Motorhome window seal glue best option?

robdav

Hi

One of our rubber window seals is coming away from the frame (see photo). I have previously tried some 'shoe goo' glue but it didn't work.

I'm wondering what the best stuff to use is, presumably a sika flex product?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Rob

891296320_Screenshot2022-03-21143259.jpg.dbab44f92e5a4bdb04cf41f7a68daf9a.jpg

Sorry, I can't help re:the correct glue..

but have you purposely pulled that seal out of the corner radius? (for the photo?)

Because I wouldn't have thought that the rubbers needed glueing, not if the they are the correct length?

To me it looks like they may be too short ?

I agree with Colin and Pepe. It looks very much as though the seal was stretched when originally fitted, and has since de-stressed by pulling away from the corner. There should be two cut ends visible, probably top centre of the seal, which should have been glued together. I too think the best remedy will be to replace the seal.

The extrusion itself should be a standard product sold by the metre, but I'm afraid I've no idea where you'll find a supplier. It may help get more helpful responses if you give the make, model, and year of your motorhome.

I'd also suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they can help identifying the seal manufacturer/type. If you can find a dealer for the motorhome make, they may be able to get a quantity from the manufacturer. They may even have some in stock as a result of other vans doing as yours has - as I somehow doubt yours will be the only one to have that defect!

I'd suggest when you do replace the seal that you compress it slightly as you apply it, and cut the two ends a little over sized so that the joint is held under slight compression as well. Just gentle compression - if you overdo it the straight sections will just begin to bulge inward! :-)

Archived