W2 Go

michele

Please tell me how to set the Tom Tom Go 510 to avoid motorways please . Thing is when you are lost and you don't know where you are going anyway it keeps trying to re direct to th Mororways ...can you help .

I want to change the setting and take the little lanes or minor roads

Guest JudgeMental

not really my domain..

But, I think its best to work out your route via Autoroute 2007 and transfer to TT.

how to do this is explained in previous W2GO GPS threads - just search.

its all beyond me :$

if you put in route A to B unit will always take motorway routes if you have selected "fastest route". I have a Garmin and download pre planned holiday routes from computer to GPS thus avoiding your problem.

Sory should of said just in the car ...TT wll ask hubby what that means but he's enjoying himself with the lads in France again. God for bid anyone who breaks in they will probably get gassed te he. ;-) imagine 4 burley cop's snoring ........No Thanks I hear you all say. :D

I tend to avoid shortest route as I've had instances where it's taken me off of an A-Road (where I was leaving a queue of traffic) onto a side road (which runs in parallel and cuts off the bend and is 20 feet shorter) before bringing me back on the A-road where I sit while the queue who were following me go past.

I don't agree that shortest avoids motorways.  Shortest is shortest and it will plot whichever distance is the shortest . . . . if you see what I mean.

Is there possibly a confusion here between the functions of a navigator (who/which merely tells the driver where to go), and a route planner (which/who selects the route for the navigator to follow)?

To plan a route avoiding motorways, unless your route planner has an option to avoid certain types of roads (which Autoroute has), will involve selecting points along the route (waymarks, pushpins?)from a map (possibly aided by Autoroute), transfering these to the navigator, and then leaving that to get you from point to point along your route.

I think what is being asked exceeds the capability of an electronic navigator, unless it also includes comprehensive route planning and preferred road option facilities.

That's mainly true Brian.  I can't speak for other SatNav systems but TomTom will allow you to say 'take me to that point' with the main options being Fastest, Shortest or Avoid Motorways.

TomTom also has an itinerary planner where you can set waypoints to get to point X via point A, B and C thus you can choose to go on or avoid certain roads much as you can with AutoRoute.

Don't know about Tom Tom but my Mio has an option to avoid certain types of roads, including Motorway, Minor Road, Cross Border Roads etc.

And if you select avoid motorways it certainly does, but you need to manually check your route if in a motorhome before you set off as some of the roads could be a problem.

Quite right, that's good advice.

Probably like most satnav software you get the choice, once plotted, to avoid cercain bits.  Like road closed ahead for instance, in which case it will find an alternative route.

Catherine - 2007-05-03 8:03 PM

On my version of TomTom (Navigator 6) you go to "Change preferences" from the main menu then select "Planning preferences" then select "avoid motorways". I would expect most versions to work in this way.

That's a good way if you 'always' want to avoid motorways.

You can also use the first option on that menu ''Ask me every time I plan' and then whenever you do a route you will get the full list of options.

us just shouts at the navi in our new lexus - and it dus what its told.

2b fare it dont like being shouted at, but seems to like being cursed.

tried calling it tom, but it dont answer - so us dont spose it knows who tom is?

avoid motorways i shouts - it shouts back "there aint no motorways in cornwall you bloody old fool"

fred

fred grant - 2007-05-03 9:28 PM us just shouts at the navi in our new lexus - and it dus what its told. 2b fare it dont like being shouted at, but seems to like being cursed. tried calling it tom, but it dont answer - so us dont spose it knows who tom is? avoid motorways i shouts - it shouts back "there aint no motorways in cornwall you bloody old fool" fred

Fred,

Sounds like my wife.....

Archived