Dimension and Tribute

Tony Jones

Later in the year we're due a legacy, which we've realised will probably be the only time we'll be able to replace old Hannibal (1989 DIY Transit) with something newer to last us into retirement.

So we spent last Saturday harrassing dealers around the south coast (we can do Essex anytime).

We definitely want to stick with a hi-top van conv job, as it'll have to be our main vehicle, 2-berth as there are NO grandchildren, and our budget suggests we'll be looking at something 3-4 years old. (just as well, as IMHO the new Sevel cab is downright ugly!)

In spite of my life-long love of all things Ford the vans we were really drawn to were the Romahome Dimension (Citroen) and Trigano Tribute (Fiat). Although admittedly the only Fords we saw were Duettos which seem to demand silly prices - especially as they always seem to come in that "cold rice-pudding" colour!

Of course, it really all depends on what's on the second-hand moarket when the money comes thorugh, but at the moment the Dimension is front-runner, for compactness and the 4th travel seat (as well as looking a bit "different" from everyone else's van!).

Anyone got experience of the 03-04 versions of either of these vans?

Please either contribute to the thread or use PM if you fear libel action!

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

We were not impressed by the overall build quality of the Tribute but the price reflected that. Also we later found out that it is impossible to remove the fridge from the van without stripping out a lot of the furniture. Fortunately the fridge can be serviced from the out side of the van.

We have met two Tribute owners on our travels and both were very unhappy with the condition of their vehicles, one we met in Portugal had driven straight from the UK with a new van and the interior was coming apart.

Don

Tony

Three things.

1     You may find this link interesting: http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/index.html

2     Romahome Ltd have let their website lapse.  Companies House says the firm is still current, but the lapse seems odd.  Might just be worth checking their trading status

3     Have you looked at the Adria Win?  I know you said you don't like the looks of the new Fiat, but I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the interior when we looked at one earlier this year.  On the "old" version Fiat this van is much "cruder" than the latest model (sorry Win owners!), but the new one really looks very "swish" inside.  The price is pretty "hot" for a panel van conversion, as well!

1. Yes, I discovered the smallmotorhomes site via Google the other day & found it very interesting & informative. It sounds as if they're just satisfied customers, but they're SO satisfied I wonder whether there's some other connection with the firm?

2. The guys we met on Saturday at Freeborn Motorhomes, Godalming told us that their outfit has now taken over Romahome, so that may explain the website lapse. According to the Freeborn website www.freebornmotorhomes.co.uk Their Southampton operation now incorporates "The Romahome Centre," which in turn calls Freeborn its Parent Company.

3. Do you mean the Adria Twin? We really won't be able to afford a new one anyway, but also I'm not too keen on the fixed bed idea - especially in a van-conv which will double as a car. Ideally I want whatever "space" I'm lugging around to be useful in the daytime as well as at night.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Brian - your postings always generate light rather than heat!

Tony

PS I'm VERY disappointed in our lady members today - I expected a number of them to reply to my original post pointing out that, in view of my boyish good looks, there is no van yet in existence which will last until I retire! My self-esteem has taken a terrible blow. I'll have to ask Howie how he deals with setbacks like this.

Twin is not a fixed rear bed as such, bed hinges up to create a large storage area at rear. But that aside, why is a fixed bed not good use of space?

A fixed bed has lounging potential during day and large storage area underneath, is it just me that likes sitting with feet up or lying on bed reading the torygraph?

Point taken, I'll look at one if I have chance, but I'll take a bit of convincing. Being "holiday users" rather than (yet) retired half-timers, the van will do about as much mileage in "car mode" as it does as a camper. Our only other vehicle will be "Baby," my dear little 1968 Mini, for local running about.

As the Telegraph is one of the last remaining full-size papers, I can see why you need a bed to lounge on while you read it!

Thanks

Tony

Always worth having a look, Tony, before you say no.  Better than seeing someone else's later on, and then saying "if only"!

Currently priced around £32,000 in UK, and around 40,000 Euros (£26,000) lhd in France.  The bed is indeed arranged to lift up, and the underbed storage area has a hinged door at the forward end so that the full flat floor length to the cab is usable at pretty well unobstructed height, though it is restricted in width by washroom and kitchen etc.

My main reservation was with the two burner hob - combined with a diddy oven for the UK market that seemed to waste already restricted kitchen storage - and a rather diddy fridge.  However, how important that is for you will obviously depend on your usual patterns of use.

Tony Jones - 2007-04-24 10:15 PM

1. Yes, I discovered the smallmotorhomes site via Google the other day & found it very interesting & informative. It sounds as if they're just satisfied customers, but they're SO satisfied I wonder whether there's some other connection with the firm?

Hi Tony

I'm glad you have discovered our site and found it interesting and informative. You can rest assured we are indeed satisfied customers, we have been using Romahomes for a number of years and our latest (and probably last) acquisition is a 2005 Dimension.

We can give a 100% guarantee that we have no connection with the firm whatsoever, in fact since building the site we have contacted Romahome on several occasions to tell them about how we extol their virtues but we have sadly had no response.

We have several Dimension owners on the small forum we have linked to our site, you are welcome to come and ask any questions. We hope the moderator doesn't mind us mentioning our forum as we are far too small to ever compete with this forum. :-D

Regards

Graham

Hi Tony

Sorry to be so late in answering your query, but I have had trouble registering with this site.

We have a Dimension (04) and use it as our only vehicle and so far have not found any problems with that (the odd height bar notwithstanding). The storage space is fantastic and the luton area swallows masses of things.

The beds seemed a bit complicated at first, but after a couple of times you remember the right order for doing things and it all now goes like clockwork.

The washroom might be a bit tight for the very large person, so try before you buy if you come into that category! The new Dimension addresses this problem, but the washroom storage has been depleted.

If you have any specific queries, I will try and answer them for you or (as has been suggested) pop along to Smallmotorhomes. I do belong to that forum, but am not related to Graham (magpieman) so this is not a recruiting drive.

Wendy

Archived