French Passion

ChasB

I have been taking holidays in France for several years and have read about the French Passion invitation scheme. Finally this year I have joined and am looking forward to using the stopovers on my first visit in June. Like all new ventures it is helpful to draw on other peoples experiences, so can anyone assist with help and useful tips that may help me and others readers of this forum to use the French Passion invitation scheme with confidence and success.

My wife and I use France Passion as much as possible. I originally thought that the "passion" mean't visitors' passion for France, but it actually means the passion of the site-owners for their own country. The site-owners have to pay the subscription as well!!

The first thing you will notice about the sites is they range from a dusty laneway, to that idyllic setting amongst the vines, and everything in between. They are seldom more than existing carparks or driveways into vineyards and farms, and often provide no facilities, not even for the dumping of grey water. Once that is accepted, the real fun begins!

The first bonus is that you are off the road and safe, parked near a home, "usually" smack-bang in the middle of rural or coastal France with no big cities or motorway noise, a huge sky above and countryside to the horizon.

The second bonus is that you can winetaste at most of the wineries and stock up with produce at the farms.

Thirdly, most of these sites are on the most untravelled of D roads. We have seen parts of France, villages and countryside, that are barely on the map, simply travelling to our chosen site.

And lastly, it is free. So a bad choice is quickly forgotton!

My tips and hints...

1. Some sites are "very" difficult to find, often because they are truly rural, and often because the directions in the carnet are "basic". Persevere. It could be the most perfect place in France.

2. Some sites are closed, even though they are supposed to be open "All Year". There isn't much you can do about it - just move on to another. But wow, it can be frustrating sometimes!

3. Although it may seem "dinky", make sure you introduce yourself. And be prepared for a very friendly fluent-French conversation. In our experience, some of the hosts' enthusiasm runneth over! But you will feel welcome immediately.

4. Follow the France Passion signs and only park where they say.

5. Read any notice boards on arrival. On working farms they may explain extra rules or ask you not to introduce yourself immediately, the host will find you later.

6. It is not required that you buy produce or wine, and on most sites we don't. But the wine will most likely be "real" and "non-commerical" and we have been delighted on each occasion. On the farms, we will often seek out eggs, fresh fruit and the like.

7. A few weeks ago we were on Duck farm in Normandy. We wanted to buy lots, but then remembered that there is a ban on bringing the products into the UK and this was the night before our return. It is worth keeping it in mind.

8. Obviously the earlier you arrive the more likely it is that you will get a pitch, but don't let that rule your day.

9. Waste water, toilet and rubbish management needs to be watched if you are full-time France Passion-ing.  We simply make use of the bournes and aire facilities that are now common place in villages and towns.  In emergencies, many Aire de Services on the motorways have bourne facilities.

10. Befriend the host if you can. We had such a lovely time with hosts in Lille once, that they detailed the region for us, drove us into the local market, allowed us to stay an extra night. So we bought them a half bottle of champagne in return. For those of you who travel to truly experience people and places, that kind of experience is invaluable. And the actual pitch on this property was nothing more than a grassy verge on a dusty driveway by the house. Somehow, it was perfect.

11. Learn a little French, if you haven't already. On that duck farm I mentioned, it was early the next morning; the sun was yet to rise, the air was cool and a mist had settled in the fields. All round us were sheep and ducks and I threw on some woollies and set up the camera and tripod outside. This was perfect. A golden shimmer appeared on the horizon and as I was swinging the camera around to capture the moment, our host walked past on the way to his shed. "Bonjour monsieur", I said with confidence and bravado, knowing little more than tourist-French. "Bonjour!", was the enthusiastic reply, imediately followed by several lightspeed sentances that I can only guess were in French. Then came that difficult pause, where it was obvious I had not understood a word. In for a penny, I figured, and I uttered some awkward words trying to make conversation. Suddenly the idea came to me, that I should praise his farm and at least comment on his sheep and ducks. So there we were, early on a misty morning on a farm somewhere in the French countryside. I was speaking French in words of one syllable, flapping my arms in a flying motion, explaining my joy at the activities of his feathered friends. He was staring, a fading smile turning to confusion, concern and perhaps a little fear! He rapidly made his apologies and walked on down the lane. I called to my wife and told her of my failure! "What did you say to him?", she asked. I repeated my words and motions, and several minutes after the laughter stopped, my wife explained to me what I had said... "you have a very agreeable farm, monsieur, with many mustards flying around and landing in the fields". Hopefully we are still welcome back!

