Calor Gas

Grumpyman

malc d - 2022-09-05 5:09 PM

colin - 2022-09-05 4:46 PM

malc d - 2022-09-05 3:22 PM

With the faith that the government has in the future of electric vehicles - I do wonder if the Army will be using them.

;-)

Like any operation they will invest in equipment to suit the task, to this end they have already purchased £10m of hybrid Jackal's and Foxhound's.

https://www.army.mod.uk/media/17010/british-army-approach-to-battlefield-electrification.pdf

It seems they have very wisely taken into account the unreliability of power supplies ( especially in a war ) and are going for Hybrids.

It would be interesting to know the situation of all-electric car owners in Eastern Ukraine - I wonder how often they can use their cars.

:-|

Not sure, but from this earlier story looks like they might be doing better than those with ICE.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/05/23/much-of-ukraine-is-paralysed-by-a-petrol-shortage

colin - 2022-09-05 5:15 PM

With the faith that the government has in the future of electric vehicles - I do wonder if the Army will be using them.

;-)

Like any operation they will invest in equipment to suit the task, to this end they have already purchased £10m of hybrid Jackal's and Foxhound's.

https://www.army.mod.uk/media/17010/british-army-approach-to-battlefield-electrification.pdf

It seems they have very wisely taken into account the unreliability of power supplies ( especially in a war ) and are going for Hybrids.

It would be interesting to know the situation of all-electric car owners in Eastern Ukraine - I wonder how often they can use their cars.

Not sure, but from this earlier story looks like they might be doing better than those with ICE.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/05/23/much-of-ukraine-is-paralysed-by-a-petrol-shortage

Much easier to get hold of a can of petrol or diesel than a can of electricity.

;-)

malc d - 2022-09-05 5:24 PM

colin - 2022-09-05 5:15 PM

;-)

Much easier to get hold of a can of petrol or diesel than a can of electricity.

;-)

Well we do get red deisel delivered by tanker, but it's much easier to plug in an BEV at home, you can do it 24/7.

Interestingly it it was pointed out that in the storms earlier this year which cut off thousands for days on end, if any of them had V2H/G, they could have powered their homes pretty much forever, be a bit of a pain having to drive off to a super charger every day or so, but doable.

colin - 2022-09-05 5:38 PM if any of them had V2H/G, they could have powered their homes pretty much forever, be a bit of a pain having to drive off to a super charger every day or so, but doable.

If there is a power cut what will power the the public charging points - how far will you have to drive - how will you know how far is far enough - and do you think there might be queue to get plugged in?

The spare gas bottle is in my integral garage so I don't even get wet getting it!

Tracker - 2022-09-05 6:40 PM

colin - 2022-09-05 5:38 PM if any of them had V2H/G, they could have powered their homes pretty much forever, be a bit of a pain having to drive off to a super charger every day or so, but doable.

If there is a power cut what will power the the public charging points - how far will you have to drive - how will you know how far is far enough - and do you think there might be queue to get plugged in?

The spare gas bottle is in my integral garage so I don't even get wet getting it!

Whilst there is no evidence anyone did (or could) do it (very unlikely), it was pointed out online that Superchargers around 20 miles away where working. Will your gas bottle plug straight into your freezer, or keep the central heating running? Yes you could go out and buy a genny, but I feel it's time to consider a car as part of our whole energy set up and not sat on the drive doing SFA 95% of the time.

colin - 2022-09-05 6:53 PM

Tracker - 2022-09-05 6:40 PM

Whilst there is no evidence anyone did (or could) do it (very unlikely), it was pointed out online that Superchargers around 20 miles away where working.

Which means you are still relying on an available, reliable, electrical supply - it's just somewhere else.

colin - 2022-09-05 6:53 PM

Whilst there is no evidence anyone did (or could) do it (very unlikely), it was pointed out online that Superchargers around 20 miles away where working. Will your gas bottle plug straight into your freezer, or keep the central heating running? Yes you could go out and buy a genny, but I feel it's time to consider a car as part of our whole energy set up and not sat on the drive doing SFA 95% of the time.

Fair point about using the car's battery as part of a two way system - albeit a very expensive system - assuming it all works as intended and your car powers your house and not Tesco next door - of which I am highly sceptical without a sort of one way isolation relay at the meter to prevent it - complicated innit!

Clever government thinking to get everyone else to provide their own power at their own expense - assuming we will all be able to charge our cars as easily as we can go and get a tank full of liquid (or gas) fuel - rather than build enough generating capacity to prevent shortages given the huge hike in demand that is forecast when there are 20,000,000 and counting BEVs.

Sorry Colin, but it seems unlikely to happen in our lifetime as far as I can see.

Power cuts in urban areas tend not to be too long, especially as we have a hospital nearby, so I have no fears of the freezer thawing and as we have a portable gas heater (another spare bottle used!) we will not freeze ourselves, so no worries here - we are organised - common sense it used to be called!

Archived