continental 12v cigarette power point

Elaine

Sorry about desription its the only thing I could think of to describe what I'm talking about. Anyway I tried to plug my tv in via the 12v adaptor point in the habitational part of the vehicle only to find it would not fit.

It is a brand new motorhome on a right hand drive so I was expecting a uk standard point as it was bought in the uk. All the mains electric sockets are uk so why fit continental 12v points? Is this a mistake by the manufacturer?

Elaine - 2007-04-29 2:03 PM Sorry about desription its the only thing I could think of to describe what I'm talking about. Anyway I tried to plug my tv in via the 12v adaptor point in the habitational part of the vehicle only to find it would not fit. It is a brand new motorhome on a right hand drive so I was expecting a uk standard point as it was bought in the uk. All the mains electric sockets are uk so why fit continental 12v points? Is this a mistake by the manufacturer?

Hi Elaine,

The plug that you need is called a Hella plug. You can either fit these to your 12v equipment or purchase an adapter. Either can be purchased on line or from most accessory shops.

Details attached -

http://www.roadking.co.uk/products.asp?category=Electrical&subcategory=Plugs%26Connectors

Elaine - 2007-04-29 2:37 PM Thanks guys for that, but should manufacturer have fitted uk type fittings as standard as it was right hand drive vehicle bought in the uk and is brand new vehicle?

Hi Elaine,

My van is German built, right hand drive and purchased in the UK, and was fitted with the Hella 12v plugs.

Most UK commercial vehicles are now fitted with Hella type plugs as standard and this trend is set to continue with all vehicles, therefore you could say that your manufacturer is forward thinking. 

Elaine - 2007-04-29 7:38 PM

So why are the company's making tv's etc not changing to Hella type adaptors?

Elaine - surely you don't really expect logic and common sense to prevail!!! That really would make life too simple, and as we all know, that couldn't be allowed to happen!

Sorry Keith just on a strop! I am a bit peeved if I wanted Hella adaptors fitted I would have asked for them. Now I have to go out and buy another adaptor. Not the money just the hastle and another adaptor to add to the dozen I already have for other things.

Yes Brians right on this one ,just cut the plug off & replace it it with the continental one.It doen't have to be soldered like the UK ones & dont keep popping out out every time you hit a bump in the road when being used on things while on the move. :-D

I fitted these plugs to our 12v fans and a few other bits to suit the sockets in the van.

Also wondered what that red strip was for, rightly or not I actually use it at the moment to store the red collar on when plugged into the Hella socket as I still need the collar for the dash area, just plug in with the strip sticking in the air and the collar will drop over it.

It must be for something?

Archived