Umwelt sticker for Germnay

Euroroamer

I got mine from TUV Nord at the link below;

https://www.tuev-nord.de/en/private/traffic/car-motorcycle-caravan/emissions-sticker/order/

I couldnt get to the bottom of whether the Berlin sticker from the previous link is suitable for all regions and cities or just for Berlin. I am pretty sure that the TUV-Nord sticker is suitable for anwhere in Germany, so I went for that one. I found typical German efficiency with the sticker arriving in the post after about a week, along with an invoice for 17.50 euros. There are lots of other resellers on the internet that charge more. Buy direct from Germany, it is very easy.

The article from MMM gave the link below, which sets out all emissions requirements throughout Europe.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

Paul F - 2022-03-10 9:31 PM

I couldnt get to the bottom of whether the Berlin sticker from the previous link is suitable for all regions and cities or just for Berlin.

..an Umweltplakette issued anywhere in Germany is valid for the whole country.

Having changed 'vans a few times since they became "a thing", I've had one bought in Germany itself, and the others from Berlin (quickly, cheaply and efficiently).

Be careful where you buy from. There are many ‘middlemen’ who will charge much more than is necessary.

If I recall, this is where I bought mine from.

https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php

Certainly I only paid about 6 euro.

I have to add that I have not yet visited Germany, but the German sticker became a popular forum topic when the French Crit Air was being introduced. More experienced travellers than me stated that buying from Berlin did cover the whole country.

The French Crit Air should only cost a few euros also, but again, like the uk, there are lots of ‘businesses’ offering to apply for your sticker, EHIC, driving licence renewal, etc for a ‘fee’.

Davy

colin - 2022-03-10 7:37 PM

I think this is where we got ours.

https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.85047.php

Colin's link above is the one I've used (three times now) and is quick, efficient, reliable, and cheap.

If you want to eliminate the added nuisance of having to get a replacement because your windscreen has to be replaced (they do not peel off) get a small quantity of the clear plastic safety film used to stick onto non-toughened or laminated glass, apply the sticker to that, trim carefully to the exact size of the sticker so that no film projects around the sticker, and than apply the piece of film to the windscreen. It then becomes peelable, and providing it hasn't been there for too long a time, can be transferred to the new screen. I was able to do that twice with our last van - don't ask!!! :-) The stuff I got was "Mothercare safety film for glass". Same for the Critair sticker.

Generally speaking, to get a green umweltplackette your diesel vehicle needs to be 2006 or younger.

The only yellow plakette area (diesel vehs registered 2001 - 2005) left in Germany is the Bavarian town of Neu-Ulm, there are no areas that allow a red plakette (diesel vehs 1997 - 2000) anymore, in fact I don't think they sell the red or yellow plakettes at all now but that needs verifying.

https://www.umwelt-plakette.de/en/low-emission-zones/germany/neu-ulm

https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/370/bilder/umweltzonen_1.png

Also worth noting that the Koln stellplatz is within the umweltzone but if you don't qualify for a green sticker they have an alternative 'umweltfrei' approach route...

http://www.reisemobilhafen-koeln.de/umweltzone.html

You can also buy your sticker at TUV (German equivalent of our MOT) outlets, most vehicle main dealerships and some DEKRA service outlets although the latter needs verifying as it was a long time ago I last checked.

Pete

I have always bought them at one of the local DEKRA points.

Although in Italy it costs about € 17 compared to € 6 in Germany.

Advantage Dekra is that they give you a voucher that you can use to get a duplicate in case of replacement of the windscreen.

Brian Kirby - 2022-03-11 11:55 AM

et a small quantity of the clear plastic safety film used to stick onto non-toughened or laminated glass, apply the sticker to that, trim carefully to the exact size of the sticker so that no film projects around the sticker, and than apply the piece of film to the windscreen. It then becomes peelable, and providing it hasn't been there for too long a time, can be transferred to the new screen. I was able to do that twice with our last van - don't ask!!! :-) The stuff I got was "Mothercare safety film for glass". Same for the Critair sticker.

You do realise doing this is an invite for a fine? It's been done countless times by people who try to cheat by transferring toll stickers etc. between vehicles to avoid buying more than one or any other hare brained reason. Police and other inspectors are well aware of this "hack" and won't be very forgiving.

