Our first weekend as motorhomers

Poppy

Picked up the van from Brownhills on Friday and went to Low Park (an old afvourite from when we were caravanners) for the weekend. Few little blips all sorted out by the very helpful caravan club warden (thanks again) and a lovely weekend was had by myself/husband and dog.Overall we are very happy with our choice. Bit nervous driving as we are no longer used to manuals and are having to relearn again but it all has started to come back and really the van drove like a car.Very comfortable bed.Haven't used shower as the cc ones are so good.Lounge a little compromised but comfortable enough and we love the fixed double and garage.Feel the van will be very usable for days out/supermarket shopping etc. as well.Love being back on the road again.To Scotland for a long weekend this weekend.OH and mirrors give FABULOUS vision.

Poppy

Welcome to our world.

Glad you like the 1st time out, as way2go says, it's all downhill from now.

You'll now be eyeing up what extras the others of us have got and trying to work out whether you want one or can even work out why anyone would want one of these "must have" or cannot live without one of these accessories!!, or worse, saying "I don't know how we ever managed" without one of these!!

Welcome to a world of spending.

We were away at easter in our brand new Hymer.

Thai

The biggest difference we found since taking our first trip was revising our travel arrangements.  Instead of leaving Saturday morning we've changed most of our planned breaks to now start Friday night straight from work.  Depending where we are going we may include a stopover somewhere on route.

We found an enormous difference in workrate between caravanning and motorhoming.  When we used to caravan we would arrive on site level up the van, remove the bikes, chairs, bbq, awning, water and waste water containers etc etc.  I'd then setup the plumbing and fill the containers whilst my wife unpacked the insides.  We'd then struggle erecting the awning and finding something secure to nail the bikes to.  Time taken to setup, usually 60-90 minutes.

With the motorhome, no water/waste containers, no awning to erect (we have a wind out one), no bikes to remove and find a home for (they're bolted to the rear bike rack), no chairs to remove as they're stored under the fixed bed accessable from the outside.  Time taken to setup 5-10 minutes.

I appreciate we still have to take on water and dump the grey waste but it's nothing like the same hassle.

When we arrive on site we could literally get undressed and get straight into our fixed bed . . . . sometimes even at night!!

We're REALLY looking forward to life on the open road . . . . beep, beep

We've never [ever ever ever] tugged. In the bad old days when we worked crazy hours we or rather I - finished on Fridays at 3.00pm, to Sainsbury's for the bread wine pate n cheese - home - stocked the fridge - set off no later than 5.00, on site no later that 7.00pm - checked for level, spun the cab seats, plugged in, opened bottle of wine, tore into baguette and grabbed the cheese - no later than 7.05pm - Just in time for cabaret from caravanners - arriving, levelling, getting water, setting up awning, setting up lots of little complicated gadgets, until finally putting on kettle - no earlier that 8.35.

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of course - breakfast time on Sunday was even better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B-)

The ONLY downside to this life is the fact that real life interferes with it!

Do we really need families, jobs, and the like?

No I don't think so! When I take over as president, the governement will give motorhomers free fuel, free road tax, pay our insurance and put our parents/kids somewhere safe and let us get on with enjoying ourselves.

Afterall there are only some 180,000 registered vans on the road for the cost of a medium sized submarine I bet I could fund it and still have change!

Vote for me and I'll set you free! (lol) (lol)

One of the atractions of campervan to me is getting a full weekend, as I finish work at 5:30 gf loads food and water, then its straight off to say southwold, when you get to site pull on handbrake turn on gas, sorted.

Also going to cornwall (outside of school holidays), I get home and have tea, then drive across and down M5 till we get tierd, pull up at service station ready for a early start and short journey to finish on saterday.

Poppy

Oh dear, already buying toys for your toy!!

That's it now, you're converted to our way of life.

As previously stated, we do have a lot of fun watching the tuggers unloading, when they get to site.

You'll also notice a very strange site, they never ever sit still, always up and down in their cars.

They always ask us, how do we manage as we M/Hs' have to pack everything away before we move off.

I just look at all their stuff laid out and it seems to answer their own questions for them.

Carry on enjoying, we normally try and get away on a friday evening after work. I'm lucky in that I can arrange to be working locally, so just pick up her who is always obeyed and away we go!!

Thai

Archived