French Aires POIs

Ralph

As the summer trip approaches can I have advice please on the best downloadable POI list for Camping Car Aires? I have the latest book but it's very handy to augment the instructions with satnav directions as my French leaves a lot to be desired.

I wouldn't say that the data on the files from there is totally 'reliable' but it's as good as you will get.

Every year I take data from many places on the web to make my own datasets for TomTom and edit each location. I have found that French data is often fairly 'approximate' and the icon may appear in the centre of the town or village or even on the main road that by-passes the place. Armed with this information, the actual aire can usually be easily found once the village/town is reached.

You need to remember that these downloadable datasets are comprised of data and coordinates from Joe Public and that mistakes sometimes occur at source. C'est la vie.

Incidentally, I have even found significant errors on TomTom's own POI's. Camping Regio at Salamanca is a classic example, the icon being placed several miles from the actual location and on a completely different road.

Nobby

Nobby - 2007-04-24 10:49 AM

I wouldn't say that the data on the files from there is totally 'reliable' but it's as good as you will get.

That's what I wanted to know. As I said, I use the book anyway but I did a Google for French Aires POI and found a number of hits. |The question then was, which one should I use?

Of course everything with satnav is hit and miss but it's nice to think that the list you're using wasn't compiled in 1999 :-S

I notice that this one seems to be regularly updated and should be better.

Thanks

Ralph

Hi Michelle,

Yes, still hooked and around but not so much on the keyboard as the weather improves so I've been less active.

Next to motorhoming I like being on here best :-D

By the way, your picture has changed since I've been away. I have to say you don't look quite the same any more but it's nice to see you were able to pose with Ms. Crosby for it >:-(

Archived