Road Tax? Habitaton checks cost

David Dwight

Hi

Road tax renewal came two weeks ago. £175 went for tax today that will be £180 it wne tup in the budget.

Why cant DVLA get there forms in order was'nt the budget in March, how long do's it take to get there new information out, after all the form must only have been filled in within the last few weeks.

Vehicle went in for Habitation check same dealer as it was bought from, last year the check was £117 this year £176 that a hell of an increase. What have others paid.

David

We had our habitation check done last week, cost £120 all was well our van is 4 years old.

We usually take it on a round trip of 50 miles, but with hubby`s shift pattern we decided to go for a local chap who is mobile, he came to the house, saved us time and diesel.

we did approach Barron's on the A64 a few years ago, they quoted £150, and give a list of things - long as your arm - all appropriate to caravans rather than campers - but they weren't interested in negotiating. Never heard of out van.

B-)

Guest peter
Sounds like a licence to print money to me. I do my own as it entails so little, and mostly common sense. Sorry if this upsets some people with a vested interest. Appart from gas, what's the big deal.

Hi Peter.

I always did my own servicing over the 30 years we had caravans, serviced the old M/home, only having this done by dealer as vans still under warrenty. After next years service back to doing it myself.

As you say its only common sense.

We recently had big arguments with an Electrician who was putting electrics in our conservatory, we told him what we wanted, he says no REGULATIONS state. Well I told him thats not how I read the regulations. Finished the job cant give you a certificate, if any one asks you did the wiring youself. Another Electrician comes along asks what cowboy did the job and puts in what we wanted we got the certificate. Nothing to do with M/homes, but just shows whats out there when money is involved.

David

Last year the cost was around £230 for a habitation check by ...... I'll let you all guess! Fortunately it was done under a 'freebee' arrangement but if we'd had to pay it I don't think I'd have bothered!

Hi,

I recently prepared myself a fairly comprehensive habitation checklist (with tick boxes) in excel that can be printed out in landscape format. This was prepared from information seen in numerous other checklists over the years and is of course tailored to suit my own personal requirements.

If anybody would like a copy of this excel document, please mail me at steveheather@hotmail.com and i'll let you have it by return. It's free, so if it's no good to you, just bin it! Alternatively, it can easily be amended to suit individual requirements.

Regards,

Nobby

(Edited to amend spelling!) :$

I went to tax our car today a 2003 Ford Fusion 1.4TD. When I bought the car, the tax was £85 per year, I also received Nectar points, which paid for the food for my daughter's 18th. and 10,000miles worth of fuel which also carried Nectar points.

When I went to retax the car last year which I was informed would be £50 for 12 months.

This year when the lass in the Post Office scanned the bar code, she told me the rate was now £35per year-happy days.

My Hymer is still top wack!

Archived