Gas bottles

The Rock

Having recently bought a German import (Hymer544) I had to change the regulator to suit the type of calor bottles which are available in Ireland. Can anybody tell me if this is ok or is there any other changes I should make to the system. Any advice would be appreciated.

However, I assume you intend using the van outside Ireland/UK?  If so (and assuming you may not already know this), do be aware that Calor is unique to these islands.  You won't get Calor bottles filled, or exchanged, outside UK/Ireland, and any bottles you buy elsewhere will have different bottle fittings to the Calor fitting.  If you still have it, hang onto that "old" regulator and pigtail.  You may yet find it useful!

Not sure how available lpg is in Ireland but the other thing you could do is invest in refillable gas cylinders like the Gaslow system.

We put two 11 kg ones inour new vehicle last year and I have to say it is one of the best things we did.

The system itself is very simple and buying lpg at the pump is about half the price of Calor. No more lugging heavy cylinders about and it is much more freely available in Europe.

Regards, David

rock

get proffessional advice immediately. your hymer may have appliances adjusted for the german gas 50mb system. do not connect a british regulator to the system - normally 28 or 30 or 37 mb. please check this out and dont rely on the information given by the above.

fred

Off subject but a true story.

Went to collect a kit car from a guy in Leceister. He had a propane fork lift to load it with, however out of gas. He eventually found another cylinder in this tip of a yard, but needed to change regulator. Regulator was stuck solid and would not move. Next thing he is out with the blow torch to apply some heat.

Im off like a shot and peered round the gate some 50 yards away. He was oblivious to the danger.

How is it when you are stupid you can get away with it?

Archived