V5 Registration Document Abroad

JohnP

Does anyone know whether the original must be carried or is a photocopy OK when travelling abroad.

I am changing my vehicle with a personalised number plate. This will take place on my return from holiday. The dealer needs the original V5 during the time I am away to enable the registration number to be transferred in order to meet his delivery/changeover date.

Passionwagon,

I assume what you mean is that you always have originals in yourt motorhome and keep copies at home. That's what you should do, anyway.

We have been asked for the V5 and the Certificate of Insurance when abroad - usually at border crossing points

In October 2005, while travelling North back to France, I was stopped near Pamplona by two machine gun toting Guardia Civil who were checking northbound Camping-Cars with regard to their ownership and/or stolen status. It was explained that many vehicles are stolen and then driven out of the country on the pretext of being 'Turistico's'. My Hobby camper is LHD and therefore even more likely to attract some degree of suspicion while carrying UK plates.

I was required to produce original V5 and also original driving licence to verify that my van and I were indeed entitled to be in each others' company. I didn't establish what would have happened had I not had the requisite documents but at the very least there would undoubtedly have been some significant inconvenience for me on what was already a long day.

The message is clear I think.

Nobby

Well I never I don't believe it, are you really suposed to take originals ..

What for the burglers... *-)GAS attack is that all the passion in the waggon?

John can you not give them the copy and take originals with you will they take a copy ?...maybe not 8-)

Archived