Solar panels not charging Starter Battery (SB)

Whiskeymac

Having fitted a second solar panel, I've been delighted to go through the entire winter with my facilities batteries at 100 per cent charge.  As I started to tour again, I decided to ensure the SB was well charged too and attached a charger.  I was saddened to discover that it took all night and half a day to reach full charge, so clearly the solar is not charging the SB.  I have phoned and chatted to my local solar supplier and fitter and on advice, metered the Electroblock EBL101 socket BL6 that the Schaudt LR 1218 solar processor lead plugs into. There was current on the Wohnraum Batterie socket, but none on the Starter Batterie socket, so clearly that is not connected to the SB.

Does anyone know if this is normal for this Electroblock?  Whether it is or it isn't, is there a recommended way of making the required connection to enable solar charging of the SB?

I think that with your set up the starter battery should also be charged with the solar , there should be a 20 amp fuse near the starter battery that you could check , this fuse is for the fridge heater element but is also , so I have been told , used when parked up to send a trickle charge to the starter battery via the EBL when on EHU (maybe it is used for solar also ?)

I have had a look at the EBL101 wiring and ,as I was told , the starter battery supply wiring for the fridge 12v heating element into the EBL is also used to trickle charge the starter battery when on EHU (via the EBL inbuilt charger) and also it seems the starter battery from the solar (via EBL)

Thanks for your collective opinions.  I am rarely on EHU unless touring.  Most of my outings are to dog agility competition venues and when at home now, I now no longer hook up as the two solar panels work so well for the LBs and I don't like having a trip hazard cable permanently connected.

The LR 1218 output cable has three wires to a Molex plug, which plugs in at BL6 on the EB.  One is negative, two are positive.  The negative is an outer wire. One of the positive wires goes into the other outer socket which tests at 12 volts and through this charges the LBs. The middle Red wire should feed the SB but tests at zero volts so is clearly not connected.  The solution is to connect the red wire to a socket on the EB that is actually connected to the SB, if there is one vacant somewhere as long as it's fused.  If there isn't, some other means of connection will need to be employed. Any suggestion would be welcomed.

I would be surprised if this hasn't been resolved by someone already, unless I have a faulty EB but I get the impression that some EBs don't have this SB socket connected, for some crazy reason.

Have you checked the 20 amp fuse near to the starter battery as this is the link from your starter battery to your EBL and if it is blown will stop (as pointed out) the fridge cooling on 12v (engine running) , the EBL charging the starter battery on EHU and solar charging going to the starter battery from the EBL.

The starter battery + connects at the EBL on pin 1 at block 2.

Thanks a million Buddy.  You were spot on.  I didn't know there were fuses there and the 20amp one was invisible in situ.  In fact I thought you were referring to a huge 50 amp fuse in it's own holder in the front of the engine housing.  I could barely reach the 20 amp one and fortunately worked out that the holder could be removed from a plate on the bulkhead with a bit of twisting and shoving.  As I pulled on the fuse it left one leg behind, so had probably disintegrated in situ.  Now that's a first.

I fitted a replacement and put a meter on the middle socket where the solar plugs in, and had a healthy 13.5 V instead of nothing.

The duality of this explains why our milk went off during our Easter agility meeting, as the fridge will have had no charge on our 3.5 hour journey to get there, in addition to the gas not getting through until we noticed the light flashing and fixed it.

So grateful.  Hurrah!  A system that will work as it should at last.

Archived