car trip London to Scotland ideas needed

spirou

I know this might be a strange request as it has nothing to do with MH but it is about UK and you never know...

Anyway, we've had not one but two "last minute" flight cancellations and now instead of landing anywhere in Scotland tomorrow, we've got a flight to Luton. I already changed our rental car for pickup there but as the flight will be late (6pm) and we still need to drive to Stirling (or Aberdeen) with 2 kids, (2 & 5y.o.) I'm thinking they won't like it one bit.

While us two adults are quite happy to either drive all night or sleep in the car, the kids will likely rebel. Anyone have any ideas for a convenient location to stop for the night somewhere mid wayish?

All ideas welcome, thanks.

If you're looking for somewhere cost-effective, and simply for an overnight stop (your timings imply you won't be looking to sight-see ;-) ), I'd suggest a family room at a Premier Inn.

They vary a bit in quality, and in location, but are generally of a reasonable standard, and I'm assuming you would want to share a room with the kids, at that age.

I've done a quick check up the M1 and A1 corridors (your choice as to your initial drive North), and there's sufficient availability tomorrow night to give a choice of location, depending on how far you want to drive.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/home.html

When at the farm we can see the planes in the distance landing at Luton.

In the van we would normally think of stopping at Jedburgh if taking it easy, but with a 6pm flight and then having to pick up car that would be too far I would think, might be best to consider somewhere between Wetherby to Bedale, if any of the above hotel chains have a suitable place next to A1, which they should do.

According to Autoroute, from Luton airport to central Aberdeen is just over 500 miles. Estimated driving time about 8.5 hours with no meal or "comfort" breaks. There is both a Travelodge and a Premier Inn in Luton, the latter at the airport. So, assuming your flight will be on time, you'll have to clear immigration and then go through the car pick-up formalities, by which time I suspect the children will be hungry, so why not cut your first day losses and head for whichever has the accommodation/price combination you want?

I haven't been up the (presumably) A1M for some years, but it does carry a lot of traffic, so some delays seem likely. That suggests an overnight stop in/near Edinburgh, with arrival Aberdeen around mid-day. But, I think I'd plan for somewhat slower progress than the above suggests.

Hope this helps a bit, I've only just spotted your post. Good luck! :-)

Thanks all, made it to a travelodge somewhere north of Birmingham on the first push. We can probably make it the rest of the way in one go.

Just as an aside... No strangers to long drives. Back in the summer we did north shore of Lake Garda to Split in one push with the MH. The older kid really wanted to get there as fast as possible and agreed to an overnight drive. This time I was more of the limiting factor as the past few days really got to me. Nothing has been going smoothly with this trip. Also nearly missed the rental agency opening hours. If we hadn't split up, me racing ahead, the rest waiting for the luggage, we'd be like the french family who were left stranded, 15min after the agent left.

Every time I go anywhere without one I really miss the freedom of MH :-D

Archived