The curse of Kontiki

Rapide561

The curse of Kontiki

This is the story of my Swift Kontiki 665, Swift build reference 9465. The van was brand new last year – 2006 – and collected by myself from the supplying dealer on June 6th. At handover, all appeared well…

I drove the van home and parked on the drive. I began to load up the van with various accessories, pots and pans and so on. The first problem occurred, I could not close the habitation door. A strong smell of gas was also present – this was traced to the gas locker where ice was forming around the gas pipe on the cylinder. The vehicle was returned to the dealer the next day.

I also spent a few hours reading all the literature with the van. The van was advertised to have full AA breakdown cover. I phoned the AA to check the vehicle was registered etc, and it was. I noted that their literature supplied with the van stated that cover was not provided if the vehicle weighed more than 3500 kg. Mine weighed in at 4000 kg. I asked the operator about this and on several calls, it was reiterated that cover would NOT be provided. I telephoned Swift and they were adamant cover was provided. The AA, however, disputed this. After numerous phonecalls, e mails etc, the situation was resolved. I had stated I would reject the vehicle if the matter was not resolved…..I only wish I had rejected it there and then.

On June 25th, I took the van on it’s first trip. All was not well. En route to the “Rivendale Campsite” in Derbyshire, the toilet door fell off it’s runners. Overnight, the heating system developed a fault and various niggles appeared. The van was again returned to the dealers. The heating thermostat was adjacent to the boiler and so this was relocated elsewhere. The toilet door repaired, along with the niggles.

Due to work commitments, the van had very little use until the 2nd January this year, when I headed for Lake Garda for a 6 month stay. I was aware that the Swift warranty ceased to be invalid if I was overseas for more than 90 days consecutively, but was not too worried by this….if only I knew what was ahead.

On the 3rd January, I stopped at Bellinzona services in Switzerland. I used the habitation door to let my dog out for a tinkle. The door would not close. On inspection it appeared that the locking bolts at the bottom of the door had fallen out of place, preventing the door from closing. I telephoned the supplying dealer for advice. I managed to “fiddle” with the lock and put it in it’s housing, but to secure the door closed, I used a trouser belt and a dog lead fastened to the interior umbrella rack! On arrival at Garda a few hours later, I again spoke with the dealer. The choice was taking the door somewhere to “get it stripped down” to gain access to the bolts or, a DIY job, whereby damaging the interior panel of the door, I could secure the bolts using a screwdriver. I took the latter option, and I soon had effected a repair leaving cosmetic damage to the interior of the door.

In the coming days and weeks, the Curse of Kontiki really started to come alive. First there was a gasleak – again in the locker area. The campsite owner helped me to trace the leak, and the gasleak was coming from within the gas pipe. A new gaspipe was sent out from the UK by courier and fitted in due course.

The day after the gasleak, I settled down for hour with a good book. I switched on a reading light – and – caput. I had a little chuckle as I had purposely brought a load of spare bulbs for these lights. I changed the bulb – nothing. Undeterred, I changed places in the motorhome and read from another location. I switched the reading light on – caput – the whole lot tripped out. I got the torch out and replaced the appropriate fuse. The whole lot tripped again when I switched the light on. Investigations later revealed there was a problem with the wiring in the light. I had the wires cut and made safe until two new lamps were sent to Italy by courier by the supplying dealer.

So then, so far I had issues with gas and the 12V system. Next, the 230V system decided to play up! Yes, it tripped out. I tried to reset it, but it was having none of it. It was quite late at night, so I sent an email to the UK dealer. The following day, I was able to reset the system, but there was clear evidence of “overheating/smouldering/smoke damage”. I list three “options” there as I do not know what caused the problem. At least it was working today…

Next, the water shortage. I do not know why I looked in the double floor space, but I am glad I did. The Fiamma water expansaion tank had burst. There was water in the double floor space. I phoned the UK dealer and also e mailed Fiamma. Fortunately, located about 20 miles away, I found a very helpful “Rollerteam” dealer who had the parts in stock. They fitted the item that afternoon and once again all was well. I paid cash for the item and obtained a receipt. Here there is a story in itself. I had emailed Swift in respect of these items and one email from them said they WOULD reimburse me, the other said the “would CONSIDER” reimbursement. The dealer did however state they would reimburse me none the less.