Hope this helps?

Thanks for that mom, we tried to stay on one over Easter, first one was building so couldn't accommodate anyone. The second was in a factory car park, with huge walls and not really very friendly looking.

We ended up finding the nearest Aire, we will try again though as we do love the idea, you have re inspired me to keep trying as you say.

Mandy

Yep! - stick with it. We have come across a few that were really discouraging but then again we have had similar experiences with Aires, free-camping and campsites (especially in France out of season).

Perseverance will pay dividends because the finest places we have stayed in France have been at FP locations - pure magic as mom says.

Nobby

We joined last year, and visited several "hosts" during our summer trip.

We bought wine on a couple of them, and honey on one, but there was no pressure to do so. Simply saying hello was enough - although we felt it also made sense to invite our hosts to tell us a bit about their area.

We've re-joined for this year - it works Easter-Easter.

Michele, the website is: http://www.france-passion.com (Why don't my links comeup in blue like everyone else's?)

Tony

Edit: Oh, they DO go blue once it appears on the thread. How about that!

Thanks Tony ,

will have look at that ..I think we would enjoy that spend aholic so I wouldn't mind spending on some honey garlic or the like ..

Loved MOM's stroy made me laugh speaks better Fench than we do .

Time to try again for college I think . ;-)

Thanks mom

What a great reply I thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in providing an insight into French Passion. I like your since of humour and like me I feel other readers may have had similar experiences with the language that we all recognise and remember with a smile. Yes my wife speaks better French that I.

I like your advice to persevere and not to be put off at first impressions. We have found this with some aires and sites and have had a great stay that inevitably lasts longer than you intended. We can’t wait!

ChasB

michele - 2007-04-25 12:06 PM Looking back I see that not only does MOM speak better French .. But I even need to learn how to spell it ...I seem to be missing the keys . >:-)

Michele

If you're using a Windows based computer, there's a neat little Windows programme called Character Map.  It should be somewhere in the main Windows directory, in an application file called charmap.exe.  If you can find it, put a desktop shortcut to it.  Then, when you open it, it gives you all the ANSII character sets for all of the fonts you have on your computer, including all of the accented characters.  You just highlight the accented letter you want, hit "select", then "copy", then revert to your document, hit "paste" and hey presto, you have accented text.

If you have MS Word on your computer, try loading the French dictionary as well as the English one.  Then, if typing in French, you can set French as the language, run the spell checker, and it will identify all the missing accents as spelling errors and insert them for you.

Clever, no?

Chas,

I have belonged to France Passion since I bought my m/h 4 years ago. Without exception, everyone I have met has been extremely friendly and accommodating.

It is true that they vary greatly and I have stayed in all manner of locations ranging from a farmers yard next to a "killing shed" (he made foie gras) somewhere I seem to have forgotten about - to a stunning pitch over looking the vineyards and town of Epernay.

My wife speaks enough French to get by, and I'm getting there (if only they wouldn't talk so darned fast!). As long as you make the effort, they're happy. Remember though, that, depending on what (if anything) the owner produces, it is common courtesy to purchase something from him/ her. Fine on the vineyards, but I don't really do turnips - and I certainly don't do foie gras!

Mom's advice is spot on. Follow it and you can't go wrong.

Baz

Brian,

You are so helpful to people . Not only that you never cease to amaze me .

