Driving Rules in France

Randonneur

Guest caraprof

Very interesting and informative. Thank you. I note that if I am are carrying 'miners' in my car and they are not wearing seat belts, that I am responsible for their fine.

How will the police know if they are miners? My friends who are miners don't wear their helmets (the ones with the lights on top) when they're on holiday.

caraprof - 2007-04-27 6:16 PM

Very interesting and informative. Thank you. I note that if I am are carrying 'miners' in my car and they are not wearing seat belts, that I am responsible for their fine.

How will the police know if they are miners? My friends who are miners don't wear their helmets (the ones with the lights on top) when they're on holiday.

:-D Reminds me of the old Peter Cook, Dudley Moore 'Derek & Clive" record. It had on the sleeve 'not to be played in the presence of miners'

Hi Randonneur,

Thank you for posting that link - interesting, but it raises at least a couple of questions.

"It is law In France to use dipped headlights during poor daytime visibility".

There was an experiment a year or two ago to always use dipped headlights. Has this been abandoned?

"This is known as the “Carte Verte”. Always carry your green car insurance certificate with you and display the corresponding “vignette” in the bottom right-hand corner of your front windscreen".

I'm aware, of course, of the Green Card but have not heard of the "corresponding vignette".

Can anyone cast any light on these queries?

Regards Cattwg

Cattwg - 2007-04-27 7:15 PM

"This is known as the “Carte Verte”. Always carry your green car insurance certificate with you and display the corresponding “vignette” in the bottom right-hand corner of your front windscreen".

I'm aware, of course, of the Green Card but have not heard of the "corresponding vignette".

Can anyone cast any light on these queries?

Regards Cattwg

Over here when we get our car insurance we get a small vignette, approx 1.5" square which has to be displayed on the windscreen, it comes as part of a larger green piece of paper. When you have taken the vignette out you have to keep the rest of the paper in with your car documents. Hope that explains it a bit.

As far as the dipped headlights are concerned it doesn't appear to have been made law yet.

By the way there was 4 pages in the Sud Ouest paper, one of them detailed the points system and what points and fines are applicable. The only problem was I couldn't find the other pages on their website and they would be too large to post here. If anyone is interested I will try to scan the other pages and if anyone is interested I would then be able to email them.

Randonneur - 2007-04-27 6:42 PM

I must also add, that the system of displaying your Insurance and also your CT (MOT) vignettes seem to work as you can see at a glance if the vehicle is legal. We don't have any road tax here.

In the UK an increasing number of police now have numberplate reconition systems fitted to patrol cars, with MOT, insurance and tax all on database, as you drive past it immediatly flags up an illegal car.

colin - 2007-04-27 7:35 PM

I must also add, that the system of displaying your Insurance and also your CT (MOT) vignettes seem to work as you can see at a glance if the vehicle is legal. We don't have any road tax here.

In the UK an increasing number of police now have numberplate reconition systems fitted to patrol cars, with MOT, insurance and tax all on database, as you drive past it immediatly flags up an illegal car.

seems like a really expensive and intrusive way to obtain the same information, so that's something like frogs 100 rosbif nil

B-)

twooks - 2007-04-27 8:28 PM

colin - 2007-04-27 7:35 PM

seems like a really expensive and intrusive way to obtain the same information, so that's something like frogs 100 rosbif nil

B-)

Thats the least of our worries, there is already debate on fitting children with gps locators, just to keep them safe you understand, how long before we are chipped at birth.

When I was living in the Channel Islands, it must have been around 1993, I think, we adopted the French vignette system, and it was so much simpler (once the Insurance Companies got their acts together!), and the Road Fund was banished, although there was some extra tax (of course!) at the fuel pump. Still this did at least mean those who use the vehicles the most pay the most in tax.

It would be so much better if that was done in teh Uk, and I think there have been several attempts to look at this - however, in the days of this g=reedy government, they would not be interested in apllying anything which may actually be fairer, and simpler, or which just might reduce an indivual's tax burden!

Archived