Externally, there are several orange running lights on the van. Many were not working as they were full of water. Replacements were sent by courier, in the same parcel as the reading lamps.

Meanwhile, following a thunder storm and heavy rain – heavy but not “torrential”, I found rain water dripping in by the Luton window, kitchen window and the rear Heki. This was recorded on camera.

The habitation door continued to be a naughty one, and by now would not close properly – sounds just like day one, rain water was getting into the vehicle via the door, the door would not lock and the central locking link between the cab doors and the habitation door was not working.

Later, the hab door packed up altogether and could not be opened! I had to climb over the cab seats to enter the motorhome! Yikes!

The heating once again became defective and on electrical operation, the thermostat once again appeared ineffective.

The centre Heki roof light has a night blind and a fly screen. The flyscreen was inoperable.

The Omnistep was not fully functional. The external locks on locker doors were defective. The boiler also makes a rattling noise as though it is full of rattle snakes. Two of the Truma blown heating pipes fall out of their housings. The microwave is also not fully functional. It works for a few minutes and then cuts out. It must be noted the microwave is “factory fit” in a cupboard. The Sharp manual, (Sharp being the brand of the oven) states that a minimum airflow of 6 inches must be provided. This air gap is not present.

Finally, the reversing camera gave up the ghost and the monitor showed merely a blue screen with the words “no signal” on display.

I returned to the UK on Friday 27th April, and the vehicle was returned to the UK dealer on Monday 30th April.

This is the list of faults as presented to the dealer on that day. Wording in bold shows the action applied by the dealer.

External running light on Luton – full of water – on order.

Cente Heki flyscreen – adjusted.

EC200 power box – on order

Habitation door – various faults – new door on order

Reversing camera defective – on order

Rear panel sealant – “normal”

Omnistep sticking – I do not know what was done, but it works!

Water filler cap – replaced

Thermostat defective – no fault found

Truma Pipes – again resolved.

Microwave oven – no response/solution offered.

Loose wire under boiler – apparently it does serve a purpose.

Water heater rattle – no fault found

I also asked that the work done by the Italian dealers was checked.

On Wednesday 2nd May, I returned to the dealer to have the new EC200 control panel fitted. This was expedited quickly. On my way back from the dealers, driving along the A1, I heard a very loud “bang, bang, bang”. I thought, oh no, the satellite dish. I stopped immediately to find the dish was OK. The problem was the rear ladder. The lock holding it closed had failed and the lower half of the ladder was trailing on the road. It is now secure with a shoe lace and some tape.

On Thursday 3rd May, I felt the new EC200 unit was defective. I phoned the manufacturer (Sargent electrical in Hull) and advised them of the problem. They were amongst the most pleasant people I have ever spoke to by phone, and the gentleman there (Dave) provided some technically suggestions. I tried this, but I felt the unit was defective. I phoned the dealer again and a new one was ordered.

Overnight, I was able to make a sound recording of the “rattling noise” within the boiler. The dealer had previously found no fault. I appreciate the recording will not help the dealer a great deal, but at least they enjoy the experience.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Russell - I find your troubles absolutly appalling, talk about a Friday afternoon build, I think I would have returned home and demanded my money back, as the vehicle was clearly not fit for purpose. It sounds if your dealer tried to do their best of a bad job. It is probably one of the reasons why many buyers buy foriegn imports, its a sad reflection on British manufacturing. The only positive thing to come out of this situation is for you to tell us , so has to avoid the brand like the plague. Regards chas :'(

Nice to see you on MMM, I won't have to pay to talk with you now!!

I have been reading of your ongoing problems for quite a while on the other forum. Totally unbelievable. Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

Hi Russell,

It sounds worse reading it all in one go, what does one say when it's already been said elsewhere.

I always thought "You were never adrift with a Swift" but you obviously are.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, but I would want rid of the beast.

Regards

Don

Guest JudgeMental

First can I say welcome to the friendly forum!

have been following your exploits on "the other.." for quite a while as not a member (best left there) I will start of by saying, I told you so - but I can't because I didn't! :-D

Do not buy British again - I know its a shame/shaming but better quality and prices available from Europe.

Going down to Lake Garda in July - booked into " Camping Fornella ". via mossel river, lake constanz, Austria. may get some advice from you regards route as you are a bit of an expert on this - you are in good company, as boy are there some xspurts on here!:-D

sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and companion,

better luck with your next purchase, post here with shortlist - guaranteed mature and reasoned advice *-)

Derek - I joined the site ages ago as a reader rather than a writer, but have time on my hands as it were LOL.