Should you need to replace a window the company doing it will most likely gladly replace it for you either the easy way by heating it up with a hairdryer/heat gun and carefully peeling it off, or by simply getting a new one. It's a common occurence with standard return policies.

spirou - 2022-03-11 7:15 PM

Brian Kirby - 2022-03-11 11:55 AM

et a small quantity of the clear plastic safety film used to stick onto non-toughened or laminated glass, apply the sticker to that, trim carefully to the exact size of the sticker so that no film projects around the sticker, and than apply the piece of film to the windscreen. It then becomes peelable, and providing it hasn't been there for too long a time, can be transferred to the new screen. I was able to do that twice with our last van - don't ask!!! :-) The stuff I got was "Mothercare safety film for glass". Same for the Critair sticker.

You do realise doing this is an invite for a fine? It's been done countless times by people who try to cheat by transferring toll stickers etc. between vehicles to avoid buying more than one or any other hare brained reason. Police and other inspectors are well aware of this "hack" and won't be very forgiving.

Should you need to replace a window the company doing it will most likely gladly replace it for you either the easy way by heating it up with a hairdryer/heat gun and carefully peeling it off, or by simply getting a new one. It's a common occurence with standard return policies.

I really don't think any offence is being committed here, unless uncertified use of cling film has suddenly become illegal! Surely the officer inspecting the vehicle is most likely to check the registration number printed on the sticker!! (lol)

I 'sandwiched' my Rapido motorhome's Crit'Air sticker between two pieces of clear plastic before attaching the sticker to the vehicle's windscreen. This protected the sticker when the windscreen was being wiped to remove condensation and meant that (should I so wish) I could remove the sticker fairly easily when I sold the motorhome or if a new windscreen was needed.

If I remember correctly I was able to exploit the clear plastic material that was part of the Crit'Air sticker 'pack' that one was sent - so there was no need to obtain anything else and there was no visual evidence that the sticker was not attached directly on to the windscreen as the French rules demand.

I notice that Brian mentioned removal of the sticker in his postings of 16 March 2017 6:18 PM and 26 April 2017 7:06 PM here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Crit-Air-sticker-not-arrived/46578/

Paul F - 2022-03-11 8:03 PM

I really don't think any offence is being committed here, unless uncertified use of cling film has suddenly become illegal! Surely the officer inspecting the vehicle is most likely to check the registration number printed on the sticker!! (lol)

Which can be just as subject to falsification or alteration as the good old British tax disc. My Umweltplakette in particular could be easily falsified with a small amount of suitable solvent and a marker pen, the latter being all that was used to write my van's registration number on the sticker originally.

The instructions that came with both my Crit Air and Umweltplakette stickers (admittedly in French and German) stated that they must both be permanently fixed to the windscreen using the adhesive facing on the stickers. For the Crit Air sticker, there is an alternative method of securing the sticker to motorcycles without windshields. Both methods will result in a tamperproof feature contained in the stickers becoming visibly evident on any attempt to remove them. There will be a ready market for genuine stickers that can be displayed on vehicles that would not officially meet the standard indicated on the sticker I'm sure, just as there used to be a thriving market for stolen and altered tax discs before the introduction of ANPR and other systems that no longer require Mr Plod to visibly check for the presence of a disc on the windscreen.

Whether anyone has been fined for failing to display the stickers correctly, I really couldn't say, but the authorities have clearly gone to some lengths to include anti-counterfeiting features in the design.

Not directly ref an Umwelt sticker - But a similar .... Swiss Vignette.

I was pulled over by a particularly surly Swiss border guard because I had done the clear plastic trick with the Vignette.

He ripped off the sticker from the plastic and slapped the sticker on the windscreen with such force I was concerned about the screen popping out (Citroen 2CV ... not known for their strength!)

No fine, but he was clearly not a happy bunny. We waved him goodbye with the Agincourt Salute.

Jeremy

Back to the Umwelt sticker- We visited, (in our Benimar), a German friend in Reutlingen near Stuttgart who lives right in the centre.

I was concerned that we didn't have an Umwelt - he was adamant that it didn't matter as the police had no interest in them at all.

The enforcement is simply done by town council employees, eg parking wardens. So .... as long as you don't park up, you are very unlikely to have any problems should you not have one.

Jeremy

In this 2019 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Umwelt-and-Crit-Air-Stickers/51102/

for attaching a Crit'Air sticker I mentioned using the method advised on the French website when a vehicle has no wiindscreen

An 'INternational' (ie. English language) version of the Crit'Air official website is available nowadays

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

and the "How to affix your sticker" section is here

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/apposer-vignette

Archived