KonTiki 640 Fresh Water inlet - help required

Bobeye

I have recently purchased a Swift KonTiki 640.
The fresh water inlet is of the type whereby you open a drop down door to expose the inlet.
I have been told by the retailers that this is the wrong type of opening and should be just a twist locking top.
Pictures are available from:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Could someone tell me if this is a normal water inlet door.
Being as the inlet is split I am trying to get the retailer to replace it under warranty but I would like to be armed with as much info as possible
Many thanks for any help offered in advance

Hi Bobeye, Can't be much help, but the outside cover in the picture is similar to the one fitted to the fresh water inlet for the toilet on our 4 year old Kon Tiki. Ours has a locking twist cap for the fresh water tank.I wonder if yours is original or if someone has modified it. If the dealer pointed this out as a problem then you would expect them to be helpful in changing it.

Hope you enjoy your new van.

Cheers, George.

tonyishuk - 2007-05-01 7:28 PMIt looks rather like the inlet used by a caravan with an external pump. Where the pump sits in a container and the water is pumped to the tank...

Thank you tonyishuk it does have a two pin plug below the housing for a pump (which was also supplied with the MH)

Fear not, it's identical in every respect to the one on our Bessacarr E695 (same van, different badge). Works fine, and possibly preferable to the locking filler-cap type which seem to have loads of trouble either not locking, or refusing to unlock.

We don't have the connection for a submersible pump so fill using either hose (where it will reach) or watering can (where it won't).

I realise this doesn't help your case in getting a replacement, but from the look of where the split seems to be it should be a simple case of replacing just the outer bit of tubing. Don't let them fob you off with the other type unless the original is no longer available.

Enjoy your new can - it looks great.

Bobeye - 2007-05-01 11:21 PM
Thank you tonyishuk it does have a two pin plug below the housing for a pump (which was also supplied with the MH)

Many will laugh, of course, but have you tried Swift? 

The split is a bit odd, if it is what I think I'm seeing.  The water tank hasn't shifted, has it, and put a strain on the filler pipe?  May be worth checking. 

With a split filler, and with water in the tank, where would the water end up as it surges around inside the tank and up the filler pipe while driving?  Might there be a bit of a damp problem somewhere beneath the filler?

Bob

Your pictures appear to be the same or similar to one I have seen at either O'Leary's - Beverly or Magnum - Grimsby (can't remember which)

See Business Directory "Company" for both on this site for details if your dealer can't sort for you.

Both have websites for contact.

Flicka

Thank you to everyone and a big thank you to flicka (found the part on O'Leary web site).

I have sourced the part which was beyond my MH suppliers, I have also sent them details on where to get the part from, how much it is, what the product code is, a full description, and the offer to hire the forum to source parts on their behalf as we seem to be far more professional than they are.

What a shame that companies dont put as much effort into after-sales and customer care and can only work from the manual in front of them.. really drives me mad at times!!!!!

So thanks again guys brilliant as always

The water Filler is a fairly standard Swift item. My 1993 Royale 540 has the same one fitted except that the flap lifts instead of drops. If you phone Swift they will supply one or give you the name of a dealer who stocks them. You could also try a Swift Main Dealer like Marquis, they probably have them in stock.

Phil.

Archived