Just had a phone call from Swift, advising that the door would be available "early June". I have asked Swift where the door is made. I believe it is made by Hymer at a factory in Italy. Might be quicker for a quick cheap flight with Jet2 and for my to bring the beggar back!

Russell

I find it amazing how folk on this and other motorhome forums are so objective when discussing the different makes of motorhomes. I see little, if any at all, of the "mine is better that yours" approach that we see on some other forums.

For example, my family (immediate and extended) are crazy about bows (i.e. bows and arrows). The bow forums can get really nasty when discussing the merits of the different makes and sometimes insults are traded. The crazy thing is: the bow you choose will depend on your body, style of shooting and intended use. Furthermore, bows have become so accurate that the variation (as in missing the target) is due to the person operating the bow.

When it comes to motorhomes, I see genuine advice, concern and help. So …. Well done you lot!

Russell

What a sorry, sorry, story.  From what you say, your van still has serious outstanding defects.  You seem not to have had rectification of the various leaks, or of the microwave problem, for example.

It seems your dealer has done his best, indeed, in couriering bits to you in Italy, better than most.  However, do not lose sight of the fact that it is the dealer, and not Swift - or any of the other component manufacturers, who is legally responsible to you for the state of your van.  It is the dealer's legal responsibility, and no one else's.

For that reason I would strongly urge you to take your problem to your local Trading Standards department and ask them where you stand, legally, vis a vis rejection the vehicle as unfit for purpose.  You may not necessarily wish to pursue this route, but once you have the facts you will know, with certainty, exactly where you stand and what your options are.  I would add that you should not delay.

If you can still reject (and I believe you may still be able to do so), I think you should consider writing the necessary letter (TS will advise and have "pro forma" type drafts).  You could always deliver this personally to the dealer rather than just posting it.  Talk to the MD, explain you would much prefer to be doing otherwise, that you act with regret - whatever you like,  but make clear you can't afford to continue in present circumstances.  Then ask him if he has any alternative he can offer. 

I think he owes you (albeit Swift owes him more, but he'll just have to fight that out with Swift himself!).  I think you are entitled to at least some compensation for expense and loss of use, and it would surely be better to put the value of that compensation into a replacement van via a good dealer, (i.e. yours) than to get cash compensation and then try trading it elsewhere with a different dealer who may not be so good.  He'll also probably find it easier to put the value into another van, than to hand over actual cash. 

Remember, the costs are not just those of phone calls and any items you've had to buy.  You have lost time on your trip remedying faults, you have had to take the van back and forth to the dealer, you seem to have somewhat curtailed your trip, you have suffered some hardship and discomfort, all as a consequence of the defects in this vehicle.  Even your trip (and the time for it) to TS, any legal bills you incur, even the cost of bringing a case to court and attending yourself, are all eligible to be taken into the reckoning.

In short, I think your van, sadly, is a pup, and you should get rid of it by the most cost effective and expedient route.  If you don't, you'll never really trust it, and that niggling worry will reduce your enjoyment of whatever you set out to do.

Ivys - 2007-05-04 11:36 AM

I find it amazing how folk on this and other motorhome forums are so objective when discussing the different makes of motorhomes. I see little, if any at all, of the "mine is better that yours" approach that we see on some other forums.

For example, my family (immediate and extended) are crazy about bows (i.e. bows and arrows). The bow forums can get really nasty when discussing the merits of the different makes and sometimes insults are traded. The crazy thing is: the bow you choose will depend on your body, style of shooting and intended use. Furthermore, bows have become so accurate that the variation (as in missing the target) is due to the person operating the bow.

When it comes to motorhomes, I see genuine advice, concern and help. So …. Well done you lot!

Agreed, however I do believe there is an element of "what the hell did you buy that for?", especially when it comes to discussing the merits of buying British or Foreign.

Just a personal observation, maybe incorrect. :-D

Join the club Russell. I'm really sorry to hear of your problems, they seem to be never ending, much like mine. At least your dealer has been trying to help you, mine were absolutely useless for a year until I went legal.

Incidentally, to those who say go foreign, mine's a Burstner and still not resolved after eighteen months.

