Last Years Model Discount ??

butch

I would love to hear about anyones experiences in buying a last seasons model, but still unregistered and what level of discount can you reasonably expect to negotiate ?

The model i have found in a dealers is also now discontinued, whilst he is prepared to offer a discount in my opinion it is no where near enough particularly for a discontinued vehicle.

At the moment he has knocked approx. 5% off the full OTR price as published last year.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Have a look through the ads in MMM.  Lots of firms clearing 2006 models with no, or "delivery", mileages.  Some may be pre-registered, but don't ignore them.  They may just have toured the shows etc and are often sharply discounted.  (You'll need to make sure all the knobs etc are still there, though!)  Look at the discounts being offered, pencil and paper, calculator (or computer) and calculate the percentages.

Even more reliable, just compare the on the road prices across several ads!  Alternaticely, check their websites, which tend to be more up to date than the magazine ads.  Even "Google" the year, make, and model, of van you're interested in, and see what comes up.  Do check the specs, though.  There is often a reason why certain vans haven't sold!

Guest JudgeMental

5%? dealer has missed his vocation - should be a comedian :-D

new models are so superior I would not bother with old at ridiculous prices

I managed an 18% discount on new 2007 Ford based camper...

butch - 2007-04-29 11:27 AM I would love to hear about anyones experiences in buying a last seasons model, but still unregistered and what level of discount can you reasonably expect to negotiate ? The model i have found in a dealers is also now discontinued, whilst he is prepared to offer a discount in my opinion it is no where near enough particularly for a discontinued vehicle. At the moment he has knocked approx. 5% off the full OTR price as published last year. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Ken

One thing to remember if you purchase a discontinued model is that the residual value, ie the price that you achieve in a few years time when you decide to sell will be proportionately lower.

In terms of discount, I agree with the Judge, 5% is a joke.  

Thanks for the responses guys.

OK we really wanted a Mercedes based Auto-trail Scout and were looking for a 2004 or 2005 model but they are like rocking horse poo !! Also would have considered a Fiat based but again nothing as yet.

So we broadened our horizons and last year looked at an Orian Saturn 6 berth very similar lay our to the Scout. It is based on a Peugeot chassis and when i found one in a dealers I thought it may be achievable at similar price to the scout we really wanted.

Hence the next question ! How much would you pay for a 2006 based on the Peugeot chassis (which i believe is same as Fiat ? ) but obviously now out of date.

How do you all compare build quality of the Orian versus an Auto-trail ??

Thanks again

Ken

Guest JudgeMental

sorry, would not look at a UK built camper.

Germans may have lost the war but they beat the hell out of us in manufacturing

unlike us they seem to believe in their own people and invest in both people and technology.

UK cars - Mmm...

Germans cars - Mercs BMW VW

I rest my case.

butch - 2007-04-29 2:20 PM Thanks for the responses guys. OK we really wanted a Mercedes based Auto-trail Scout and were looking for a 2004 or 2005 model but they are like rocking horse poo !! Also would have considered a Fiat based but again nothing as yet. So we broadened our horizons and last year looked at an Orian Saturn 6 berth very similar lay our to the Scout. It is based on a Peugeot chassis and when i found one in a dealers I thought it may be achievable at similar price to the scout we really wanted. Hence the next question ! How much would you pay for a 2006 based on the Peugeot chassis (which i believe is same as Fiat ? ) but obviously now out of date. How do you all compare build quality of the Orian versus an Auto-trail ?? Thanks again Ken

Hi Ken,

Can't give you any advice on the comparison between the Orian and Autotrail, but i'm sure there are many on the Forum who can.

If I was buying new, I personally wouldn't buy an "old" model MH, no more than I would buy an outgoing model car when the "all singing, all dancing" new model has been available for a few months.

If you do decide to go down this route then remember that the dealer will make a margin, including bonuses, of a minimum 20% and you should aim to take most of this as a discount for an outgoing model. 

