First post - looking for paint advice

Steeley

Hi my name is Charlie

I recently bought a VW compass navigator 360rl 2.5TDI is in great condition for its age 1996

I will post up some pics later

I have replaced or repaired all the broken clips, brackets and any other bits which messed with my OCD and the van is looking very nice and original once more

The van came to me with the bathroom walls painted (but not very well)

I have taken a lot of the fixtures out and stripped out all the old sealer

My question is what paint I should repaint it with, the walls are vinyl covered ply 1990s style

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Guest pelmetman

As the forums Luddite I am fully qualified to answer your questions .........

Vinyl covered ply was the usual wall covering for Motorhome facilities in the 80's & 90's.......Which were fine so long as they weren't used on a regular basis for showering........

The fact that yours has been painted implies that someone has tried to hide the damp patches .......

So you need to get a damp test done to discover how much they have tried to hide.......

After that I would clad the walls in plastic panels, as I have recently had done to our 1990 camper vinyl clad walls......

Ready for when we travel back to the winter sun, to ensure we have facilties that are suitable for daily use as soon as the first hint of lurgy appears on site ........

Guest pelmetman

Agreed......and if the OP has half decent DIY skills it's not a hard job, and will save the small fortune I have recently paid...... as I have the skills and tools.......but no longer the knees or back for working in a confined space :-( .......

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Charlie.

A photo of a 1990s Compass Navigator's bathroom is attached below.

Although covering the walls /ceiling with plastic cladding is fine in principle, the cladding itself is not cheap (example advert here)

https://claddingmonkey.co.uk/product/1-5mm-white-hygienic-wall-cladding-sheets-premium-grade/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqpL0947Z9gIVBrDtCh0nswilEAQYASABEgLImPD_BwE

and cutting the panels to exact size will be challenging (and I'm speaking from practical experience having cladded just the ceiling of a motorhome's shower compartment).

As long as you are confident that the bathroom walls are in sound condition, I recommend that you either recover them with a good quality washable kitchen/bathroom wallpaper, or repaint with a scrubbable product (example here)

https://www.decoratingcentreonline.co.uk/tikkurila-luja-7-scrubbable-matt-for-bathrooms-wall-tiles-colour-match.html

1283936515_navigatorbathroom.jpg.a1e6468cc14e95db3a79deaf30e73b1c.jpg

Thanks for all the help

I am a carpenter so fitting panels should be no problem

Dereks pic is exactly as my bathroom is and the main issues are cutting round the window

And fitting seal back on and cutting round the sink toilet unit and trying to get the panel

in with no joins

The damp meter readings are good so I think I will try the paint option first and continue using the shower curtain

In the past I have had success with vinyl bathroom wallpaper.

You can get self adhesive but once in place you cannot adjust it so I preferred to use a good anti mould wallpaper paste and jiggle it about until right.

It is considerably less expensive than plastic panels and considerably less difficult to get a good fit and it takes well to a matt finish undercoat prepared surface.

Steeley - 2022-03-22 7:49 AM

...I am a carpenter so fitting panels should be no problem...

I worked in the building trade for several years, and I've 65 years of DIY experience, but I'd certainly not attempt plastic-cladding the bathroom if I owned your motorhome.

However, if you decide to do this, there is a good deal of online advice/discussion

https://tinyurl.com/34n4ybfu

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2022-03-22 1:16 PM

Steeley - 2022-03-22 7:49 AM

...I am a carpenter so fitting panels should be no problem...

I worked in the building trade for several years, and I've 65 years of DIY experience, but I'd certainly not attempt plastic-cladding the bathroom if I owned your motorhome.

However, if you decide to do this, there is a good deal of online advice/discussion

"I worked in the building trade for several years"

Was that before or after you worked at GCHQ Derek? ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2022-03-22 2:28 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2022-03-22 1:16 PM

I've 65 years of DIY experience, but I'd certainly not attempt plastic-cladding the bathroom if I owned your motorhome.

Me neither!!

Me neither.....with my knees and back :D ........

But I'm pretty sure if I'd done it a few years ago, my finishing would have been better than the professionals :-| .......

So yet another job for me to do after I've finished the "Big Build" renovations *-) .........

Archived