Hi. I am sat at the dealers at present. I have been given a cheque to cover all expenses incurred, diesel and parts purchased overseas. The new EC200 panel is in situ and working. The camera is however causing a spot of bother. Will report back in due course.

Many people have suggested to me not to buy British, but the thing I like about a Swift is its' "britishness" - a good oven, sensibly placed tv points etc.

This week I have looked at many vans. One, a Dethleffs 7871-2 is on the shortlist. There is a dedicated flat screen tv locker with a 12v power point - yet no 230v supply close by.

Will report back soon.

Russell

Rapide561 - 2007-05-04 3:40 PM

Hi. I am sat at the dealers at present. I have been given a cheque to cover all expenses incurred, diesel and parts purchased overseas. The new EC200 panel is in situ and working. The camera is however causing a spot of bother. Will report back in due course.

Many people have suggested to me not to buy British, but the thing I like about a Swift is its' "britishness" - a good oven, sensibly placed tv points etc.

This week I have looked at many vans. One, a Dethleffs 7871-2 is on the shortlist. There is a dedicated flat screen tv locker with a 12v power point - yet no 230v supply close by.

Will report back soon.

Russell

We've got an Italian van. It has a full oven, grill and four ring hob. There is a dedicated TV locker with TV and Satellite connections along with both 12v and 230v sockets.

We've had it for 15 months and apart from the Truma recall and a Dometic fridge problem (both fixed under guarantee) has been perfect.

Rapide561 - 2007-05-04 2:40 PM

.............There is a dedicated flat screen tv locker with a 12v power point - yet no 230v supply close by.

Russell

Hi Russell

So sorry to hear this tale - I know you put a lot of time into preparing for your long trip and were, naturally, looking forward to it in a new van.

I'm not sure you should be worrying over not having a 240v socket near the TV point as you would probably wish to have TV available when not on hook up - so just have it permamnently plugged into 12v.

Good luck with getting things sorted.

Regards, David

Sorry tohear of your problems, we had major problems with a Swift 590RS that we bought in 2001, including an indoor swimming pool! Loads of faults and we managed to get most sorted but PX'd it 18 months later as we just didn't want it anymore and were worried what would go wrong when it was out of warranty.

I have always said I would never touch another Swift and I'm glad I never have! Even some of the dealers admit that, although they've come a fair way build etc wise, they still have a fair way to go as well compared to a lot of the competition.

If I was in your shoes I'd certainly look into getting shot of it back to the dealers and getting your money back or a purchase price-matched deal on another van to compensate. Talk to Trading Standards, even if you decide not to go down that route at least you'll know your options and, more importantly, the timescale in which you have to make up your mind.

'fraid I have to take issue with Brian K's normally sound advice - you have no chance of rescinding the contract and getting your money back. By taxing, insuring and driving away in the 'van you've basically accepted the vehicle and the only obligation the dealer/manufacturer has is to honour the warrantee terms - which they appear to be doing.

It would be quite different in the USA where many states adopt the principle of "three strikes and you're out" - ie if three major faults occur with a purchase of this value within a defined period of time then the supplier must replace it with new one or return your money. What we really need is a campaigning magazine brave enough to argue the case for this legislation in the UK.

What really gets me is that your faults are not related to high tech sophisticated matters but just bog standard stuff and of course your experience is not limited to Swift or UK manufacturers. But until we get a consummer led motorhome press, and while we continue to just shrug our collective shoulders, things ain't gona change - we'll continue to get the quality and service we deserve which is "p... poor" relative to equivalent consummer goods.

Vernon

It seems surprising that some vehicles from Swift seem poor yet others are excellent. I have a 2006 Bessacarr that has hardly had a problem, and the only item causing difficulty is a Reversing Camera that lights up when I touch the brakes and the sidelights are on. I have had no problem with the Sharp factory fitted microwave.

David

Supertractorman - 2007-05-05 9:50 PM

It seems surprising that some vehicles from Swift seem poor yet others are excellent. I have a 2006 Bessacarr that has hardly had a problem, and the only item causing difficulty is a Reversing Camera that lights up when I touch the brakes and the sidelights are on. I have had no problem with the Sharp factory fitted microwave.

David

Hi David, Production Engineers will explain that what you are referring to are sure signs that the manufacturing systems adopted by Swift (and pretty much all the others) are not "capable" of producing consistent levels of quality. Much of this is down to the trades obsession with changing models every year (the Kontiki being a case in point) and the poor calibre of its management and manufacturing engineers.