The fact that the dealer has offered 5% for an 06 model is crazy, I wouldn't accept that for  the 07 model.

Butch,

We spent a year researching very widely and I have to agree with other posters comments on the significant benefits of the newer technology models. We felt that there was such a wide gulf between new and old spec, even having to wait 6-7 months from order to delivery was justified for our purposes.

Each to his own though and in view of the supply delays mentioned in another post the "bird in the hand" analogy may add to benefits you see from a cash saving.

Good luck with your search.

Bob

JudgeMental - 2007-04-29 2:47 PM

sorry, would not look at a UK built camper.

Germans may have lost the war but they beat the hell out of us in manufacturing

unlike us they seem to believe in their own people and invest in both people and technology.

UK cars - Mmm...

Germans cars - Mercs BMW VW

I rest my case.

Each to his own. Not everyone likes BMW or Mercs. In fact, my VW is as rattly and poorly built (in my opinion) as the Vauxhall it replaced. And best car I've driven in recent years? A Swindon built Honda Civic.

Personally, I'm a great believer of "you get what you pay for", and admittedly the German makes do tend to be better quality, but for that reason you tend to pay a bit more for them.

I've owned a UK built MH and had issues with the quality, but, if the layout and spec was exactly what I wanted, I'd buy again, as long as the price was right.

butch - 2007-04-29 11:27 AM

I would love to hear about anyones experiences in buying a last seasons model, but still unregistered and what level of discount can you reasonably expect to negotiate ?

The model i have found in a dealers is also now discontinued, whilst he is prepared to offer a discount in my opinion it is no where near enough particularly for a discontinued vehicle.

At the moment he has knocked approx. 5% off the full OTR price as published last year.

I had just over 11% off an 07 van with the new fiat cab, so i would hope to get more than 5% off last years model.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

A couple of months ago we bought a brand new and un-registered 2006 model Rimor Sailer 645TC. We traded in our Rapido 709F at 3 1/2 years old and had to pay £10,300 on top including the accessories we needed such as awning, bike rack, directional aerial, gas BBQ point and 2 mains electric points. The normal retail for the basic Rimor was £39,000, but it had a fair few extras such as full cooker, large split fridge/freezer, worktop extension flap etc, so would've actually cost more like £41,000 and the maximum value we had been offered on our Rapido was £24,000, so:

£41,000-£24,000=£17,000, less £10,300 = £6,700 discount but in real terms if we take out of the equation the cost of the accessories at around say £1,000 that means we got around a £7,700 discount, around 19%! We knew a good deal when we saw it and grabbed it! It wasn't the motorhome we thought we'd end up with, we hadn't actually seen one until then, but so far it's met all our needs very comfortably. We just kept an open mind when looking and made sure it met the vast majority of our needs and that there were no major disadvantages - we haven't regretted it. B-)

Derek

The price quoted by Southdowns is for the smaller engine, on our 2006 model we've also got extras (the prices are what we believe the additional cost was for 2006 models):

£1,250 = Engine upgrade

£1,100 = the comfort pack of cab aircon, ABS etc, Dual airbags, seat armrests, Kenwood radio/CD, remote control central locking, electric windows (without the cruise control)

£595 = Fridge/freezer upgrade

£595 = Heki 3 rooflight

£195 = Kitchen worktop

£600 = Full cooker

---------

£4235

=====

Plus a few other bits which we can't price up, so by adding the cost for the above to the 2007 price brings it up to £40,230 minimum.

Then add in the cost of all the extras we had fitted by RDH, such as bike rack, extra sockets, BBQ point, directional aerial, awning, that would add on another £1,000 at least, bringing it up to £41,230.

So all in all I don't think we did too bad at paying what we did for a 2006 model with all the bits we wanted, especially since buying a second hand van which was 'pre-loved', 'second hand' or whatever the politically correct phrase is (!) would've cost us a lot more!

Anyway, I don't really care ... off to France at the end of the week ....

B-)

Archived