EHU app

Priston

I have used an app to help calculate electrical load, which was especially useful on low capacity continental sites. The app was titled EHU. It is now not available due to the developers not updating to conform to the latest changes to apple operating systems. Does anyone know of a similar app?

(Duplicate thread deleted - Keithl)

There's an EHU Camping Calculator on Android.

"The EHU Camping Calculator was produced by Richard Stubbington, the director of Clever Methods Ltd. and keen camper. I have a folding caravan (Riva Dandy Destiny) and discovered there was no app that existed or could be readily found to manage and assess the Electrical Hook Up when on site.

Hopefully you'll find the app as useful as I have myself when managing power use on a campsite. Happy Camping!

EHU Camping Calculator © Clever Methods Ltd 2020"

This 2012 UKCS forum thread discussed the Apple mobile-device (iPhone, iPad) version of the EHU calculator app.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=264227&PagePosition=3&ThreadPage=1&ReturnPage=Search&search=&searchIn=

As Priston has said, that app is no longer available from the App Store, but I notice that there is an App Store app called "Camper Power" that seems to be similar in principle to "EHU", is developed by Simon Warrington and is about 1 year old. Cost is £0.89 to download.

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 1:35 AM, Derek Uzzell said:

As Priston has said, that app is no longer available from the App Store, but I notice that there is an App Store app called "Camper Power" that seems to be similar in principle to "EHU", is developed by Simon Warrington and is about 1 year old. Cost is £0.89 to download.

agree, Camper Power is a good app

On 3/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, Priston said:

I have used an app to help calculate electrical load, which was especially useful on low capacity continental sites. The app was titled EHU. It is now not available due to the developers not updating to conform to the latest changes to apple operating systems. Does anyone know of a similar app?

Not familiar with the app, but I assume you must have needed to enter the Wattage of all your connected appliances, including your on-board power pack/battery charger, for it to give you your connected load.

So, assuming you still have those figures, why not make a note of them?  The Voltage supplied at European domestic (including campsite etc.) supply points is approximately 220V.  Every 1 Kilowatt (Usually "kW") of connected load = 1,000 Watts (Usually "W") is equal to approximately 4.5 Amps.  Supply capacity is generally expressed in Amperes (Usually "A" or "Amps"), so dividing your connected load in kW by 4.5 will give you the connected load in Amps.  So long as this figure is lower that the stated limit at the site supply pillar, you will not trip the pillar.

The usual culprit is a 3kW (just under 14A) electric kettle, or a 2kW (approx. 9A) hair dryer.  Just remember that each item connected and switched on adds its load to whatever else is also connected and switched on.  So, using the hair dryer while the kettle is on would result in a combined load of approx. 13A. 

Or, put another way, a 5A campsite supply would limit you to 1,100W (or 1.1kW), a 6A supply to 1,300W (or 1.3kW), a 10A to 2,200W (or 2.2kW) and a 15A supply to 3,500W (or 3.5kW).  This range of supply limits is pretty much standard - if it isn't one it will almost invariably be one of the others.  We have only once encountered a supply limit lower than 5A (2A!!), in 2005 in Portugal, and that had been increased to 6A when we re-visited in 2009.

4 hours ago, spirou said:

230V, not 220 😉

Well yes.  Different sources seem to quote either 220 or 230.  The best one I found was:

"The voltage used throughout Europe (including the UK) has been harmonised since January 2003 at a nominal 230v 50 Hz (formerly 240V in UK, 220V in the rest of Europe) but this does not mean there has been a real change in the supply.

Instead, the new “harmonised voltage limits” in most of Europe (the former 220V nominal countries) are now:

230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

In the UK (former 240V nominal) they are:

230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V)

This effectively means there is no real change of supply voltage, only a change in the “label”, with no incentive for electricity supply companies to actually change the supply voltage.

To cope with both sets of limits all modern equipment will therefore be able to accept 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V."

But it seemed too long and complex!!  🙂  But, as they say: yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice!!!  🙂

Not sure what you mean by safe...

Simon Warrington's "Camper Power" app is advertised on the App Store for £0.89 (and obviously an Apple device would be needed to run it) and the version being offered is 1.0.1 (dated 17 February 2021) that is said to include bug fixes and performance updates.

A version for Android devices seems to be available for £1.19 through Google Play but this is older (dated 17 July 2020). Presumably this works adequately (?) but It's to be expected that the later Apple version should be superior.

(I can't find the Camper Power app on HeyHey.net, so perhaps you downloaded it some while ago.)

Archived