whisturx

We went down to Lake Garda in 2004 taking the peage past Reims to a point north of Dijon called Langres, then East through Vesoul to Basel in Switzerland. We are looking for an alternative,reasonably fast, CHEAP route to Basel. We are thinking of going through Belgium and Luxembourg and back into France to Stasbourg. Is this a sensible route as the motorways in Belgium are free?

Does anyone know if the coachpark in Brugge is still OK for a free night ?

Any other recommended towns or sites in southern Belgium. We usually spend most of our time in France.

We are heading for Pescara on the Adriatic coast and joining up with our Italian brother in law( the interpretor !!) in his van and going to Rome. Part company and back up through Umbria and Tuscany ( all new to us !!)

We were not overly impressed with Garda,too busy,nowhere to park so are a bit concerned with Tuscany. We can always scoot back into France I suppose.

Any Tuscany/ Umbria recommendations ! I am always wary of "scenic hilltop town" which usually means "no go" area for my 8 metre van !

Ian

Hi Ian

I have heard that the usual free motorhome park at Brugge alongside the bus park is now closed.  A new aire is being constructed nearby but is probably not yet ready - apparently it will be 15 euros per night.  Last September the motor caravan parking was closed due to the annual fair and along with several others we overnighted on a small car park on the other side of the main road without problem.  There is also a free small official aire ( 6 spaces) at Zeebrugge just off the prom before entering the ferry port and much larger aire at Blankenburg. There is an official aire at Hamoir east of Namur in Belgium, nice riverside setting, very peaceful, but requires a detour from main roads.  If you are travelling via Luxembourg there is a good aire with service box at Dudelange very close to the French border.

Roy

Archived