Leisure Battery Charger

ramsay

Hi I was having an issue with my main engine battery going flat after a few weeks of sitting not getting used, i think i now have found the problem I found my internal cab leisure battery charger which is located under the passenger seat. This has an ON - OFF switch and when on its illuminated red i have owned the motorhome for a few years now so the switch has been left on all the time.. I started to switch off when motorhome is parked up and not getting used to stop draining the main engine battery problem i have now is when i swith the charger on the red light does not come on ? Anyone know if there is a fuse in the charger i could check ? Thanks.

4.jpg.10d7a8b686f25d8b2ba4f134a7a44f99.jpg

Even though the red light does not illuminate, that does not automatically prove that the charger is not working - the bulb in the ON/OFF switch might just have failed.

Not sure how definitive advice about fusing can be given unless you identify the make/model of battery-charger your motorhome home has, or someone knows what charger Roller Team were fitting in 2003 (Nordelletronica perhaps?)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/mains-not-charging-liesure-battery/8032/

From inspection of the posted photo, the charger is a Volta CTSAN 18A. Perhaps the OP could confirm this?

An internet search using these details returned a description on an NZ website.

The description mentioned electronic "fold over" overcurrent protection on the output, so no output fuse.

An input fuse was not mentioned, but I would consider it sensible to include one.

Perhaps an inspection of the other end of the charger shown in this image, would reveal somthing.

Another search result was from the wildcamping forum, where a Bonus CTSAN 18A charger was mentioned, so this is another possible avenue for the OP to explore, and perhaps obtain a copy of the charger instructions.

Alan

Thanks for all the information everyone, am I right in saying the charger only powers on when on 240 V hook up ? So when on 240 V hook up the power runs through the charger then into the leisure battery ? If this is the case when disconnected from 240 V and engine running does the engine charge the leisure battery ? Thanks.

The onboard battery-charger will ONLY operate when the motorhome is receiving 230V power from a mains electrical supply. The charger will charge the leisure-battery and may also be able to charge the starter-battery too depending on the specification of the motorhome's electrical system

When the motorhome's engine is running, the vehicle's starter-battery and the leisure-battery would both normally receive charge via the vehicle's alternator. The onboard battery-charger will NOT start to operate.

I hope you won't take this amiss, but your two questions are really basic. I think you'd benefit from a copy of this book.

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/john-wickersham/complete-motorcaravan-manual/9781859603222?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7yfvt3P9gIVCZntCh3Wfg59EAQYAyABEgIsyfD_BwE

(As your motorhome is 2003-vintage, the edition in the advert should be fine.)

Archived