How d'you change Speedo on Hymer/MB 412

Hughmer

I'm in process of importing a year 2000 Hymer S660. Despite prior DVLA advice to the contrary - and the fact that the speedo dial is not part of the MOT test - I discovered today at DVLA Wimbledon during the inspection (to ensure it was a motorhome) that I have to have a speedo showing mph and kph (Construction and use Regulations 1986, Section 35).

Deepcut are kindly supplying me with a film overlay that needs to be inserted between the speedo head and the Merc fascia but I have no idea where to start taking the dashboard apart and how to get to the speedo.

Any advice greatly and warmly appreciated.

Guest JudgeMental

I had the same experience at Wimbledon 3 weeks ago...

ford charged me £87 including the dreaded to fit. (plus £180 for cluster)

cant help regarding merc, but I looked at doing it myself and could not see it at all - garage did it in 20 minutes but loading software was another 30 minutes...

all I know is its tricky to fit stickers without damaging needle.

incidentally did they say anything regards fog light or head lights - as they did not to me...

Wish I'd bought a Ford. MB's price is about £500 parts & labour for new fitted and reprogrammed speedo!

I'll be sure tomorrow but I understand Deepcar's film sits on front of the speedo head behind the fascia. Hopefully I won't need to interfere with needles.

My problem is I don't know where to start dismantling the dashboard to get at the speedo.

W'don said nothing about lights. I didn't expect them to as these items are covered by the MOT and that was all OK (only rear fogs are part of the MOT as far as I know)

I had adjusted the dipped beams before my MOT last Wednesday. They're Hella units with 3 pan head screws on the back. By loosening these slightly the rear of the unit can be pulled back past an internal locator lug and revolved a few degrees. This rotates a shade inside the lamp-housing to throw the dark area to the other side of the road. It still needed a tweak with the alignment screws. The garage did this for £6 during the MOT

Archived