The new 'Van' conversions. Searching for help

Hazel

The latest 'vans' on LWB with side sliding door at around 20ft are becoming our favoured choice of vehicle for touring UK and France starting March 2008. We will be doing this in chunks of 3 months at a time as we have to return to Guernsey regularly for family reasons. Staying in the island for a week or so and then off again. Therefore, from time to time the van will have to stay on site away whilst we fly home.

I have been reading, on another thread, that there are extensive delays in delivery dates for these types so we had better get our skates on and decide what we want.

Living in Guernsey means we do not have easy (or cheap travel) access to the UK dealers or shows and nor do we have a dealer in the Island so a lot of our research is internet/magazine based. So frustrating!

Because we want to be able to keep the van in Guernsey when we finally return from travelling, we have to discount the bigger sized coachbuilts.

So, what do we want in a van?

LWB about 20ft overall/ large sliding side door/full head height/ heiki roof light would be good. Decent fly screens/blinds.

Swivel front seats (with dinette/small table?)/ central kitchen with oven and large fridge (70ltrs?) decent storage throughout/ Definately Deisel heating and hot water system/ washroom with isolated shower if possible/ U shaped rear lounge that has 2 single beds but with an infill can be turned into a double bed.

Obviously there are things we would have to 'add on' like bike racks/ladder and top box etc.

Are there second hand vans around in this sort of spec or is this a new concept for 2007?

Any pointers please?

It is so hard when we cannot see actual vans.

If we can narrow it down then we can plan a UK trip to a dealer in the South, not too far from Poole or Weymouth.

We will be selling our 5 year old VW high top camper that Bilbo's converted to our spec for us. It has only done around 45,000 gentle miles, mostly in Guernsey so we will have to get to a dealer for a part exchange.

Hazel,

Welcome and let's see what we can do for you. I downsized to a van conversion (Renault Master LWB) 2 years ago and had such difficulty getting what I wanted that, in the end, I designed my own and got it converted professionally. But I wanted a double bed and two decent sized bunks. Your spec is much nearer what is obtainable from a number of converters and there should be second hand versions on the market.

BUT, you will need to compromise. All that you want simply won't fit into a van conversion. A rear U-lounge that converts into 2 longitudinal beds (or a large double) simply won't go with a front dinette and a separate shower - there isn't room.

Devon have done a rear lounge for some time, but it only converts into a transverse double. The bathroom has one of those showers partly occupied by the loo and the washbasin - difficult to use and even more difficult to dry everything off afterwards. But it does have two single beds up front; however, they make use of the swivelled seats and are not very wide - more for kids than 3 months' adult use.

Since you're on Guernsey, have you thought of buying in France? There are plenty of 'fourgons' for sale there and they'll be a lot cheaper than in the UK. Get a copy of 'Le Monde du Camping Car' to start your research.

There are dozens of LWB van conversions across Europe. Ones to try in the UK include:

Devon, IH Motorhomes*, Timberland*, Murvi (the ones marked * tend to be very expensive new - around the £45k mark)

Ones to look at in Europe include Weinsberg, Possl, Dethleffs, Trigano, Adria, Campereve - al except Campereve are also sold in the UK.

Most of the research can be done on the Internet - then just email or phone for the brochures. Then decide what are the 'must haves'. Sure you'll have to wade through quite a lot of rubbish, but you should get a picture of what's around at your price pretty quickly. As a start, try:

www.devonconversions.com

and also explore ads on this MMM site too.

Mel E

====

Having just discovered how to unearth their website, I'd also suggest you have a look at La Strada conversions from Germany.  www.lastrada-mobile.de and click the union jack for english.  It's not the most helpful site, but a number of their conversions have drop down beds, which maximise usability of the limited space in a van conversion.  Under 40,000 Euros in germany, never mind under £40,000!

Hi Hazel,

We have a Devon Conversions Monte Carlo with most of what you require - including diesel heating. However the toilet/wash basin and shower share the same space. Our 'van is 19.5 feet long and only 6.5 feet wide. We needed to buy second hand and eventually bought privately - we have been very pleased. One word of caution I think Devon, as standard, now install a two-way fridge i.e. no gas operation. Have a look at www.elitemotorhomes.co.uk, they sell new and second hand Devons, they also hire.

Regards Cattwg

:-D

Yes, La Strada are an option, but be aware that,for some reason, the depreciation on them is awful - though that may be an advantage if you're buying second hand.

Cat, I've never heard of a 'two-way fridge' before. Do you mean a 12volt compressor fridge rather than an absorption fridge? If so, they are vastly superior to absorption fridges in every respect - they're just like the fridges at home. Tha latest designs use only modest amounts of power - around 15 to 20 amp hours of power per day at 32degrees C ambient temperature, and most van conversions come with decent sized leisure batteries - and often with two.

Mel E

====

I've been having a La Strada rummage around the UK dealerships! 

Dealers rather few and far between, none seem to have any catalogues or technical info, only a couple of La Stradas in stock anywhere in UK, it seems, with supply generally delayed across the board.  Half the dealers I spoke to seemed to have been roused from their slumbers and had no idea how, since they had no stock, they could sell the vans without relevant information!  I could go on, but why bother?

Oh, there's lots at dealerships in Germany, though.  Look nicely finished and the Trento actually looks quite a viable layout.  Avanti beds are heavily truncated.  The Regents are very expensive even in Germany!  Trento/Avanti between 35,000 and 45,000 Euros, depending on spec.  regents all around 50,000/55,000 Euros.  Novas even more exensive, but no realistic payplad.

