Seller issues

Fizzbomb

4 weeks ago I sold my 2004 Motorhome.  I had only owned it for 9 months, but it quickly became clear the small lounge wasnt enough for me and I needed a lounge with 6ft benches, so with the help of 'bank of mum' I upgraded to a 2016 longer mh.

When I was selling mine I was as honest as possible with the advert, at the end of the day its an 18yr old van, the fly screens needed some attention, the radio was rubbish, but everything worked, and after a leak caused by a storm in Feb I had the whole van resealed.. it had 6 month mot left etc..

The mh had served us well, we had never had an issue mechanically or otherwise.

I had quite a bit of interest and an equal amount of messers..

My advert stated clearly that I welcomed any damp test, although I was shocked at how many didn't.

2 couples did, and the highest readings were in the lower back corner, readings of 16.. which for me is negligible.

I didn't sorn the mh, even though I had purchased my new one (so was therefore paying tax/insurance on 2 vehicles), I did this so any potential buyer had the option to come out on a drive and see how well it drove.

The potential buyers arrived on a Sunday morning 4 weeks ago, lovely couple.  I took them for a test drive, they had a good look around, very thorough as they had been in many that were smelly and sodden.

Then I left them with all the paperwork and told them I'd go back in my house and give them some time to have a look without my eyes watching them..

After a short time I went back and they said they would love to buy it, and we agreed a price (£2.5k below my asking price) which was less than I wanted to go but I was due to go away that week and didn't want the hassle on return.

He wanted to take it there and then, however I had booked a gut to come and fix the fire front later that week, I'd knocked it off and couldnt get it to clip back on, he said it was fine, and he would get it fixed.

So money transferred and away they drove.

I'd offered to stay in touch in case they had questions about how things worked etc, and shared travel tips and social media groups to join that were a great help to me when I first started..

For the first couple of weeks I received the odd message saying how happy they were with it and how they were buying bits of things to make it theirs..

Then I received a message saying "thirsty isn't she" apparently this should have been my first red flag..

Then "ive had to change the bathroom tap"  I'd personally never had an issue with it..

Then a message about needing a waste water connector, which goes over my head as ive no idea.

Then he took it for a service and it got a glowing report, finally a message not picking holes..

Later that day a message and a picture showing rear damage where he had reversed into his gate post..

I ignored advice to block the buyer, but it was becoming tiresome...

Then it ramped up..

The next day he messaged asking if id ever had an issue with the skylight, and said all his chairs were wet.

I responded that id never had any issues with any of the skylights

(In fact, during times it was parked on the drive I'd leave it open for ventilation with no issues at all)..

He claimed it was an issue but he was ordering a new one and getting the mh hab tested the next day..

He claimed the hab test had to be stopped halfway through as the whole back end was reafing upwards of 50 with a damp meter. And he had been advised the whole back end would need ripping out!!

Of course I'm not convinced, for one, I had never had an issue, two, other couples had done thorough tests and the highest reading was 16, three, with a reading that high there surely would be visible signs, or a smell, that doesnt happen overnight!

He saught advice on one of the social media forums I recommended to him, so he knew I was on it..

Many were telling him to get a 2nd opinion (which I told him to do) as we had such a hot Summer with no rain it seemed implausable..

There were also the keyboard warriors telling him to demand a refund, and "how can the seller sleep at night ripping people off" kind of thing..

Yesterday he updated that post saying on removal of the skylight the ceiling has pretty much fallen to pieces as its so wet, and posted a video of himself putting damp meter prongs into a wet patch..

He also posted a pic of the 2021 hab check which he said showed readings on the ceiling of 50 so claimed I was aware my motorhome was "riddled" with damp and that I mislead him..

The hab check actually showed ceiling readings of 14... the only reading of 50 was at one corner of the skylight (which I had then had resealed).

Now he is saying the motorhome is unfit for purpose and he is seeking legal advice

He had the opportunity to read over all the paperwork when viewing, including the hab check, he also had the opportunity to do a damp test before purchasing, he chose not to.

I still fully believe it to not have a damp issue, ive no idea what he's done with it in the 4 weeks he's had it (apart from rip the back corner off).

Surely this guy can not come back to me with any claim??

I am a single mum, with an autistic child, can really do without all the stress of this.  I have stopped responding to him now despite the urge to defend myself on the group he posted.

I didn't sleep last night, I was up googling my rights.

Its horrible having someone publicly discredit you when you know uve done nothing wrong. Guess I'm just looking fir reassurance.

Thank you

On 10/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, weldted said:

I have a 3 year old Burstner it has just suffered a horrendous gas leak from the hob, Dometic don’t want to know so if £85,000 motorhome does count why should yours? Not that the value is relevant but 3 years verses with 18 years??

Thats horrific, hope it doesn't cost too much to sort.

It was a private sale, the onus was on the prospective buyer to take any necessary pre-sale checks.

But he declined the option of a Habitation check, and don't forget he knocked the price down 2.5k too!

I wouldn't worry about it - which is easier said than done, I know

I guess he'd trusted the findings of the previous report from '21?

Personally I think the average Hab check is pretty useless in terms of locating damp - if you look at the criteria used by the NCC, it doesn't include/require any inspection underneath - which is where damp can manifest itself with the owner being blissfully unaware.

Certain vans of that era were poorly constructed - with lots of exposed wood.

For example, any pre SoLiD Elddis I can assure you, is slowly falling apart underneath!

On 10/7/2022 at 9:31 PM, Globebuster1 said:

It was a private sale, the onus was on the prospective buyer to take any necessary pre-sale checks.

But he declined the option of a Habitation check, and don't forget he knocked the price down 2.5k too!

I wouldn't worry about it - which is easier said than done, I know

I guess he'd trusted the findings of the previous report from '21?

Personally I think the average Hab check is pretty useless in terms of locating damp - if you look at the criteria used by the NCC, it doesn't include/require any inspection underneath - which is where damp can manifest itself with the owner being blissfully unaware.

Certain vans of that era were poorly constructed - with lots of exposed wood.

For example, any pre SoLiD Elddis I can assure you, is slowly falling apart underneath!

Thank you..

He's still going on with himself in a forum.. has sent me a letter demanding full refund... he won't be getting a penny. My guess is his bump (which looks like a sardine tin ripped open) has caused a lot of damage..

Its just not nice having your character dragged through the coals..

My new to me Majestic is a SoLid built, so good to hear..

On 10/5/2022 at 9:29 AM, Mickt said:

Agree sold as seen.

Is it as simple as that, does not the precise written wording used in any advert, and even any verbal statement made, both have legal implications?

The former being way easier to verify, of course.

It's a genuine question, as the quoted response along with others are at variance to my understanding.

Archived