Scooter rack on 2010 Swift Sundance 630L?

Barryd999

In my long quest for a replacement van for our aging Kontiki 640 I discounted all that were not on the Alko Chassis and having the rear lounge layout was also none negotiable. That basically left me with two possible contenders. A Swift Espace 496 Luton cab model or a Bailey Approach 760SE. There are none for sale in the UK and rarely they come up.

However I Found this. A 2010 Swift Sundance 630L https://tinyurl.com/2p8wfpzj

Payload is nearly 700kg and that allows for 90% full water. However I think its on the extended Ducato chassis and not an Alko Chassis.

I am however wondering if it could be a contender.

What do you think? It would be useful to hear from someone who has fitted a scooter rack to one.

Hi had a look at some other photos of the m/h and looks quite a large rear overhang, add another 500mm to get the point of where your 100kg scooter is sitting could put the weight on the rear axle pretty high. I think a tape measure and that seesaw weight calculator formula would be a good start. Looks nice if it does work out ok.

Regards David

davidmac - 2022-04-22 9:55 PM

Hi had a look at some other photos of the m/h and looks quite a large rear overhang, add another 500mm to get the point of where your 100kg scooter is sitting could put the weight on the rear axle pretty high. I think a tape measure and that seesaw weight calculator formula would be a good start. Looks nice if it does work out ok.

Regards David

Thanks. On some images it looks shorter than on others but this is why I would prefer the extended Alko Chassis but there is just nothing available. I think the Sundance 630 is supposedly on the LWB Ducato chassis but I dont reckon its as long as the Alko. The last thing I want is handling issues or too much weight on the back. I guess viewing one with a tape measure and taking it to a weighbridge is the only answer. I get no handling issues on the old Kontiki. It drives the same with the scooter on or off.

I can't find an online 2010 Swift Sundance brochure (though I haven't looked too hard!) but the data in this 2012 version may still be helpful

https://magazine.camperonline.it/cataloghi/Swift-Sundance2012.pdf

A 2012 Sundance 630L was 7.49m long and built on a Fiat Ducato chassis (not an AL-KO chassis) with a wheelbase of 4.04m. The MTPLM was given as 4250kg in the 2012 brochure (so it's a 'Maxi' chassis) but I note that the MTPLM of the vehicle on the link you provided earlier is said to be 4005kg. This advert for a 2011 630L

https://www.goeuropean.co.uk/used/motorhomes/swift/sundance/630l

also quotes a MTPLM of 4005kg (with a length of 7.34m) - so it looks like the 630L received a weight and length upgrade for the 2012 model-year.

If you are going to hang a 100kg scooter on the back of a 630L, you'd be wise to fit an air-bellows system to the rear axle.

...if, as the advert says, the MAM is 4005kg then it will (almost certainly) be built on the Maxi with maximum axle loads of 2100/2400kg respectively.

That should give some leeway on the rear to add some load, but patently that would depend on the current balance (rear lounge models tend not to be particularly rear-heavy from the factory, but....)

The Swift handbook archive only goes back as far as 2011, and that particular model didn't run through to then (though a low-line version did). That shows as having been built on the 4.04m wheelbase Maxi. It would also lead me to question your stated payload - from the low-line figure, I'd expect the high-line to be closer to 550kg after allowances. (though most of that extra high-line weight is going to be on the front axle, which might be good news for stability ;-)).

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/media/xscghae4/sundance-e400-tech_book_2011.pdf

It looks worthwhile thinking about, but you're correct; weighing and measuring (and then potentially using a weight calculator, such as SVtech's) is the only way to be sure.

Archived