W'eve recently done fair bit of research in this area for my daughter. She has just settle on a La Strada Trento (on Ford Transit - new model with gear change in dash and hand-brae to the right which helps with swivels) --- (aaghh to comment about depreciation; but they intend to keep quite a long time!)  We were anxious to get four berths (near impossible in a van conversion) - We looked at the Devon range, Monte Carlo was quite good. I think you will be pressed to get a U shaped lounge and a dinette.  The Trento has a pull down A class style bed which is superb with a dinette set underneath.  We also found a couple of Sea Sloops based on Ducato which had similar layout but not so much storage - also head height and driving position was an issue as my son-in-law is 6'3". Didn't get to see the Horizons Unlimited Carverno but that looked good too. Danbury are doing several on the Renault Master but we felt they were dark inside as they are reluctant to fit a Heki rooflight - water ingress probs I think.  All in all it's a tall order for a Van conversion but hey the Trento which is awaiting delivery next week ticked our boxes - you're looking at £33k OTR though!  Hope you find what you want.... David

The big problems with pull-down beds in van conversions are:

- they have to be longitudinal which means climbing in one end - and it's always the pillow end because there typically isn't room for heads under the front of the van with its sloping roof. Getting in and, especially, out, of the end of a high-level bed is fraught at the best of times - loo visits in the early hours are besty avoided if there are two of you sharing the bed

- as they retract into the roof space, there is normally very little space left to fit a decent sized skylight

- you lose the high level cupboards which provide such excellent storage for long trips - it's why the SEA Sloop model with that size of bed has almost no storage. Totally inadequate for 3 months at a time as Hazel wants.

Incidentally both the Devon Monte Carlo and its fixed rear double bed alternative have a two seat front dinette. And the U-shaped rear lounge can also be used for dining with a knock-down table. Bur, unless you are quite tall, you'll find your legs hang in mid-air when sitting down - not very comfortable!

One reason why the La Strada vans depreciate so badly may well be their rarity on UK shores - a rarity which doesn't look likely to change soon from reports above!

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

Yes. I was just advising that gas may not be an option on the fridge.

I have no experience of compressor fridges (evidenced by the fact I thought they worked off mains as well as 12v!?) so cannot comment but as we often park up (camp site or otherwise) without electrics, I would not be comfortable having a 'non gas' fridge.

Regards Cattwg :-)

I've just come across some of the research I did when looking for a 4 berth van conversion.

If you fancy a trip in France, try Car-Caravane in Pont de Metz (Tel: 03 22 89 65 93). They have four excellent models, all on Renault Master that seat, eat and sleep 4 people. Models are called Estival; Estival 2; Eastival 3 and Estival 370.

Mel E

====

• 2 months later...
You could also add Knaus, although it will be very similar to the Weinsberg, both being from the Knaus-Tabbert stable, and La Strada.  I think you'll find that most of these vans are "clones" of each other.  They are joined in Europe by the (also similar) van conversions marketed under the brand names of all members of the Trigano group.  The Trigano Tribute sold in UK is different from the others, but its quality has recieved adverse comments.  If Possl is available in UK, it would be through a smaller, private, importer.  Campreve is a well established, and well reputed, French converter of panel vans.  There are several others, but they don't really offer anything unique and, being single outlet companies, the problem of ordering and collection would seem to outweigh any advantage.  The common drawback to all, except I think the Trigano Tribute, is a small fridge.

Guest JudgeMental

Can I also add the "Karman Davis" to the mix.

Saw this model at Belgian dealer recently and was impressed with interior finish - also it had opening windows in back doors which I believe not all "van" type conversions have. But it was the finish that impressed, the insulation panels where proper factory built panels. European LHD price was around 40.000 -

£27000 @ current exchange rates.

Karman are a quality German manufacturer who normally build on VW. This is on the Fiat in a nice dark silver. Worth a look....

Hi Hazel

This might seem like i am totally biased but Adria do three van conversions one based one a fiat and the other two on renualt vans the twin is adria 's most popular van but it has a fixed bed at the back which can be folded up during the day as to make a pasage through the vehicle,the front end it has a twin seat and a table and the driver and passenger seat swivel round ,this layout is available abroad as well if you go on adria's website there is also the same front layout but the back end is parallel seating which then coverts into a bed ,this model is about £30.000 new.I hope you find a layout that suits your needs.

Regards

David

net-traveller:

Not sure I fully understand your question about Possl dealers.

As you point out the Possl brand is not marketed in the UK (so no official UK dealers nor RHD Possls) and the Possl website provides details of Continental-European Possl agents.

I expect you could get a Possl via Bundesvan if you didn't want to import one yourself. You might also try contacting Hampshire Caravan & Motorhome Centre (02392 374 921), as I think I saw a 4x4 Possl on their stand at the last Shepton Mallet show.

Hazel,

Given their proximity, reputation for good service, and their willingness to tweak to customer requirements, Murvi seem the logical choice to me. Their Morello is fantastic, multi award winning, and not overpriced like some of the high-end 'van conversions.

It ticks most of your boxes with the main exception of a U shaped rear lounge, but as in the previous posts, you're probably going to have to compromise your original layout, unless you buy a coachbuilt!

Second hand ones on the outgoing base vehicles are to be had at good prices, and have the benefit of being skinnier for you home roads.

Definitely worth a gander.

Guest JudgeMental
Poor quality picture taken on phone, showing opening rear windows on Karmann Davis. seem to haver lost interior shots...

Image021.jpg.a21e21f4e8e5c0f51bffb389d32c0f09.jpg

Archived