cleaning rant

varonda

Hi all just had a few hours in the sunshine cleaning the van [ it's a PVC based on a Boxer with alloy wheels ] whilst I don't mind washing the van and and having to use the stepladder for the top and putting stuff on the horrible grey plastics to make em look half decent but the one that really really annoys me are those alloy wheels ! they're a pain for pressure checks and an even bigger pain to clean the guys that designed and signed off on that design should be made to spend eternity cleaning them with nothing bigger than a tooth brush !!!!!!

Anyway rant over and happy motoring to you all :-D

I assume the wheels fitted to your motorhome are as shown in the 1st image attached below. I'm not sure if this design was a Peugeot or Fiat part, but Autocruise Rhythm motorhomes certainly had them for several years. You'd be well advised to look after them as finding exact replacements may well prove a challenge (or be impossible) nowadays, never mind the cost!

Personally, I don't think they look that hard to keep clean. The 2nd image attached below is of the alloy wheels fitted to my Hyundai car...

wheel.png.91c0013f31338bd396dfae03e44e3dff.png

534546115_wheel2.png.18550da952ddabfc41e289281396db43.png

Don't forget the cost and inconvenience of tyre fitting / unfitting and new valves.

You could take the opportunity to fit longer valve stems as they too come in several sizes.

It's not only wheels sizes but tyres sizes too and there is no guarantee that tyres will be compatible unless you check first.

Tyre sizes affect rolling diameter so if you change tyre sizes ensure the rolling diameter is very similar as speedo readings and gearing can be affected.

You might want to advise your insurers of any change from OEM wheels and/or tyres and that too may involve a cost.

Complicated innit!!

The plastic wheeltrims can look shabby by getting burnt from the heat of the wheels, this is cosmetic but I like my motors to be well turned out.

Like tracker says theses costs can soon mount , so I might try a rattle tin to start with , which is easiest and cheapest.

Buy yourself 5lt of 'No Nonsense' water based de-greaser from Screwfix. About £8.95. Appreciate that grease isn't your problem but it also acts as a cleaner for mud, brake dust, road grime and pretty much everything else. Spray on neat using an old household cleaner spray bottle, leave for 10 minutes, hose off. Result, clean wheels, Works like magic.

FD

I use all autoglym products including non acid alloy wheel cleaner.

When I’m lazy I spray leave and jet wash.

I’ve just spent 3 days cleaning and polishing our A class slimline. It looks amazing.

Even used the screen polish for the first time.

I say non acid alloy wheel cleaner, because they do acid wheel, they use this at car washes for a quick clean.

It’s ideal though if you’ve not cleaned them for a while.

I’ve used it twice on the car.

Den

Archived