POI STELLPLATZ

Mickt

There is a tom tom file (not sure which version) on the motorhome list forum which is on yahoo groups. The forum is free but you have to register.

I hope it's for tt5 as we are going through Germany down the Moselle in May.

regards

allen

Please guys is Germany just like France regarding the Aires .

Are they very simular or smaller less frequent or is it much a much ?

Also those who have been and visited Germany is it nice ? is that a silly question I have always been put off I don't know why mainly I supose because I would really struggle with the language silly reason I know but I feel comfy in France even if I don't speak much I can still read quite alot.

My hubby keeps saying let's go would you all recommend ?.

michele - 2007-04-24 3:08 PM Please guys is Germany just like France regarding the Aires . Are they very simular or smaller less frequent or is it much a much ? Also those who have been and visited Germany is it nice ? is that a silly question I have always been put off I don't know why mainly I supose because I would really struggle with the language silly reason I know but I feel comfy in France even if I don't speak much I can still read quite alot. My hubby keeps saying let's go would you all recommend ?.

I've not stayed on any of their Aires yet but will do in July.  The country itself is beautiful with some very attractive towns and villages.  The further south you go the better it gets.  The people are friendly and like most countries, if you attempt a few words it produces good results and friendly responses. 

We stayed at several stellplatz in Germany last year. Some are also called camperstop. There are loads along the Mosel and Rhine valleys with costs varying between free and €10+ a night.

They may be very busy in July. We were there in May and June and it was rather wet :'(

There are some pleasant places to visit further east in northern Bavaria like Rothenburg and the Altmuhl valley

We've listed the ones we stayed at on our website.

HTH

Steve

Thanks everyone, Michele you should try Germany, many stelplatz on the Mosel.It is an easy drive from Calais, go via Luxemburgh cheap fuel.Go to the Black Forest very beautiful ,still a bit of snow about this time of year, but the roads are ok.

I hope not to offend anyone do the German nation show anything to do with the war ? or is it all put away . I know I would be very interested in 1 seeing it 2 visiting these places .. sound very nice the farest we have been that way is Brugge and it was beautiful.

Where did the Black Forest get it's name or why is it called that anyone care to enlighten us.

Kindest

michele

They stopped trying to take over the world a LONG time ago Michele. The German people are just as embarrassed about the war as we are to bring it up. What's done is done, let it go.I mean no disrespect to others and I will always remember, but, let's get over it and try to work it out.The countryside is beautiful and the people are friendly. Give it a chance - you won't regret it.W2G

W2G,

fair point but I do really have an interest no problem with the Germans have afew friends that are German . have met many a nice German on the campsites as well . just interested as this is one of my things I love .

sad really you see it's was my hubbys interest I got sick of watching the Docu's so after years of moaning I thought if I cant beat him join him.

Now he's say's you've seen that one before ..just very interseting all aspects no disrespect intended . maybe we will go infact we will .

I do suspect I will be very frightned of not understanding the language but I will give anything a try won't let that stop us buy a dictionary and off we go ..thanks for the info.

Michele

I think wartime Germany and modern Germany are two completely different countries.  When visiting the latter, it is very difficult to relate it to the former.  My limited forays into SW Germany have been to a picture postcard pretty country that is a very neat, orderly, impeccably maintained, peaceful country.  In some respects, it is a bit too picture perfect, but that appears to be how the Germans like it.  I almost felt they went out and dusted it every day, including under the (neatly trimmed of course) roadside bushes!

However, that is how it is, and it seems to reflect the national temperament.  Something along the lines of "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well".  Someone used to say something of the kind in this country as well, I seem to remember, but now it has more to do with doing it cheap!

Langauge?  Well, my German is pretty much limited to saying (I think!) "good day, do you speak English?"  It is surprising how often the answer, without hesitation, is yes - and in good English as well.  Oh, and the campsites we visited were superb.  Very well built facilities, beautifully maintained and clean, all fully wind and weather proofed.

In my (albeit limited) experience, you will also be taken on trust.  One site we visited we left for the day, and returned later.  We were given a electronic tag to operate the entrance barrier.  I asked, before leaving, if they wanted paying for the day, explaining we would be back that evening, but would finally leave the following morning.  "No, just pay tomorrow morning" was the reply.  And the electronic barrier key?  "When you leave tomorrow, after paying, the reader on the barrier will "keep" the key."  No thought that we might skedaddle with the barrier key and without paying.  Total strangers, and never been there before.  Makes you feel welcome, and inclined to go back.

Go and see.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  It certainly isn't like most other European countries, except perhaps Switzerland.

Michele

We've been going to Germany for a few years now. At first like yourselves we were a bit apprehensive, but that soon dissappeared as we got used to the areas.

Mainly travel from Hull- Rotterdam then straight through Holland into Germany. O/Night @ Rudesheimm AM Rhine, then into Bavaria.

By law, you are allowed to wild camp in the one spot for up to 3 nights. You will usually see them along the river banks like the Rhine or the Mossel.

Use Stellpaltz's as they are quite safe, if not fancying this,then book through either the CCC or even the German equivalent.

ADAC is their AA/Rac equivalent.

People are very friendly, and like brian said earlier they do speak very good english.

I get by as I do speak passable german, which does get me into trouble as they then proceed to speak at their own rate as though I was a local.

They don't tend to wave, but Hymers do wave to other Hymers!!!

In nearly every major town we've visited - and thats a lot - there is a special area just for Motorhomes ( Reismobiles). These are generally very near the centres and some even have fresh water and waste dump points.

general transport is very good, so leaving your van on a camp site and use the rail network is very easy indeed.Beware, they run on time, not a minute before or a minute later if at all possible!! German efficiency I guess.

Get the map book out and start planning.

This will be our 9th trip in the summer. In between going back to my homeland of Thailand.

If any help needed then you can contact me.

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Thai

Archived