2008 Ducato Front Suspension Arm Rear Bush Replacement - advice appreciated

johnlc

My 2008 East Neuk Camper has had a really bad MOT failure.

Sill welding on both sides and suspension bush replacements on both sides are mandatory for a pass.

The exact wording is "Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn Nearside Front (Rear Bush)"

Plus the same wording for the offside.

A well known Tyre/Service Centre - where the van was MOT'd - is quoting £165 per side to replace these bushes.

Another garage I took it to is suggesting it needs wishbone replacement on both sides, and quoting nearly double the first price.

Am I being taken for a ride by the second garage? (And maybe the first?)

I have no technical knowledge but have looked at images on the web and replacement parts A bush that seems to fit the description is for sale for under £20.

I would really appreciate advice from anyone with the relevant technical knowledge.

The first quote for the welding - one outer sill corroded full length, the other outer sill partly corroded and an inner sill partly corroded - is coming through at £1500.

Thanks in advance for any responses

I have a Transit and in 2021 I had front suspension bushes (2) replaced for £225 ex vat labour and £38 ex vat parts. At the same time I had the front part of both cills replaced because they had corroded after some idiot crushed them by not jacking in the correct place when changing tyres. For that I paid £360 ex vat.

This was done at a Ford and Skoda dealer which I use for the van and our car. I might have been able to get the work done cheaper somewhere else but their service is excellent to the extent of the Skoda service manager spending 30 minutes on the phone advising on a problem my son had with his Superb while on a visit to the UK, even though he knew there was no chance of a job coming from it. That counts for something. Not like the service from the dealers for my previous German car.

I hope that helps

The new wishbone is complete with correctly fitted and aligned bushes, if one has failed the other bush on the wishbone will be near failure and will possible be damaged as the wishbone is removed to fit the rear bush replacement.

The garage suggesting replacing the wishbone is the better advice, replacing the bush alone is false economy, as they are difficult to fit and unless the alignment is spot on, the bush may not give a long service life.

A Lemforder control arm, wishbone, is £140 (each) from Eurocar parts , this is OEM quality, alternative pattern parts are around £100 from a motorfactor. No more than one hour labour per side.

Tyre service centers are to be avoided for repairs, find a commercial garage.

The corrosion sounds severe, it may be there are other areas, like the rear spring hangers that have issues,.

An independent examination may be useful to determine the economics of repairing the van.

Chassis/sill welding where when there is an internal camper fit out, really needs removal of internal parts in contact with the metal floor. Without knowloge of the methods used by the converter it difficult to say how much of the interior will need removal. I would be particularly concerned about insulation products.

You perhaps don't want to hear this, but consider selling the vehicle as a 'project'. Once corrosion has started in the sills to the extent where replacement is needed, its possible it's active in other areas.

Mike

mikefitz - thanks for your response. I have spoken to a few garages about this and they all feel replacing the wishbone is best. In fact, the first garage was going to do that anyway. They just didn't make that clear to me.

I have had a couple of other quotes from welders who think the MOT tester has gone over the top!

I am going to speak to him asap to ascertain exactly what he wants doing. Given the lack of clarity regarding replacing the bush (actually a wishbone) I hope more clarity will help.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Archived