Vernon.

Vernon B - 2007-05-06 10:19 AM

Much of this is down to the trades obsession with changing models every year (the Kontiki being a case in point)

Vernon.

Personally think you have hit the nail on the head here... just as the problems are ironed out during production of a certain model, it gets replaced and the process of initially building "lemons" starts again.

Demand from fickle consumers must make it worth their while though.

I emailed the post to my cousin in Devon, he used to have a Kontiki, don't know the model, but it was the Vogue long one which should have had the bunks at the back RH side. This is his reply:

It makes u think !! I had many prob`s with me Kontiki I had 3 lots of sides fitted & 4 fuel pumps replaced , and on a camp site when the gray water tank was full we could`nt open the door !!

Vernon B - 2007-05-05 8:57 PM 'fraid I have to take issue with Brian K's normally sound advice - you have no chance of rescinding the contract and getting your money back.

That's a bit too pessimistic, Vernon!  Firstly I did say "may" be able to reject, second I said to seek TS advice.  From the general advice given on the TS website (which is actually quite detailed and well worth seeking out), it is possible to rescind a purchase, even if the faults were not spotted on delivery, and even if the seller has since tried to make repairs.  However, the general test is whether the repairs have been completed properly and within a reasonable time, and whether this has been at unreasonable inconvenience to the buyer.  Both are judgements, requiring some detailed and specialist inputs, which is where TS should be able to help.

It is unlikely to result in the vehicle being returned for a full cash refund, there will be a reduction for use, and if the outcome has to be decided in court, there is the risk of what the court may award.  Good advice, and a clear head, are therefore essential.  However, I think it may be worth exploring this possibility, if only to prove it's viability one way or the other.  In these circumstances, never say never!  In the final analysis, however, negotiating for a generous settlement on another van, provided the dealer co-operates, does seems likely to get the best outcome, for the least expense, with the lowest risk.

Vernon B - 2007-05-06 10:19 AM
Supertractorman - 2007-05-05 9:50 PM It seems surprising that some vehicles from Swift seem poor yet others are excellent. I have a 2006 Bessacarr that has hardly had a problem, and the only item causing difficulty is a Reversing Camera that lights up when I touch the brakes and the sidelights are on. I have had no problem with the Sharp factory fitted microwave. David
Hi David, Production Engineers will explain that what you are referring to are sure signs that the manufacturing systems adopted by Swift (and pretty much all the others) are not "capable" of producing consistent levels of quality. Much of this is down to the trades obsession with changing models every year (the Kontiki being a case in point) and the poor calibre of its management and manufacturing engineers. Vernon.

Might be interesting to find out if Swift claim an ISO 9001 QA system.  If they do, it might also be interesting to find out who issued, and checks, the certificate.  A van that bad can only result if a) the QA procedures are inadequate to the nature of the task (which is a fail) or b) if they weren't followed (which is also a fail).  The point being that the object is consistency, whatever the intended quality.  Consistently bad is fine, but variation between bad and good is a fail!

A talk to the certifier, or even a visit with the van, might be instructive.  The threat of losing their certification just might make Swift sit up and take notice.  Having worked within an ISO 9001 organistaion, there was quite a lot of excitement when the inspector came to call!  I'm sure some of these are cynical box ticking exercises, but they are all moderated, as are the certifiers, and I know from personal experience that many things are picked up and some, at least, of the certifiers have teeth - and use them.

If we all griped at the certifiers when things go wrong, as well as at the manufacturer and dealer, we just might make the ground, ever so slightly, move!

Mel B - 2007-05-04 7:19 PM

I have always said I would never touch another Swift and I'm glad I never have! Even some of the dealers admit that, although they've come a fair way build etc wise, they still have a fair way to go as well compared to a lot of the competition.

What a SAD story ! just as another Manufacturing plant here in Wales closes, (for costing cutting reasons rather than bad quality workmanship) we hear of a company that has grown huge,slowly' mopping up' most of the british made opposition brand names,only to let their quality control go 'Down the tubes' . They should be 'pulling out ALL the stops' to quash

their 'bad quality' reputation that they are aquiring,OR the next loss of manufacturing jobs will be in the North-East.

