Rise and fall sink plug seal

BruceM

The seal on the rise and fall plug on my van’s kitchen sink has perished (see photos) and could do with replacement.

Has anyone done this before or maybe is familiar with how the plug comes apart to allow the seal to be replaced?

My first thought is that the plug shaft unscrews from the cap but I’m loath to attempt that if it’s not the way to go.

Also, any thoughts on a source for a replacement seal?

Thanks

sink.jpg.60907e1ffab6f446e3ff3f8e788650b1.jpg

plug-1.jpg.a6f7bc849291d9e999ab9da307c612f9.jpg

plug-2.jpg.9bff936aaa08820a76ea91090994af7f.jpg

I have this type of plug on the waste of the two 1993-vintage baths of my home.

In my case the seal seems to be made from flat rubber. One plug's seal has fractured and I've been tempted to cut a replacement from some flat rubber sheeting that I have - but as this plug is for the bath in 'my wife's bathroom' and she just showers, I've not bothered!

As far as I'm aware the plug's main body does not come apart and a replacement seal made from flat rubber of a appropriate thickness would just be stretched into the deep groove below the plug's head. This type of plug is advertised online as having a 'flat seal' (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/mr3ndxz2

but I'm not sure these plugs would be be suitable for my baths or your motorhome's sink.

..as above; domestic versions are generally a "slip-over"/stretch fit into a groove (much like one might fit an "O"-ring.

It looks from your pictures that yours might be the same.

You need one of a similar section, and the same internal and external diameter - so it's a matter of searching.

As an example, see this page here:

https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/replacement-washers-for-plugs-and-pop-up-plugs-122-c.asp

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone in a similar situation . .

It turns out that disassembly involves unscrewing the central shaft, working free the circular retaining disc and then removing the plug seal – see photograph.

It appears to be a particular design of seal, at least I now know precisely what I’m looking for.

1-IMG_20220321_160620.jpg.68fe89b5a7d8fb8cf55228ae145d6283.jpg

Archived