CBE DS520RA control box Fault

melchester

I have a RAPIDO 9048DF (2007) fitted with a CBE DS520RA control box number (205212) and PC-200RO control unit.

The control unit has started showing the symbol for when the vehicle is connected to 'hook-up' but the vehicle is not connected.

The knock on effect is that the step will not automatically retract on starting the engine and the fridge will not switch to powering from the vehicle battery, additionally the vehicle and leisure batteries will not link for charging the leisure battery.

As I understand it the normal operation of connecting to hookup uses a signal wire from the charger to indicate a mains connection. I checked all the signal inputs from engine on and charger and they are working as they should.

There appears to be a fault in the DS520RA unit, unfortunately I can not source a circuit diagram for the motherboard in this, I have had it out and have been tracing some of the circuits but it is not easy. I suspect that one or more transistors may have failed.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?

Hi melchester,

Welcome to the Forum.

My 2006 PVC which I have owned from new, has a CBE PC200/DS520 combination, about which I have gleaned a little information.

I am not aware of any published circuit diagram for either module.

I can only offer a few thoughts which may aid your understanding of the DS520.

The mains on "S" signal is derived as you say from the associated CBE charger. The signal will have to be taken from the AC side of the main rectifier bridge in the charger, probably via one or two 1N400 or similar diodes since the signal is specified at 50mA maximum.

I am aware that the "S" signal has two principal functions which are to operate the mains charging relay for the vehicle battery (bottom RH corner of board with adjacent blocking diode, and current limiting thermistor) and to initiate the display of the mains on icon.

I do not know of any inhibition or interlocking function relating to simulated D+ which I would expect to drive split charge, fridge, and external step auto retract relays. Therefore, as you suggest it could be more than a single transistor failure.

The above leads me to suggest another possibility. There is a dual opamp on perhaps all of these CBE DSxxx boards. I have wondered at the function of this component, and my guess is two voltage comparators. One comparator to monitor the ignition on voltage and hence control the simulated D+, and the second for the low voltage lock out. However my guess could be wrong!

As you have found, trying to reconstruct the diagram from the PCB is far from easy. I have recently succeeded on a much simpler board. The method I used was to use two photos. First the component side of the board, and the second a flipped photo of the reverse of the board.

Unfortunately replacement may be the necessary course of action, but before embarking on this please see this thread.

Alan

Archived