Then we will ALL be forced to buy European styled Vans, (which I am not fond of) What a shame that Avondale gave up making Motorhomes, they made lovely good quality vans, but obviously good quality costs a lot to maintain in production. Their Caravans still have the quality but for how long ? Autocruise & Autosleeper FORGET production targets and concentrate on your QUALITY . A good reputation that takes years to aquire can be lost (forever) in a batch of hastily prepared vans.

PS why not open a factory Wales ? :D

Hi Brian sorry about the pessimism but unfortunately it is based on some personal experience. With regard to even Russell's situation I think I had concrete grounds for taking the "unfit for purpose" route and my local TS office was certainly very supportive and helpful in providing information. However there's no doubt my particular dealer is more wised up on the sale of goods act than good customer care and knows full well that the longer the clock was ticking away the less chance I had of making the claim stick.

As you point out the most sensible course of action is to seek some form of "negotiated" settlement but again the dealer holds all the cards and before you know it a further 6 months has gone by which in turn is deemed to show that you have accepted the vehicle. As a last resort, and having consulted the TS I took the step of rescinding the contract and returning the vehicle. The dealer simply left it in their compound and chose not to reply to my letters. Now what do you do?

Although the "law" appears to be on your side ultimately you have to "put-up" or "shut-up". As far as the TS were concerned they were not prepared to get directly involved in the matter due to the relatively high value of the purchase (£50k). Basically they felt that if I had that sought of disposable income I should use the legal profession! And for obvious reasons they were not prepared to forecast my chances of winning a court case.

My solicitors were equally reticent about my chances of success not helped by their difficulting in finding solid case law authorities. What they could tell me is that by just bringing the matter to court would cost me £7,000 and if the dealer sought to challenge my case I'd need very very deep pockets.

I accept that my observation that you have no chance of of rescinding the contract and getting your money back may be over the top and there may be cases of other people getting a satisactory outcome from negotiating with their dealer. (I should perhaps say here that I was never pushing for a full refund of the purchase price). But I doubt whether anyone in the UK has taken a unfit for purpose case to court for a motorhome or caravan through the UK courts and won that case. And unless you are prepared to go to down that route at the end of the day the dealer wins hands down and your left with egg on your face!

Finally, none of what I have experienced gives any indication of how difficult it would be to demonstrate the principle of "unfit for purpose" in a court of law. This is not helped by the fact that, in my view, we now have a government that is unfit for purpose, and indeed minister's who accept that they have created and run departments that are unfit for purpose and yet as the recent elections show 27% of the electorate are perfectly happy with that level of functionality.

Sorry - I'm actually a pretty positive sort of chap and love my motorhoming but ...

Vernon.

Vernon

You oviously feel hard done by and may have posted the info before (I'm having a bit of a stressful time at present and heads spinning) but do name and shame if you are able to in your posts, it may focus dealers and manufacturers more on their customer service.

colin - 2007-05-06 2:02 PM

Vernon

You oviously feel hard done by and may have posted the info before (I'm having a bit of a stressful time at present and heads spinning) but do name and shame if you are able to in your posts, it may focus dealers and manufacturers more on their customer service.

It's not so much feeling hard done by as feeling frustrated about a situation that too many of us experience and should not be happening in what is now a "well established/mature" industry. As this thread shows most people will be very happy with their purchases as I have been over the last 35 years but others like Russell will get the "lemon" and there's no obvious means of redress. Unlike the motor industry I doubt whether the motorhome/caravan producers have improved their quality measurably over the last twenty years as evidenced by the various surveys reported in the Caravan Club Magazine.

While quality problems can never be totally erradicated manufacturing techniques and systems have been developed that can ensure that they only represent a tiny proportion of the whole. The motor/electronics industry now measure their quality levels in "parts per million", the motorhome/caravan industry still talks about "percentages" and high percentages at that! If they only had the sense to analyse the costs that they incur through production waste and warranty claims they'd realise how much better off we'd all be if they came into the 21 century.

As far as naming and shaming; I have two reasons for not going public. Firstly I'm still in these cowboy's hands and any public criticism will hurt me more than it will them. Secondly I don't believe this problem is limited to particular dealers, 'van makes, models or countries of origin. Sadly it is more a symptom of an industry/trade which so far hasn't needed to improve its standards by being exposed to the rigours of true competition and consummerism. Hopefully that won't last forever and in my tiny tiny way I'm hoping to raise awareness of these issues and give them a push in the right direction.

Vernon

Archived