I guess there's hope for me yet .I,m crap at computers and just about know how to send e mail use this (some would say shame )

apart from that type a stroppy letter to the SS when I go to war with them.

But Me's not totally silly I always get hubby to dictate the full stops paragraphs spelling spell checker and all the grammer before sending them . Will try to get my head round it ..

but dont be alarmed because I thinks thats above me..

good with medical knowledge though ha Ha now would you trust me ? :D

Brian Kirby - 2007-04-25 9:39 PM
michele - 2007-04-25 12:06 PM Looking back I see that not only does MOM speak better French .. But I even need to learn how to spell it ...I seem to be missing the keys . >:-)

Michele

If you're using a Windows based computer, there's a neat little Windows programme called Character Map.  It should be somewhere in the main Windows directory, in an application file called charmap.exe.  If you can find it, put a desktop shortcut to it.  Then, when you open it, it gives you all the ANSII character sets for all of the fonts you have on your computer, including all of the accented characters.  You just highlight the accented letter you want, hit "select", then "copy", then revert to your document, hit "paste" and hey presto, you have accented text.

If you have MS Word on your computer, try loading the French dictionary as well as the English one.  Then, if typing in French, you can set French as the language, run the spell checker, and it will identify all the missing accents as spelling errors and insert them for you.

Clever, no?

Even easier than that, is to press down the 'Alt Gr' key when typing vowels and they become á é í ó ú and if you want a ç just hold down Alt and type 0231 on the number pad (won't work with the number keys above the letters).

Chas B,

nice one :D your right you know ....ulaslsuy its the ohetr way runod whti me. All comes out in the wash though. :D

this French passion lark I think we will do some research into it sounds wonderful and whats the problem with driving round if you cant get into a place . Makes it all the more fun also no shortages of places for the night in France..... That's it Sylvia & Martin move over... wer'e coming. ;-)

michele - 2007-04-26 11:10 AM Chas B, nice one :D your right you know ....ulaslsuy its the ohetr way runod whti me. All comes out in the wash though. :D this French passion lark I think we will do some research into it sounds wonderful and whats the problem with driving round if you cant get into a place . Makes it all the more fun also no shortages of places for the night in France..... That's it Sylvia & Martin move over... wer'e coming. ;-)

If you're going to do the research Michele, it is France Passion you're looking for, not "French Passion" as the string is titled.

Brian

Your right that’s where I went wrong. When I did a Google search for French Passion I got the site of a nice looking young lady that called herself Mimi of Marseille. Not quite the stop over I had in mind!

Michele

To avoid you any confusion, the link below is to the site. That’s France Passion not Mimi of Marseille.

http://www.france-passion.com/

ChasB ;-)

I feel a little as though I'm peeing on Chris's chips a little here but people may be interested to learn that the earlier you renew your France Passion subs, the cheaper it is.

Check out the website (linked in Tony's post above). I try and renew every year in November and it's usually only about £16 or so dependant upon the exchange rate at the time of the transaction. There's a sliding scale from about this time onwards.

Every little helps! 8-)

Nobby

Well you learn something new every day, I had no idea about the discounted renewal, that makes it even better value for money.

I genuinely like this scheme and agree with the excellent review above. Some people love it some are non plus but it does not matter how you look at it its a cheap and fun way to discover France.

We had an unforgettable night on an Italian vineyard, actually it took days for the memory to come back but I must say being able to speak a little Italian really helped. I am sure it will be the same in France, certainly I really confused a little old honey farmer at Easter.

Chris

michele - 2007-05-02 8:57 PM But I want FRENCH PASSION jhon Cristoff nuvelle will do .. :D He can make my Pan cakes anyday. seriously folks thanks.. for that ;-)

Michelle,

You'll be disappointed.

Watching him sing and dance on that tv show a few months ago, i'm absolutely convinced that he "leans the other way".

Archived